Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Melbourne Trip

19 posts, 8 members
astylecollector
204 posts
Hey BR ladies, not so much beauty-related but I need tips! I haven't travelled internationally in 10 years (too long, I know) so I have no idea what's out there. I'm off to Melbourne for a week. Basically a shopping trip for me since I'm tagging along while my partner is working. I have 3 whole days to myself to shop, shop, shop! :D

I need to know where are the best places to shop in Melbourne either fashion and beauty. I've heard Priceline is pretty good but what brands are much cheaper in Australia? I don't really know if there's a big difference.

Also, what about Duty Free? Am I best to buy perfumes in Duty Free than in shops there or MAC makeup etc?

Lastly and not BR at all, what about internet data? I want to be able to go on the internet on my phone when I'm over there to check maps, google, Instagram etc. I popped in to Vodafone and the lady said data roaming kicks in automatically but I have to make sure I top up (I'm on prepay) as it will that money but she recommended getting a SIM card over there instead as it's cheaper. Has anyone done this?

Please help a clueless girl out... Thanks! :D
Jesse
745 posts
I really recommend you do NOT use data on your phone while roaming. It'll kick in automatically once you land, so anything you have on your phone with push notifications will update automatically eg facebook. It's 50c/MB which is damn expensive so a $20 top up will get you 40MB which is barely anything. I'd recommend switching off your data roaming before you fly then either only using wifi while you're there or buying a prepaid sim, aussie prepaid plans are great value and Vodafone, Telstra and Optus all do $30 prepaid starter packs that will give you an aussie sim and at least 1GB data plus other inclusions. I found internet worth it just for Google maps when shopping haha... where am I and how do I get to Topshop??!! :D
astylecollector
204 posts
The consensus on Twitter is the same too Jesse. I will keep this in mind and turn off my data roaming. I definitely don't want Vodafone to keep charging me. I'm surprised at how cheap the data plans are over there. I wish we have them here. :\

I definitely need Google maps. I need to know where Topshop, Zara and H&M are in the city! Haha
Koni
444 posts
Absolutely agree with Jesse. It's disgusting how expensive roaming charges are and all for a mere piddly piece of data. I bought a $30 prepaid plan with Optus (your new sim will require activation online) and got 1.5GB.

I found that the perfumes are cheaper in the Australian stores. As for makeup, I walked straight passed MAC Duty Free and Benefit - you "save" a couple of dollars but your purse almost feels as light as if you bought it in the NZ store haha. I only bought skincare from Duty Free :-)

Happy shopping Angela!!!
astylecollector
204 posts
Thanks Koni!

I heard Optus is good and they have a $2 a day deal for 500mbs per day which is crazy because that is like a $20 a month on a prepay plan here in Vodafone and they have it for one day.

I'll keep that in mind. I went to the Galleria in town just to see what the price differences are. Some are good but not that great. I'm eyeing a Michael Kors wallet too in Duty Free. I hope it's cheaper there than in store. I'm picky with wallets so I can't buy them online.
alikat
423 posts
I haven't been to Melbourne in AGES. My husband seems to go every other year, but that has dropped off since our Melbourne friend now lives around the corner from us.

Depending on your phone plan, roaming can be really cheap now. Just the other week, my husband roamed to Australia on his Vodafone plan and it cost us NZD$5 a day for each day he was there. Otherwise, get a prepaid sim card over there. I used to keep one for VF Australia, but I've let it lapse now that roaming on VF with our mobile plans is comparable. 
astylecollector
204 posts
I did go to Vodafone but the lady there said it will still be cheaper to buy a sim over there. I've asked Twitter too and they agree as some plans are cheap. One mentioned Optus having a $2 a day deal for 500mbs a day which is a lot and that's how much I get a month for $20!

Thanks Alikat!
astylecollector
204 posts
Additional question as I think I got the roaming/data sorted now.

