Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Most Disappointing Product(s)

77 posts, 27 members
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
Were they hyped? Were they just by a brand that you usually love? Or were you trying out a new brand and you just happened to get a failure product? I just filmed a video on 5 of my most disappointing products, so now I need to knoooow. You've probably heard but my Cargo Shanghai Nights palette was my most recent disappointment. Not enough pigmentation in most of the shadows unfortunately :( 
mallomiss
569 posts
Mine is the W7 "In the Nude" Pallette... I had read reviews on this before I purchased and they are mixed... Sadly for me... every shade except for maybe 3 all look the same and have hardly any colour pay off what so ever.. 
Also a Maybelline Foundation... I think it's an Anti aging one. Maybelline is usually awesome, but this may as well just be a tinted moisturiser.
shazatron101
5112 posts
Yup. For me Hurraw was a giant fail, I got it because of the hype and I thought it was super dumb. The Australis contour palette was another - if anyone wants to buy it off me that'd be great ;-). Tailor mask is a recent fail I tried, but luckily that was only sample sized! And lastly cos I don't want to bore anyone, the Collection Cosmetics mascara, hyped up by Shaaanxo. I got it in the vault last time so I don't know if it was dried out or what, but it was awful. 
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
I didn't love the AC On Tour kit either! And The Maybelline Superstay Better Skin foundation is so orange.. got the lightest shade and it's waaay too dark. 
ChristineHoll
152 posts
I'm still pretty disappointed with my Anastasia Beverly Hills contour palette. I think part of the issue is I was expecting it to be creamy or similar to a cream but it's "just" powder and I can't get the highlights to show on my skin (except for the shimmery one). I try it again every now and then but it's just not happening for me.
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
I don't even wanna try the ABH contour kit. I do want to try the Kat Von D, the NYX and the Too Faced Cocoa Contour palettes, but then again I'm loving Chocolate Soleil as a really natural contour shade. 
chikoboo
3402 posts
The AC contour palette was a huge disappointment, it was super hyped and I was over the moon when I got it, but it was all chalky and sat on my face oddily, didn't blend well over foundation or on naked skin, was over that pretty quickly.  LASplash lipsticks, I had heard such good things about them and they just suck every inch of moisture out of my lips, but the heartbreaking thing is the colours are so beautiful I want to keep wearing them =(
mallomiss
569 posts
Oh yeah! The Collection Cosmetics (have I got that the right way around?) Mascara! The biggest disappointment! So dry and so crap! Though the Brush is good, so not a complete fail... 
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
I used the Collection Cosmetics mascara in the pink tube and thought it was fine, but (I assume you're talking about the purple one) I haven't tried that one. I was told it was a dupe for They're Real.
Pifithrin
1243 posts
The Rexona Clinical protection deodorant. So many good ratings, but it just gets all gunky and gross. Not worth the $15.
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
I used up the one I got in the March BRBB but I won't purchase it from the store. After a while it ended up working okay but not so well that I could justify the price tag. 
Macs
5351 posts
I agree Pithrin, that deodarant was a hot mess. It stained all my black lace tops.
MareeB
5241 posts
Soultime replenishing cream. I thought it looked organic and awesome, but it wasn't.
kirstyj
1732 posts
I'm quite glad by the sounds of this that I haven't bought any of the contour kits yet! I just thought I would only end up using two of the shades at most so what would be the point of a whole palette.

