Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Making time for Reviews

15 posts, 11 members
MrsRosie
214 posts
Hello lovely BR beauties! After a hectic last 12 months which has found me shift house twice and find a new full time job in a city in which I know no one (other than my husband), and then getting knocked down with a cold over the New Years break I havent had the time for BR and to do reviews like Id hoped. 

I currently have almost 50 to get through and I normally spend give-or-take 30mins writing each review... I really need some helpful hints! So my question is how do you schedule in your review time?  x x
trudijoy
8375 posts
reviews only take me 5-10 mins to write, I guess because i don't write them until i know exactly what i want to say. I find explaining things, and writing things like this very easy though... once you've had to write 400 reports in ten days for school you learn fast to be quick and efficient about it!

Start with a formula and a comment bank (a series of sentences like 'This product was (adjective) for my (face/skin/hair etc). I especially (loved/disliked) the fact that (what it was) because (reason).' Also have some sentence starters in there.

Then you can get yourself into a pattern, and stay focused.
kirstyj
1732 posts
I don't generally make time to do reviews, I just wait for inspiration to strike. Generally I find if I force myself to make time to do it I won't enjoy it so personally I just leave it until I feel like it :)
MrsRosie
214 posts
They are some really helpful tips Trudi-Joy thank you! I guess I overthink reviews too, some reviews depending on the product dont need as much of my time.
MrsRosie
214 posts
Maybe thats why I procrastinate so much Kirstyj lol! I need to stop thinking of them like an 'exam' of sorts and enjoy them! Also I crank up my laptop to do them beacuse I find the site too fiddly on my tablet and smartphone, so that prob doesnt encourage me but thats ok! Hopefully I catch up soon :)
Macs
5351 posts
Normally I'll surf through my reviews to do list and pick one. The most I've done in one week was about 13. That was when we were trying to hit triple digits. I take about ten to fifteen minutes three to four times a week to review. It's become automatic for me to review. Feels effortless.
tannygirl
3392 posts
 I work through them better when I'm more inspired to write reviews. But generally I do them in the evening or weekend and feel more accomplished checking them of my to-review list. I do give verbal recommendations or tell family and friends that I wouldn't buy this or that and why I didn't like it adding that if this or that isn't an issue go ahead, so I guess writing the review comes easier for me because I'm used to giving verbal reviews.
  Personally though if someone doesn't like or does like something they should say why because maybe the reason you don't like said product or love it (maybe the scent or texture) might be the reason why someone else would love or dislike it. So I always make sure to include that in my reviews. 
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
For me I like to give the product a decent go before I write a review. But for me once the kids are in bed or at pre school I manage to sit down and get through a few.

I like to break a product down...
Packaging
Formula
Reaction (if any)
How it works for me
And then I'll add extras if I need too :)
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I wait for inspiration to strike but I also try and do a couple of reviews a week.

Best wishes for your new city adventure.
Julieal
915 posts
I usually finish a product and write the review before I throw the container out so not only have I fully tested the product I have to write the review or my computer desk is full of empty containers.This seems to get a good result as my partner soon complains if I have stuff all around the computor.
Rezee
1964 posts
I try to aim for three a week (although that has been hard this month with being busy with the holidays and I'm slowly running out of products too). I generally like to be inspired by a product which is pretty easy if you like it but not so much if you don't!  Maybe you could try jotting down bits about the product on a notepad when you get a spare couple of minutes during the day and then hopefully it would make review time shorter for you. I think I usually take 5-10 minutes.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
When I buy a new product, I add it to my list of reviews to do in Evernote and then while I'm using it, I start making notes about smell, feel, reactions, etc and then when I'm halfway through the product and have used it for a few weeks, I'll finish doing the review.

I don't set myself a weekly goal, as I'm on a huge "no spend" and have been since June last year (I'm only replacing essentials when they run out).  Some weeks I write 3-4 reviews, some weeks there's nothing, it all depends on whether I've opened something new from my stash. 
MrsRosie
214 posts
Thanks for all the wonderful tips, have taken them all on board and it should help me get out of my review rut for sure - and help speed up the process all while still writing informatve reviews :)  

I too keep most of my empty containers so I can refer back to them as I write the review... I really need to move some along!

Hope everyone is having a super Monday!!
Macs
5351 posts
Happy monday MrsRosie. Not my favourite day of the week. 
MareeB
5239 posts
I like to do 2 per week, but last year most of my product purchases were beauty boxes, so I'm waiting for some products to be added to the directory. And on that subject, I can't wait until the end of the week for the next box to be dispatched - woohoo!!

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!