Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Musings on statuses.

55 posts, 34 members
First Lady
957 posts
Hello all,

So you know we aim for transparency, on the good and not-so.  We've received some off-site comments expressing disappointment in our choices for Heroes.

Receiving emails telling us x, y and z don't deserve it, but a,b and c do, all felt a little too Mean Girls for me, so after chatting with the crew, I've decided to reiterate some things about statuses openly, as well as in reply to these messages.

It is a coloured badge on an online profile.  It is our way of saying "hey you, thank you for everything you've put it into the site lately, we see you and we appreciate you".  It is not something to get upset over, to rant over or to bash somebody else over.  Take it in, shake your head or growl at your screen if you disagree, and move on with your evening.

We will not comment on any one member's appointment of Hero.   As with lots of aspects of the site, Hero spots are limited and demand is high, there will always be people who feel they've missed out.  But there will always be another quarter, another vault, another trial team.

And indeed, there are other beauty sites and forums. We value all of our members, we really do, you've turned an idea of a cool beauty site into nearly 100,000 reviews - it's incredible, we have to pinch ourselves.  But we cannot please everyone, we don't even pretend to try.  We try to do the best we can for the site.

We always recommend you participate to the level you enjoy, as soon as it becomes a chore, step back!  We want this to be your fun place!And if the fit is no longer right, that's all gravy, just drop us a line and we can close your account without drama.

So let's just say woohoo to our new Heroes and Superheroes and get to 100,000 reviews.  Because I've literally just been adding images to the prize list, and well, don't tell anyone but I think Queenie may have been having a royally good tipple when she gave this the nod of approval!xx

P.S - As for favouritsm, we've downgraded Heroes we genuinely adore to give other members a go, I've personally downgraded friends and even my sister!  

Ksjc_nz
370 posts
<3 I obviously miss a lot of what goes on, I think you guys do an amazing job of working out the badges, and it must be so hard with so many deserving people and only so many spots available. 
I've never had a hero badge, but I get so excited to see people I've got to know a little on here get promoted - I hope anyone who gets a bit caught up in disappointment can be happy for those who got a turn this time around xx
Rajvee2588
221 posts
Thanks First Lady and BR crew. I couldn't believe it. I got hero badge.... Am I dreaming.... Can u plz somebody pinch me so I realise that I amn't dreaming. Thank you very much.
Ringy
825 posts
OMG - your sister! Hope you weren't planing on getting anything nice for Christmas! Lol! Totes awks! 
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Sorry to see that this post is necessary. Great work to all at BR HQ & to us all who participate in this site we call & know as Beauty Review.
I agree with all that's in your post & it doesn't determine who were are as individuals come on wahine ma (ladies ) build each other up & be encouraged that we have such a site in NZ where we can exercise our love of all things beautiful x
Pifithrin
1243 posts
'Coloured badge on an online profile' - so accurate, no more needs to be said! I really enjoy BR but it's only a teeny sliver of my life.

Thanks again team for all you do, and congrats to Heros old and new!
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
This whole website is just such an amazing opportunity. The badges are a nice wee extra and gives that extra bit to work towards :) And BR's way of saying thanks, along side the Vault that nearly everyone gets to participate in. I'm sorry to hear you have had to deal with negativity. I don't think the BR crew take the badge decision lightly either. So thanks BR team for your hard work as well. Unfortunately not everyone will be happy. You can't please everyone ae!
trudijoy
8375 posts
Idk why people feel the need to email you like that then expect to be chosen for perks.... True colours etc hey? I imagine that some emails just prove to you that your choices were right.

i was a hero/super for well over a year and life has gotten in the way of BR lately. It's also gotten in the way of the gym and several other things. I was expecting that hero status would go to those with a bit more site-time and am going to go ahead and assume I'm adored ;) 

long story short, emailing complaining that you don't get a perk is petty and personally, I have bigger things to worry about right now

thanks BR for my months of perks. I did appreciate them :)
Emily-jane
314 posts
Firstly I felt very humbled and privileged to receive a hero badge today, I wasn't expecting it. I really enjoy being part of this beauty site and would like to acknowledge the hard work and dedication of the BR crew. Thanks for making this site so awesome! Sadly you can't please everyone.
P.s first lady your baby boy is super adorable :)
First Lady
957 posts
Ringy - it was a couple of years ago (she actually introduced me to BR and I joined up as a member before receiving the royal summons).  