What beauty brands are much cheaper to buy in Australia? Unfortunately Melbourne doesn't have Sephora but at least there's Mecca Maxima.

Are there specific brands you know of that are cheaper or easier to get over there than NZ?

For example, Essence cosmetics? NYX? I love drugstore makeup as I only ever splurge on high end if I REALLY want the product...
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
When I went I went to aussie I got a boost Sim card for $2 & topped up $30 to get 2gb data plus 100min call time & txt aussie only numbers. You can get these cards from Dick Smith you can get most aussie Sim cards there.
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Best bet is to troll their website and compare. Our dollar is fairly comparable atm. But yeah I'd troll their site as well as priceline I know a new catalogue is out soon for priceline you could be in a goody bag whilst over there. Drugstore products are fairly cheaper then here. Ive had a whizz around on their site and thejr prices are affordable for makeup that is nars too faced & urban decay are at least $20 cheaper.And they have nepolean unlike NZ well it's ceased to being stocked & sold here.
Jesse
745 posts
I normally head to Target for NYX because I like being able to buy it in person, and Priceline for things like Australis which I love and perfume giftsets, I picked up Juicy Couture Viva La Juicy 50ml edp gift set for $30 on special.
astylecollector
204 posts
k3r1pakaiI really need to do some research. I haven't had much time on my laptop this week as it's been hectic but I shall have a look. I've mainly searched where things are in the CBD like ZARA, H&M and the DFOs but not much on the beauty side of things.

I heard Priceline is good with GWP as well. I'm excited to look at Too Faced products. Their packaging is amazing so hopefully they're not that expensive but I'm not really wanting anything specific.

Thanks Jesse! I'm glad to know Target has NYX! We're not staying in the CBD but where we are is 5mins away from a big mall which has Target and David Jones so I'm excited to have a look at what they have there.

I've never bought anything from Australis but I've seen their new primers in Instagram and they look good. I might pick a few up this time since I'm sure they're cheaper over there. That perfume deal is great!
Macs
5351 posts
When I went over , my phone bill was huge. I was lucky to have wifi at the resort I was staying at. Some good suggestions here. 
astylecollector
204 posts
I'm on Vodafone prepay so they can't bill me afterwards and I only have $10 left in my account. I think I'll take the other option of buying a sim card.

Thanks for everyone who told me about it! Now I can focus on the shopping! Still undecided if I should get stuff from Duty Free or just wait til I go to the shops. I also can't wait to see what brands I can get in Duty Free too.

I won a $50 Duty Free voucher from a blog today and I was so happy when I saw the email. It couldn't have come at a better time. :) I wonder if NZ brands like Karen Walker is available in DF? I kind want another pair of Karen Walker sunglasses and if it's cheaper there, I will buy one.
Lutece
1849 posts
I hope you have a blast darlin!!! And take lots of photos, I havent been to Melbourne but I imagine the shopping there is awesome!
astylecollector
204 posts
Thank you Letuce! I hope so too! Everyone is telling how great Melbourne is so I'm really excited! :)

trudijoy
8375 posts
Cbd Melbs has heaps of Telstra wifi hotspots plus there is free wifi in a few other places and your hotel will probably have some kind of access.

Shops... everywhere! I bought mostly at Myer (check out the sale basement), David Jones, Priceline, the other cheap pharmacy (called My Pharmacy I think) and Victoria's Secret for beauty. The Body Shop is heaps cheaper in Aussie too. At Duty Free I got a Benefit trial size multi pack for about $30. They're $50 at Akl airport.

I only shopped central but of I had more time I would have gone out to DFO too
astylecollector
204 posts
Thanks Trudi!

Ooh I'll definitely check out Myer then! A sale basement sounds great to me.

There's the Southbank DFO that I'm keen to check out or outside the CBD, the Chadstone Shopping Centre is apparently great and only a 10min drive from our hotel
trudijoy
8375 posts
Oh and Target is really cheap for stuff like NYX, chi Chi, Essence etc

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!