Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

NBR.... re-reading!

33 posts, 20 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
I love to read, especially when it's disgusting outside.  Curling up with a cuppa or glass of red, heater/blanket on, and a good book is super super relaxing.

I'm odd though in that I'll happily re-read things a million times....

What will you re-read?  For me, the Outlander (Cross Stitch) series, Harry Potter series, Twilight series,  Clan of the Cave Bear series, anything by Louise Bagshawe, Sophie Kinsella, Jodie Piccoult, Marian Keyes, Lesley Pearse Bryce Courtenay etc can be read and re-read without me getting bored at all.  

Every now and then I'll read something new, especially if it's by one of the people above, but I re-read more than I read!
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Great thread. I re-read what I consider to be the classics of my childhood: Harry Potter, Sweet Valley High, and Famous Five.

I love re-reading. I love re-watching movies and TV shows too.
shazatron101
5112 posts
I do this! I have read Dan Browns books so many times over (he wrote the Da Vinci code as well as many other amazing ones), but I also have read HP like, 13 times over, and I just bought a book thats the last of a trilogy, and I'm thinking I need to reread the first 2 before I open this one to have a caught up mind :D 
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
I love reading, it is my favourite past-time.

I recently re-read Junky by William S Burroughs and have re-read White Oleander numerous times. Probably the books I have re-read the most times are Leonard Coen's Book of Longing, American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis, A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry, Maus by Art Spiegelma, Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk, Blog Del Narco by Anon, El Sicario by Molly Maloy and Charles Bowden and the Pleasures of the Damned and the Most Beautiful Woman in Town by Charles Bukowski. 

One of my all time favourite books is Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut. I love it so much and it made such an impact on me that I got a tattoo of one of the drawings from it.

I have a heap of other books I have re-read and would read over and over but I don't want to bore everyone haha.

Books are my favourite thing in the world.
Kimrose
1418 posts
Trudi, I love the Outlander series as well. I have read it through once and back tomit again. I also have watched the first in the series. I bought the DVD. Loved it. Cant wait until I see the second one.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Pifithrin oh my gosh I think I read every single Sweet Valley High book, and the Sweet Valley Twins ones before that.... and the Babysitters Club, and the Gymnasts, and Trixie Belden, and those RL Stine and Christopher Pike teen horror stories. . . . plus Sherryl Jordan and Gaylene Gordon and all sorts!

Shaz haha yeah I reread a series before i read the latest one quite often!

Jessicka it's great how you can lose yourself in stories you're enjoying eh?

Kim I watched a few epis when it first started but I'm super behind, I'll catch myself up eventually <3 it was SO well cast!
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Trudijoy I picked up ten or so in mint condition from an op shop recently and am looking forward to diving in! Oooh yes Goosebumps and Babysitters Club!

My all-time favourites to re-read are Roald Dahl, specifically his short stories for adults.
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Omg definitely Sweet Valley High, Sweet Valley University (loved the twins Jessica and Elizabeth), I used to re-read those books over and over.  I haven't read them in such a long time but I bet I would still love them even now as an adult.  And most definitely the The Famous Five and The Secret Seven, I still have some of those. Don't judge lol, but I can quite happily re-read Fifty Shades of Grey over and over, my favourite book series as an adult lol
trudijoy
8375 posts
annnnnnd now I have the jingle from the Sweet Valley High game in my head.

You can be a Sweet Valley girl, going with a Sweet Valley guy, living in a Sweet Valley world, getting into Sweet Valley High! Now you too can get into Sweet Valley High...the game, that is!
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I can re read the Hobbit & Lord of the Rings anytime, I borrowed them off my brother as a teenager and never returned them. I have destroyed them from reading so much and I have rebought the books and a happily destroying my set now. Harry Potter and Percy Jackson are good for reading and switching off I find. However I can never turn down a Mills and Boon romance novel for some reason.
idomakeupnz
150 posts
My all time favourite author is Kathy Reichs, she has a whole series based around the same character but I can't seem to get past the first 5 or 6 books because I end up re-reading them all! I have re-read them 5+ times, it's absolutely ridiculous haha.
Another series I have re-read multiple times is The Tomorrow Series by John Marsden. I've read each book close to 10 times and I still cry and get surprised by what happens every time.