It was our first status change and the next day she came round my house and said 'I don't have my yellow badge anymore!'.  And I just sang 'You're not a Hero', Bonnie Tyler style.

I'm the big sister.  It's my job to irritate her.

Emily_jane - naw thanks!  He's holding his thumb up in that pic, he looks like a lil smug politician.  I might change my forum footer to 'Billy Bob approves this message'.  

Everyone else - thank you so much for your positivity and all round awesomeness.  Now stay tuned...we'll be launching our 100,000 review thang this week/end. 

xox
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
That's a real shame to hear people are being petty. Look forward to hearing more about this 100,000 thang. So exciting to see us getting closer to 100,000 reviews. That's huge :)
Rezee
1964 posts
Well, I don't know how anyone could think you play favorites if you don't even give your sister an automatic hero pass! I understand it would be sad to lose the hero badge, I would have been a bit gutted to if I had. Not enough to email of course! Not being a hero though, doesn't mean you are not a great, contributing member!
-Bex-
611 posts
Its sad that some people get so caught up on the badges and don't look at the whole picture. Badge or no badge really what does it matter? We are all here for the same thing, beauty products and makeup! 
2lilmnkys
106 posts
Thanks BR. This is a bit new for me so when I saw my status I thought theres been a glitch. Was just about to drop an email but checked the forum first. I always thought status were given according to the points???

Much appreciated.
Koni
444 posts
Head Pixie mentioned in March that membership was heading towards the 30K mark; we're almost (or already are) 30K strong so BR have a difficult task every quarter having to choose heros and supers not to mention everything else they do to help make this place one we want to visit everyday. Badge or no badge I adore BR and the lovelies that help make it what it is. 
Head Pixie
569 posts
Hey 1lilmnky, congrats on your new badge!

To answer your question... heroes aren't points based. They're chosen each quarter based on their reviewing regularly, being active on the site (Forum/Photo Wall etc), for helping spread the BR love across social media. And then there's the embodying of the spirit of Beauty Review - which to me is like being an ambassador for BR - being positive, friendly, helpful... basically being an awesome human being to the BR Community.

I hope that helps :) xoxox
mallomiss
569 posts
wow! I'm shocked this post is necassary! 

Keep up the good work Ladies!
Qweenkaren
313 posts
congrats to all the ladies who have their new badges.
Looking forward to all the new things BR brings. There arent many sites who hold my attention for as long as Ive been a member here (nearly 2 years)!
2lilmnkys
106 posts
Thanks Head Pixie. Your post was very helpful. You guys are awesome!
shazatron101
5112 posts
Rajvee!! I've missed you and your babies beautiful face! Congrats on the hero badge x And to all the other heros that kept theirs, or gained one! Weeee party :-D

It's a bit stink you're getting hate mail!! If they don't like it they know where the 'log out' button is! 
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
That's pretty stink that someone took the time to email that, did they think you guys would suddenly change the SH statuses to their suggestions? Lol.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Hate mail is not cool and it's not going to change anything, so I really don't see the point of it.  Sorry to hear that the BR Team had to put up with this last night.  

It really is an honour to get and have a BR badge.  I was honoured to be a Hero for the last two quarters.  I did lose my badge last night and not from lack of trying to keep it.  Am I sad to see it go?  Of course, but I'm really happy for those 'newbies' who have been granted this honour and now have a chance to experience what it's like to be a Hero.  

I don't feel that losing a badge is a personal thing, it's just something that needs to happen to make way for new people to have the experience, too.  BR would be a boring place if the Heroes and SuperHeroes ended up being a neverending cycle of the same group of people each quarter.  

Embrace your badge while you have it and remember it fondly once it's gone ... it may come back again one day!
RamblingRose
1280 posts
One last thing ... the staggered release of the SuperHero annoucements was awesome!  Such suspense and anticipation!  It added much needed excitement to the middle of the week.
pintsize
1072 posts
Well said Silvene I think everyone has said what is on my mind
and like Jess mentioned what did they think would be the outcome?

