Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Natural Remedies

19 posts, 9 members
jalb88
121 posts
Yesterday while I was out doing some gardening, I found a HUGE plant growing under our lime tree. After a quick google we confirmed it was kawakawa. I was SO excited after hearing all the amazing things this does for your skin. So I soaked some leaves in hot water and applied them to my face which is currently having a massive break out! I wasn't too sure how to use it for acne, so any tips would be appreciated! What else have you guys used kawakawa for? And have you also had some awesome finds in nature and used them to help with certain ailments? I'd love to know!! 
Ringy
825 posts
never heard of it but off to google it now- I love trying natural/home remedies.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I've heard of it being used as a tea. I like to have a lavender plant nearly for its relaxing properties and lovely smell. Other than that I buy the plants already premade into a natural(ish) remedy such as aloe vera gel.
Ringy
825 posts
All googled up now. Wasn't as simple as typing it in! There's a town, a river, a tree and a fern! 
Lucky for you to have one growing. Says you can eat the berries but I'm always scared to eat random backyard berries!
Ataraxia
82 posts
I've used it in creams & balms for a multitude of purposes. It's naturally antibacterial and anti-inflammatory but I've always been told to make sure to use leaves that insects have been eating
Toni-Lee
503 posts
You can use the gel of the aloe vera plant on cuts, minor wounds and cold sores.
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Kawakawa certainly has a lot of medicinal properties. I would really like to learn about NZ plants and Maori healing arts at some point. Being an import I'm not familiar with most of the native plants here.
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Aloe Vera is very good when I had my accident and was admitted into hospital U had tones of open wounds and the surgeons nurses gave tonne of medicing and ointments my mum put aloe Vera on one of my cuts and we used the hospital swe did this on wounds that were deep but no stitched precautionary measures and the cut that had aloe Vera plant put on it well the scarring was small compared to the other cut where the scarring developed into growth so it's raised and bumpy it also took longer to heal into a scab etc so I have put a tattoo on that scar as it is a big brown lump.
Kawa Kawa is amazing as the raw product bathing in it great but also the ointment is good it's does what pawpaw ointment is suppose to do except kawakawa is exactly thst usually made from the plant and a few other ingredients it's also means sour sour.
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
I'm also not trying in anyway to prescribe or endorse these remedies I'm simply sharing my experience with these particular plant remedies
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
AmandaJane I have NZ M?ori plant remedies book you can find it in the library fyi
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Thank you, I will check it out :)
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
You're welcome I'll go check out my books now so I can get you the name x
Macs
5351 posts
Theres a couple of workshops running on how to make them (they sell out fast though). If you can extract the essence from the plant you can turn it into balms for healing . My mum used it for the gout and made a pultice where she layered muslin cloth over the area soaked leaves in hot water left them to infused and bathed in it. Can be used in a tonic but you need to select the right leaves.
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Poultice are great and I forgot about that Macs they run the rongoa wananga up your way alot aye Macs?
Macs
5351 posts
They have heaps of workshops running in my area. My aunties run a healing centre in Waiohau Clinic. Using traditional maori medicines.
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
I have a kawakawa ointment thst my friend made me and I just apply it directly to my area of concern in this case this week it was a hormonal pimple which is dried up now. I'd say if you're experiencing breakouts from doing this it's usually the case of working by drawing out the toxins before it can heal them but I'm not homeopath... usually the case with natural remedies thought they draw out the toxins before they fix them. Where as synthetic stuff such as antibiotics just treat it by subduimg the cause meaning they're still in the system just on hibernation. Natural draws out the nasties to cleanse the system of them. Hope I make sense again not MD or ND
jalb88
121 posts
Thanks for all the tips lovelies!! I will def try using the liquid I get from soaking the leaves on a flannel on my face. I could feel my chin tingling when I put the leaf on last night so I'm sure it was doing something! So awesome how healing nature can be. Whats the theory behind using the leaves the bugs have been at ?! And how cool would a workshop be- will look into it xx
janini9
341 posts
Funny story - on a school camp as Mother help and in the bush with a bunch of year 9 girls and the Island Ranger starts telling us how Kawkawa is used for toothache as it has anesthetising properties. Moi, decides to chew a few leaves to see if indeed it would numb my mouth. Well, the leaves were very bitter so I spat them out and started mouthing off that it doesn't work. Nek minute, my tongue goes numb, then my mouth, then the back of my throat, then my windpipe and I'm starting to panic. I can't swallow, my throat and whole oesophagus are numb, I'm not sure I can breathe and the ranger is laughing. 
By the time we got to camp, I was back to normal with only a tingle to remind me about the folly of chomping on strange plants.
janini9
341 posts
Kawakawa tea is nice and soothing, plus there is an awesome small boutique business from Great Barrier who make wellness tonics, Ahi-Ka, using native bush leaves and other organic ingredients. They are yum - you find them in health shops, whole food shops and places like Farro Foods.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!