Most disapointing product... Probably the Garnier Micellar water. I had been using Bioderma for ages and thought it was awesome, so thought that could be a great dupe. But it really isn't!
Mila
1209 posts
For me Revlon photoready foundation was a pretty big disappointment, the L A Girl flat finish gloss just didn't work for me at all it just never sat right on my lips but I really wanted it to, L A Girl corrector it was just not the right formula or colour for me.
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Sad to say the most disappointing product (and it pains me to say it as I'm usually a massive fan) was the Bossy Cosmetic Hair Mask. Not sure if I was using it wrong but it just made my hair so greasy :-(
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Hmm mine would be the Essano Rosehip Oil. I couldn't get past the smell but apparently rosehip oil smells different to different people. It reminded me of a burnt match, so much so I put essential oils in to help get rid of it :(
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
Garnier Micellar water. It performed well, but it made me break out like crazy and it was no match for my ZA cleansing oil. Doublewear, Loving Tan and Hurraw were big disapointments and Glamglow was probably my most expensive disapointment. I have learnt to be a lot more picky with beauty products, and not fall into the hype. I don't HAVE to try something, just because it's popular, especially when the products I'm already using are doing a great job. 
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
Nearly every eye pencil I've brought. They never last long enough.
chloednz
217 posts
AmandaJane- my first bottle of trial sized Essano rosehip smelled fine, now I have the full size and like you say it has an unusual smoky scent to it! Once its absorbed it doesnt bother me but its so weird that one bottle will be fine and the next won't
trudijoy
8375 posts
Is it weird that I think if things smell different bottle to bottle then that makes me feel like the scents are more natural?  Because not all flowers smell exactly the same.  Or something... I'm tired haha.

I was disappointed with Baby Foot (sorry to be ungrateful!  It was a trial) because I didn't really anticipate how disgusting the peeling phase would be.

Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
My most recent disappointments have been:

Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara - I just couldn't get it to work for me, I much prefer my Covergirl Lashblast, which I guess is a good thing, gotta love preferring more affordable options!

Also the Kat Von D Lock It Tattoo foundation, I can never get it to look good past like the 2hour mark, I've had it a couple months now but I'm still trying to make it work because it wasn't cheap lol.

Aaand lastly was Lush Oatifix mask - My skin just didn't like it and it was SUCH a pain to remove, it leaves a thick film on your face that the oats stick to lol it was impossible.
chikoboo
3402 posts
SarahbeautyNZ I too am struggling with Too Faced better than sex but I do like the look it gives if I have time to fiddle with it as it is too clumpy and thick I think.  Once I applied it I have to use a clean spooler wand and work the mascara clumps through to thin it out and then it looks ok but it is a hassle which is disappointing I agree
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
I paid $40 for that mascara so I'm desperately hoping that I'm going to love it. 
Same here itsclearascrystal. I've had only one brand of eyeliner(well, just one of their lines) not spread on me. 
Macs
5351 posts
Yeah same here itscrystal, haven't used an eye liner yet that doesnt fade towards the end of the day.
StayClassy-xo
240 posts
I dunno but maybe I set too higher expectations for Garnier Micellar Water, I liked it at first but quickly became disappointed :(  I also wasn't a huge fan of the Moisture Mist mascara in the last beauty box :(  I need to write up some new reviews!
trudijoy
8375 posts
I'm also pretty disappointed with the Essence of Fiji Frangipani body lotion. It just isn't the epic thing i was expecting
shazatron101
5112 posts
Oh no Trudi! I loved that stuff haha is your review up?
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
On the opposite side of the spectrum, I was disappointed in The Body Shop Glazed Apple shower gel, but with the Peach one it makes my whole bathroom smell good AND lingers on my skin for like 18 hours!
trudijoy
8375 posts
Yup its up shaz lol you and whittakers lover rated it so high and i had big expectations but its just not for meeee
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
This is such a good thread! Have to defend the rexona clincal protection, i have used up three of these and they are pretty damn good (for me anyway), as for it staining, you need to let it dry before getting dressed x 

Glad i havent brought the AC palette because i was thinking about it. As for the better than sex mascara, i have it, and i hope it works for me, but my eyelashes suck so i doubt it.

