Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

15 posts, 10 members
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Hey lovelies xx

Just wondering if anyone on here has had success with making their own massage bars?

I am massively obsessed with peppermint and lavender and would love to make my own massage bar as all the massage bars I've tried (and yes even Lush) are just not quite what I'm looking for.

Any ideas on how to make my own etc?
MissQT
1547 posts
I've never seen any recipes of making your own massage bars so I'm quite intrigued. the best option might be to find a good base recipe then add your own essential oils to cater to your needs.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
No sorry. Would love to hear how it goes for you.
Macs
5351 posts
Never thought to make my own. That's an awesome idea. I'll be looking into that. 
shazatron101
5112 posts
I haven't, but it doesn't look like it'd be too hard! Just some coconut oil and butter, and then your choice of fragrance I guess. I just watched a video of a woman making the LUSH Percup one! I'm not sure how accurate it is to the real deal as I've not smelled that but it looked simple enough :D Good luck!
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
Maybe you could try tweaking a lip balm recipe? Make it a bit harder and add some oils or whatever. There are tons of lipbalm recipies out there and they're basically fool proof (Even I have managed).
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
He he he shaz, I watched a video on how to make a Lush equivalent to the Wiccy Magic Muscles and I am so excited to try it.  Would be great to try it as I go through Massage Bars quite a bit as they help me sleep much better.

Might have a look into a lipbalm type formula and see how that works.  I have a friend that makes her own coffee scrubs (met through BR) and we are going to look into making one.  She's a lot more clued up than I am ha ha ha.
JessB
219 posts
I've found quite a few variations of massage bar recipes on Pinterest if that helps? Most seem to have the same base recipe: Shea butter, coconut butter or almond oil, scent. I'm quite interested in massage bars as well and have found myself to be quite picky, my favourite (yes, even over lush bars *gasp*) is the Kereru orange massage bar. 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Ooooh JessB I really like the sound of that one.  Will have to look into this one.  And yes, I've come across pretty much the same base ingredients for the majority of the bar recipes I've looked at.  I want a really strong peppermint, lavender or orange scent or even together.  The peppermint for me has to be super strong.
JessB
219 posts
You can buy peppermint oil and don't need to use much of it for it to give a really strong peppermint smell. The other option is peppermint essence (usually used for baking) though the flavoured essences are usually alcohol based, so that won't be helpful in terms of your skin, however is much cheaper. I tried making my own peppermint oil before, did ok but you have to make sure to strain it really well haha. 
Beauty88
29 posts
[color=#291b29]where can I buy peppermint oil? [/color]
JessB
219 posts
Simply Organics sells peppermint oil :) 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Most health stores stock essential oils.
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Quite a few places sell essential oils hun.  Personally I buy mine from iHerb but you can get them from lotus oils and there are a couple of other places but can't think of them offhand.  Will see if I can find a link somewhere :-)
Artemis
311 posts
What a neat idea, something I havent tried yet but must do in future. I think the hard bit will be trying to make the right consistency, you dont want it too soft (too much coconut oil will probably make it oily/greasy and melt too quick) or too hard (beeswax will make it quite firm). Might have a dabble in it myself and if I come up with anything, I'll share on here. 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!