The BR crew are all people with feelings too, and I am sure a lot of thought goes in to selecting the right people... hate mail isn't going to help anyone.

xx
Artemis
311 posts
BR crew, I certainly wouldn't want to be in your shoes having to choose each quarter - I think you do a great job, and know its not easy.
Rajvee2588
221 posts
Missed you to shaza. Thank you. Hero badge is totally surprise for me. It's honoured to have it. Congratulations to become super hero. 
Marcel
335 posts
Congrats to new hero’s and super’s! When I realized I had a yellow badge this morning, it blew my mind lol. I hadn’t even considered the possibility that I may have a chance to warrant that yellow badge, as i’m not very active in the social aspect, but I do observe and I’ve always spent a lot of time on the site and writing reviews since I joined BR. Thanks BR crew, it really goes to show that you really do (although I didn’t doubt it), see all across the site, recognizing and appreciating everyone who loves spending time and contributing to the site, regardless of their apparent visibility.
2lilmnkys
106 posts
Congratulations to everyone who got their badges!
Macs
5351 posts
When I saw this thread last night, I was disapointed. At first I didnt want to comment.

It was so exciting to see the the supers and heroes. I love guessing whos going to make it. I like having a bet on certain people.

I feel for you Nat, because you put so much effort into this site. I can only imagine how many nasty emails you must recieve. I love that you share these experiences with us . It feels like my big sister is telling me about her day. That is special.

As for keeping my badge I am thankful. I congratulate you all. Thank you all for your sounding words of advice and experience that you all have shared. I laughed here, cried and got angry here. Thats what makes BR so special to me.

Sorry for the long story much luv Macs xxx
tannygirl
3392 posts
Wow really?! So soon after an amazing rewards sale. Honestly, I didn't at all expect to get a badge and I would've been just as happy being a member without one. So if postage for the vault getting refunded that huge a deal someone else can have my badge. I'm grateful for everything I got in the vault, I don't need the badge to be thankful that goes into this site or to be happy member and active participant on this site. Seriously I spend big bucks or what seems like big bucks in comparison to my allowance on beauty products (that's probably why my reviews aren't all sunshine and flowers, "You're the Best, watch me dance in flower fields with rainbows beaming down" if a company convinces me to hand over my cash for their product I have expectations). Of course, if it's a great product my fingers do a happy dance all over the keyboard, if not my fingers go for an upset jog over the keyboard. So really the shipping costs in comparison, to the ammount of work and free products you get isn't really much.
First Lady
957 posts
Ah ladies, I've just checked in after a busy day and the posts from the day have made me feel  proud to work for a site that fosters this sense of community.

Macs - your post was so kind, thank you so much, I'm very touched. xxx

Lutece
1849 posts
First lady what a cute profile pic, awwww <3

I am sad and sorry to hear that there has been some off-site trouble with statuses.
Beauty review has taken anything and everything beauty related to the next level which has been great for us, I have friends living overseas and they are so sad that they dont have anything like this over there. I count myself lucky and fortunate to be a part of Beauty review, especially being a second time Super hero and making some life time friends, thank you Beauty review :)

ragingfrog
1289 posts
I don't check in on the forum for 1/2 a week and this happens. Wow.

Nat, you and the rest of the people behind the scenes work hard to bring us this site and I suspect it might be a bit of a thankless job at times so I will say it as best I can. Thank you BR team for all the hard work that is put in behind the scenes at Beauty Review to bring us this website, trial products, vault and listening to us to set up the slightly more commercial site BBBE.

Whoever said it is a badge on a website is right and if you missed this time look at what some did to get there and see where you can improve to get the badge. Just remember the word no is an anagram for Next Opportunity and fail actually stands for First Attempt in Learning.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Well said, ragingfrog!

I do like what you've said about 'no' and looking for Next Opportunities and the word fail standing for First Attempt In Learning.  I definitely need to remember that during those times when I'm too hard on myself and tend to beat myself up over silly mistakes and perceived failures.   Thank you for sharing that.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Silvene I got an email from another site I go to on occasion and they had all these tips on insurance, the industry in which I work, which I felt accused inurance agents of being crooks and being equal with politicians. It's not my fault people don't read documents even when told to. I was feeling relatively offended still after 24 hours before hopping on here to see this.
siouxsannah
261 posts
Despite being active on the site I didn't realise the statuses were changing, and then I logged in and saw I had a Yellow badge! I thought that was nice, but I didn't realise they were assigned, and that they could be removed. I had to read through the forums to see what the status changes mean. Thank you BR. I can't believe people would write to you to complain about not receiving one. 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Sorry you've been getting responses and emails like this, I hate that whole entitlement thing. You have done and continue to do so many wonderful things for us members.