I tend to read series more so than single novels, it's more fulfilling for me The amount of times I've gotten a couple of chapters away from the end of a book and just stopped is stupid hah, I can't bring myself to finish it if it's a good book because it just depresses me.
But if I do finish a book and I love it, I will re-read it over and over again. Two examples of that are both by Nicholas Evans - The Loop and The Horse Whisperer. Both are two of my all time favourite books and again, I cry every time.

Some of my other favourite books are:
- The Midnight Club by Christopher Pike.
- Secrets by Lesley Pearse.
- Blood Price by Jon Evans.
- Night of Knives by Jon Evans.
- Summer of the Cicada by Will Napier.
- Heaven Eyes by David Almond.
- The Girl Nextdoor by Jack Ketchum.
- The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson.
- The Outsiders by S.E Hinton.
- Kitty by Deborah Challinor.
- The Heroin Diaries: A Year in the Life of a Shattered Rock Star by Nikki Sixx.

Reading is one of my favourite things to do, I can easily devour a whole book in one sitting if I'm emotionally invested in it. 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I've stopped re-reading books. I have too many on my list of books to read that I feel I'll never get to discover new ones if I keep re-reading old ones! 

I use Goodreads to research new books, keep track of what I've read and what I still want to read.  I currently have 496 books on my to-read list, of which 136 are sitting on my Kindle.  My goal for this year is to read 60 books and I'm currently on book 29, so I may or may not achieve my goal.

Some of my favourite books and authors include (there are far too many to list them all): 

- Call the Midwife series by Jennifer Worth
- Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
- The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
- The Summerhouse by Jude Deveraux
- Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes
- Spud series by John van de Ruit (these were based in the area that I grew up in)
- Kay Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwall
- Riley Jenson Guardian series by Keri Arthur
- Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs
- Veil Between Worlds by Sally Dubats
- Game of Thrones series by George R.R. Martin
- Earth's Children series by Jean M. Auel
- The Inheritance Cycle series by Christopher Paolini
- The Little Women / Little Men series by Louisa May Alcott
- Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
- Maeve Binchy
- Jodi Picoult
- Nicholas Sparks
- Sophie Kinsella 

Who else uses Goodreads?
Qweenkaren
313 posts
I love all the Terry Pratchet books, and can happily re-read these. HP are good to re-read. I dont know how many times I have read Joan of Arc and Papillon. 
Macs
5351 posts
I haven't read a book ever since I started having children. Would love to have time to read a book. I must look up some of these titles. A friend emailed me Fifty Shades of Grey but I never got around to reading it. 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Macs, you should try reading a few chapters each night before going to bed. You'll be surprised how quickly you can finish a book that way.

I don't get to read much during the day, except maybe on the weekends, but I do make time to read for about an hour each night.  I find I sleep better when I do and it's a nice way for my brain to unwind and switch off with no mobile phone or computer / tablet distractions.
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
Trudi - it is awesome how you can lose yourself in a book, it is one of the most treasured things in life for me. I love this thread!
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Ah so many of my favourite books from growing up being mentioned here. And I always felt like I was the only one that read them; Famous Five, Trixie Belden, Sweet Valley High etc. I tried to re-read Nancy Drew recently and sadly found I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I did as a kid. But I can read the modern Nancy Drew. Whereas with Sweet Valley High I prefer the originals. As for Enid Blyton, even as an adult I still find books like The Faraway Tree to have something special about them. As do the Harry Potter books. I can't count how many times I've re-read those.

In terms of books I more so re-read today. My favourite is Kerry Greenwood's Corinna Chapman and Phyrne Fisher series. Corinna in particular I can just read over and over again. There's a few other crime one's I've read a few times, but in adult literature I've struggled to find books that I want to re-read as much. But a few good sounding ones have been mentioned on here, so I shall looking into some of those.

You've also all inspired me for my next few months of 'book of the month' on my blog.