My biggest dissapointed will also have to be the Bossy Cosmetics hair mask.. my hair looked like an oil slick.. yuck! Oh and the EOS balls were a big dissapointment for me too
Rezee
1964 posts
Great post, im sure I have heaps of stuff but off the top of my head. Revlon colourstay foundation, maybelline great lash and benefit they're real mascara. I think I probably have a tonne of mascara fails!
I do love the garnier water, I finished my bottle and than missed it so I had to quickly repurchase rsther than make do with what I already had.
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
Oh yeah the Moisture Mist mascara was bad. Wish I'd never used it so that I could give it to someone who loves it >.<
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Oh my goodness BinaryBeauty we could be twins lol, I too love the rexona deodorant, it's my holy grail. We totally should meet he he he xx
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Sounds like a date Mumof3munchkins  i will say that i am trying out a natural deoderant at the moment aswell to see if it can stand up to my high expectations! The black chicken deoderant, and looks like Rexona has some competion
It sucks when mascaras suck because you can't pass them onto anyone, which just makes them a complete waste of money
Thanks hun, that's the one I was trying to remember to try. Will definitely grab that one when the other one is finished x
trudijoy
8375 posts
i liked the MM Mascara!! It isn't a patch on my current one though (Covergirl Bombshell)
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Benefit's They're Real Push-up Liner.  There was a huge hype about it and I was extremely disappointed by the gel formula.  I hated the way it flaked and went patchy if I tried to go over an area a second time, especially if I was trying to fix up a small mistake or uneven line.  I did like the idea behind the pen, just not the gel inside it.
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Silvene i 100% agree with you. I loved the design and the idea behind the product. But the inconsitency with the formula just fustrated me. Some spots would last all day, and other spots would flake almost instantly!
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
I'm glad I'm not alone, Chikoboo, that's what I had to do as well (go in with a spoolie), but it just applied way too much product so I could never quite get the fluttery lash look out of it that I normally like, even when doing that. I loooved the Moisture Mist mascara though, mine officially dried up yesterday though *sob*

I have a new disappointing product - the new Bossy Prime & Fix. It smells AMAZING and it actually does work, as both a primer and setting spray, I made myself try it for 2days and loved the way it make my skin feel prior to makeup application, I also noticed a difference with how my makeup looked at the end of the day, but it has lavender oil in it, which based on current research I don't want to be putting directly on my skin, so I just can't bring myself to keep using it. I'm so sad about this one! If you don't mind putting lavender on your skin though, I would def recommend!
Rezee
1964 posts
Hi Sarah,  I was considering buying that one since I love setting sprays. Is lavender oil bad for our skin?
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
It depends whose research you believe, haha, but yeah as far as my understanding goes it acts in a similar way to alcohol on the skin, which can be drying and damaging to skin cells. Soo many brands use it though, so obviously a lot of people don't mind it in their skin care, I just have sensitive dry skin so it's not for me :)
sam_clarkson
205 posts
I am feeling the same way with the too faced better than sex mascara, I have a love/hate relationship with it

It makes my lashes look AMAZING but.... it flakes horribly waaahh. I have the deluxe sample size, im tempted to buy a big one to try again because I do love the look, ( isometimes use a clean mascara brush to apply it,) but I hate the flaking :(

I am now on the hunt for a new mascara

I love the bossy hair mask, my hair feels great after washing, maybe my hair is so dry it soaks in lol
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
That is really interesting about lavender. In all honestly, lavender is not a smell i really like anyway so will probably give this product a miss for that reason alone.  I am hating seeing all the bad stuff about the too faced better than sex mascara. I have it, but havent opened yet. I actually want to tear into it now to see if it is even worth my time
Oh that's a shame about the setting spray Sarah, I just bought this and am waiting for it to arrive. I can't wear products with alcohol in it so if lavender oil is similar I maybe a bit cautious to try it x
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
I'm not at all a fan of lavender scents either Binary, but this smells really sweet, kinda like vanilla, the lavender smell isn't overpowering at all in IMO.

Mumof3, my skin didn't react, it's more the long term effects that worry me. But I'm no professional so don't take my word as gospel! :)
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Thanks sweets will see how I go with it x
Rezee
1964 posts
oh thanks, I had no idea it was like that. I have dry skin and should avoid those sorts of things too.
I have an unopened better than sex sample too, I was going to make it my next mascara to use, I hope im one of the ones that likes it!

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!