I've met some amazing people in person and online since joining BR and for that I feel truly blessed. I haven't had a badge for awhile, I'm not upset because I know there are other members on here that have worked so hard to earn those badges, so they totally deserve them.

So a massive congrats to you lovelies and a massive congrats to you lovelies at BR Headquarters and thank you xxxx
MrsRosie
214 posts
Hey ladies, just checking in after a few busy days at work (woohoo) and see my badge has gone. Im quite surprised that you would second guess yourselves. Im feeling a bit deflated but Im sure the BR crew see more than us from behind the scenes. Well done and congrats to the new heros xox
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Oh, no! Sorry to hear you lost your badge, MrsRosie.  I wonder if it's just those system gremlins or if there's a reason behind it?  
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Oh no MrsRosie,I was so excited when I saw you were moved up to a hero. I don't think BR just remove badges 'willy nilly' (*really hoping I am using that expression right haha) and its probably just a glitch in the system. Maybe send them through an email to see what happened? 
First Lady
957 posts
Hello,

So I've been riding on miniture trains all day (never, ever buy a 3 year old train nerd the 40 ride season pass) You will be straddling a train, wearing a baby for hours.  My thighs felt the burn) and have just checked in!

No badges have been removed, honest!  The system was on autopilot, and was reverting MrsRosie's status back down due to a missed deadline for a trial.  Which wasn't really missed because that foundation went on a tiki tour, and we knew all about it, but the system is a staunch thing and likes to weild her power as and when.

So we are all good in the hood I hope!

***Beauty Review does not negotiate with grumpy email senders***  

xox

Edited just to add...I'm on email pretty much 24/7, so you can always drop the crew inbox a line with any pressing concerns - I might not be able to fix them right away (Natalie does not do phones) but I will probably be able to tell you what's the haps. xx

shazatron101
5112 posts
Pretty jealous of the trains! But soon, I'll be able to see them everrrryyyy day!! >:D 
MissQT
1547 posts
 I knew there had to be some explanation! Sounds like you had an eventful day Riding trains Nat!
Macs
5351 posts
Funny I was thinking of taking my kids for a train ride today but we went to the wave pools instead. I should of chose the train damn it I would of got out of washing wet togs.

Oh Mrs Rosie, here I was celebrating with you on becoming a hero. Then when I looked at your profile on friday I noticed the change. Was waiting to see what was happening. Im glad to still see you here.

MrsRosie
214 posts
OH YIPPEE it's like getting the badge all over again. Thanks so much for clarifying everything First Lady I feel so much better now! I'm not one that likes to be in trouble - as you know from my trial. Everything makes sense now.
I have a feeling you might be dreaming of trains tonight! xx
First Lady
957 posts
Haha MrsRosie I still can't believe it made it to you in one piece, you were very patient!

Ah train dreams...Milky Chops sleepwalks around the house shouting 'train, train I'm here, I have my ticket. ALL ABOARD' and then falls asleep on the floor of the lounge.  Last week I woke up about 3am and he was sitting on the sofa in the dark reciting train names. I have raised a nerd.

xox
Kimrose
1419 posts
I love BR, some might even say I am an addict (husband) but this is truly my happy place.  It saddens me when some here take it so seriously that they feel the need to be abusive in their emails. Honestly, take a chill pill gals and enjoy BR for what it is. Nat and the beauty crew do the MOST amazing job at keeping us interested and excited. Thanks ladies, you are all heros!
shazatron101
5112 posts
OMG miiilllky staaahhhpp! That's so freakin cute! Buy him all the trains, fuel the obsession >:D 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Glad to see that it was just a system glitch and that MrsRosie hadn't actually lost her Hero badge.
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Yay! Glad too see the badge back MrsRosie :)

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!