Anyway...off to the library ;P
MareeB
5242 posts
 l love reading too. I love tons of different authors - fiction and non fiction. I' currently re-reading Autobiography of a Yogi and will probably read it 100 times before I die. I love all the same authors as the other ladies - Maeve Binchy, Sophie Kinsella, Marion Keyes, my favourites are Pamela Oldfield but her books are mostly impossible to get now, and Helen Forrester, who didn't write many, so I have to re-read the ones I have.
MareeB
5242 posts
Speaking of good stories, and news just to hand (for me anyway), the new Planet of the Apes movie (War for the Planet of the Apes) is coming out in July 2017 -YEE_AAAH!!! I'm going to have to look after myself so I live long enough to see it!!!
shazatron101
5112 posts
I'm actually quite terrified of the Planet of the Apes movies... The one with James Franco that was on TV not long ago was okay, but the older ones... big fat NOPE hahahaha
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I've never seen it actually. Have heard plenty about it though. The two movies I'm quite keen to see which are both book spin offs are Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them (Harry Potter Spin Off) and Bridget Jones's Diary 3 (Bridget Jones's Diary Series).
trudijoy
8375 posts
no no no no no no no bad BR, BAD.

I can't even with the talking monkeys. They legit freak me out. Even seeing the name of the movie made my skin crawl, and if theres a trailer or something on I can't look and try not to hear. I'm like, phobic or something.
MareeB
5242 posts
Oh no ladies, that's such a shame! I'm such an Ape-nerd! I have every Ape movie ever made, and when I bought the old ones last year I remembered the plots of each of them (even some of the lines) from when I was a child! I've watched them heaps, I can't get enough. Oh dear - I didn't realise everyone didn't love them!!!.
MareeB
5242 posts
Oh yes itclearascrystal, I'll watch anything Harry Potter related too, I LOVE the special effects and imagination behind it. My other secret indulgence is Zoolander, the subtle humour has me in stitches every time. The second isn't as good the first though.

One of my fav ever books was Flowers in the Attic, that started a long love affair with Virginia Andrews books. The movie murdered the book brutally and violently though :(
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I have a series from Lauren Kate targeted for young adults but I absolutely love the series and have re read them 3 times now. I could easily keep re reading them. I love getting lost in a good book :)
kirstyj
1732 posts
I've been re-reading the little house on the prairie books even though they are meant for young adults. Nice and easy to read and transport me to such a different time.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Me three with the ape films. Uggghhhh!!!! They gave me nightmares as a kid. As did the pilot of Six Million Dollar Man. I remember watching them with my grandad and then having nightmare all night. 
-Bex-
611 posts
I could read these over and over
a child called it
the lost boy
a man named Dave
all written by Dave Pelzer so so sad but so good. There have been so many good books like those ones that I have read but can't for the life of me remember what they were called. I was hoping I would see one of the titles pop up and i would click but not yet haha
Head Pixie
569 posts
Books and beauty - my two favourite things in the world. (Ooops, sorry little human and the husband... but they're not 'things' so don't count, right??)

Stephen King's earlier work is known to have a re-read or five. 
Anything by David Sedaris too. In fact he's possibly my most favourite writer in the world. 

Absolutely inhaled BSC, SVH, SVT, TB, and ND when I was younger. 

Other than that I don't re-read all that much these days, as most of my reading is now romance-focussed for research purposes (cough, not really because I adore a sassy and smart contemporary romance), so I like to see how different authors tackle situations and ideas.

LOVING this thread.

Chaotic82
522 posts
I don't get a lot of time to read, so I don't re-read as much as I used to.  I've read the Tomorrow When the War Began series countless times.  Also the Outlander books, loving seeing it come to life in the series.  If I don't have anything that I'm dying to read I will often re-read a Sheryl Jordan book - they don't take too long and I love the way she writes.
Some books above I'm going to have to add to my wishlist on the Book Depository.
I have a huge collection of books,  I just can't bring myself to change to a Kindle, I like real books.
trudijoy
8375 posts
With you on the book vs kindle thing Chaotic82.... Books should have paper pages to me
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
I too love to read but I don't read enough I love to read self improvement books or books with positive affirmations aswell as positive parenting books etc. It's hard to find books that are relevant to my situation single mother of five, two of which are whangai. However if I ever remember bios that I read pre children it would the novels by V.C Andrews.
My current rereads are The Bible both old and New Testaments yet I haven't fully read thru the whole bible but I do reread verses or books with in echo testament. Another book I do reread is The 5 love languages for children & teens by Gary Chapman.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I used to feel the same way about Kindle vs books and for a long time I felt that my Kindle was "cheating". I hated the feel of it and missed the smell and feel of actual books.  But, my Kindle does have its advantages and I've learnt to love it.  It's environmentally friendly (no trees have to be cut down), it's small and lightweight, easy to travel with, doesn't add weight to luggage and I never have to worry about running out of something to read as it holds so many books.  

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!