Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Mega dry skin!

9 posts, 9 members
RachLouise
218 posts
Help! I have a major issue right now with dry skin on my face/scalp. I spent 3 weeks in hospital and since I stayed there my skin has been itching and peeling so bad. I think it may had been the air conditioning. I have tried many masques and cleansers and they make it worse. The wierd thing is moitsurisers, even sensitive skin ones make my skin burn so bad. Can anyone reccomend a product that is going to help my skin?
MareeB
5241 posts
Um, egg white face mask every day would help you Rachlouise, and I'd follow that with a plain oil for a while - coconut/almond/apricot/olive...
Macs
5351 posts
After I had my first baby I was the same. You could Body oils like Thursday Plantation Rosehip, Macadamia or an Argain Body oil. For skin you could try try balms I believe Donna Marie Perfumes has a range you could try. Always check if its safe for you and bubba first. 
MissQT
1547 posts
I ince had super duper dry skin and found that the aveeno face moisturiser was good. Clinique is also good and they have one that is very hydrating. I'd recommend using a serum underneath your moisturiser. Coconut oil can be good for your scalp as its good for dandruff.
idomakeupnz
150 posts
Hey chick, the reason your skin will be burning when products are applied is because your moisture barrier is damaged. I highly recommend using a pH balanced cleanser (the Neutrogena Deep Clean Cream Cleanser is a nice gentle one), using a aloe vera toner or lightweight gel will help soothe and add a boost of hydration and then follow up with either rose hip oil or jojoba oil - these are very kind to skin and have amazing repairing qualities. Seal this all in with an occlusive - something that a lot of people with dry skin love is Vaseline, it's great for night time use and contrary to belief does not irritate or clog the skin. You could use a night cream but I would avoid adding too many ingredients to your sensitive skin for a few weeks (up to a month).

Avoid exfoliating for about a month, if not longer. You need the skin to heal and the moisture barrier to repair, scrubbing will back track all your work.
Stay away from all masks for at least 2-3 weeks, once your skin is less sensitive you can add in hydrating masks, preferably gel ones and absolutely no drying clays or anything with charcoal.
After about a month or so you can look at adding more products back into your routine such as serums and moisturisers, stick to hydrating, non-irritating ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, green tea, aloe, chamomile, rose hip, jojoba.
Also, avoid any products with ethanol too high up on the ingredient list, drink lots and lots of water and if your skin feels tight or dry during the day you can add some aloe toner or gel.

As for your scalp, avoid all clarifying shampoos and anti-dandruff shampoos for a couple of weeks. Use a shampoo that is sulfate free and one that preferably has oils in it. If you can, slather coconut oil on your scalp over night or just for as long as possible. You could also use olive oil if you wanted. Use a very hydrating conditioner with lots of oils and as little silicones as possible. Massage your scalp and use leave in treatments that have argan oil in them.

Hope this helps xx
tannygirl
3392 posts
I second using just a plain oil on your skin and maybe putting warm coconut oil in your hair in the morning if you can and then washing it out at night or leaving it in for a few hours. And then try to go a few days without washing your hair if you can. I would recommend using a plain oil to oil cleanse your skin as well, instead of cream cleansers and if you need to wash your face in the morning just use tepid water. Last but not least if you can consider taking an Omega 3 supplement and drinking lots of water, that can help from the inside out. I hope this helps. 
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
Aloe Vera is my go to for skin restoring. Good luck.
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Another vote for oil and no exfoliation! Hope it gets better soon. Make sure you drink lots of water too and stay hydrated.
siouxsannah
261 posts
Hello,
If your skin is itching and peeling then you may have excema or psoriasis. I would recommend seeing a dermatologist as ordinary moisturisers will not clear it up, or at the very least a pharmacist. I have the same problem and my doctor has given me a steroid cream to apply for when I have outbreaks. 

Pharmacies also carry special lines of super rich, non-irritating formulas specially for inflamed, dry skin.

Also, avoid any product that contains the presevative methylisothiazolinone (or any other presevative ending in thiazolinone) as this is known to cause rashes in about 10% of people and can make any skin conditions worse. It is found in a number of beauty products, especailly body washes and shampoos. 

As a poster above says, no face masks or exfoliants. You want to moisturise, moisturise, moisturise! Whenever your face feels dry you want to rub moisturiser on it. You may find yourself applying cream to your face several times a day, so take some with you when you go out. At night apply a face oil like Dermaoil or Bio-oil, and like the above poster says, lock it in by applying vaseline over the top. 

If you scratch so much that you bleed, tea tree oil and tea tree oil cream can help aswell as tea tree oil is an antiseptic. 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!