Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Letting myself go...

27 posts, 21 members
Lutece
1849 posts
Hi ladies!

So this is kind of Beauty related, so November I quit smoking & I have used food to compensate, and I have dreaded the scales and knew I had to face my fears sooner or later, now I am 100% sure I wont be smoking, I have gained 12 Kgs  in 5 MONTHS, I have also resorted back to "comfort eating", not getting too much into detail but has anyone that has quit smoking gained weight afterwards?
And how did you go about it? 

I have previously lost a ton of weight but i was smoking like a train, ekkkkk

Thank you all in advance xxx
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Congratulations Lutece, that's amazing! I've never had to quit smoking, so I'm of no use to you, but I just wanted to acknowledge your awesome achievement!

It seems it's quite a common side effect so hopefully some of the other ladies have some helpful tips for you x

trudijoy
8375 posts
Yay for quitting smoking! I never had THAT battle but a handy little tip from when I lost my 30kg is that I got into things like nail art - wet nails mean that the compulsion to snack is beaten by the desire to keep your nails nice hehe x

There was a good weight loss tips thread around here the other daý - I'll be back on the wagon soon as I would like to drop 5-10 by next summer
Macs
5351 posts
I'll be starting my journey of quiting smoking tommorow. I've lost weight with the smoking. I dropped 30 kgs.I'm kind of dreading quiting. I know I will go back to eating heaps. Thats a really long time to quit Lutece. Hopefully I can follow in your footsteps to quit.
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Yay for quiting smoking. I too have gained weight from quiting my lifestyle habits not smoking but other things and yes eating replaced the crave for the first year it was bliss I actually continued to loose weight but in the last 2 years it's piled on. I've gained 30kgs and am obese for my height. I don't know how my comment can help. I also was doing a lot of comfort eating especially at night while the kids were asleep. This is my me time late at night.
Can I say Lutece where did the weight go cos you don't look overweight at all so I'm guessing you only gained what was needed and have been underweight if I make sense.
Actually a few other friends have had a weight gain over the past 24 months we all contributed it to stress emotionally and financial aswell as unhealthy work habits taking its toll on us.... You can get stuck in a space and not see it in you reflection it's when you can't fit your work clothes or any clothes in fact, is when you realise somethings wrong... well for me it was the shock of no longer fitting clothes I think I was in denial and couldn't see my reflection.
I refuse to buy new clothes to fit. I'm going to beat this fat off me , most of it is fluid.
I need to get more excercise in my life that's was also changed I just quit my regime. And now I say to friends I get so tired from thinking about the excercise that it's already as if I've done a workout. This gets us all laughing cos I reckons it's so funny. I have returned to walking 5 kms a week to and from my counseling appts this has been refreshing and jiggled the circulation so fluid has moved around and I've actually lost a shoe size. Random aye but yes your feet gain and loose weight. Huh I'm laughing as I type this.
MareeB
5239 posts
Oh good luck ladies. I finally quit smoking for good 4 1/2 years ago after millions of trys and very glad to have succeeded. Weight is an entirely different matter. I've yo yoed all my life and am currently heavier than I've ever been after starting the hormone blockers for my thyroid. I really hate it. If I could find that answer I'd be very happy!!! When I gave up smoking I deliberately took up exercising - at that stage is worked really well for me.
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
yes my weight gain was up there:( 
but give it time, you will be heaps healthier being a non smoker.

Cesy
162 posts
It's a fairly common thing to occur after quitting smoking- the oral fixation changes from ciggies to food :/ I think Trudi's advice about keeping hands busy is a good one. My approach to weight loss (I lost 15kg over 1 year) was to up the veggie and protein in my diet and drop the carbs. I found veggies I could nibble on were helpful- carrot sticks, celery etc. For me it dealt with the oral fixation issue (I'm a snacker, so snacking on something that didn't have a high calorie load was the way to deal with my snacking issue). It kept my mouth busy and helped me lose weight.
Ngahew
152 posts
Awesome for quiting the smoking...I get a bit emotional when I hear that people have quit. I have had 5 members of my whanau die from smoking, including my sister who had a lung transplant. We seem to be genetically predisposed to emphysema.

Good on you because its a strong addiction and often so hard to break. When I gave up, I just chewed chewing gum. I didnt have a weight issue until my late 30's so I don't contribute my chubbalubs to quitting smoking...but like Trudijoy says, keep busy.
Ka pai on your journey. xx
Kimrose
1412 posts
Lutece, I to quit smoking 11 years ago and did put on a bit of weight. I lived in a small flat town so it was easy to walk,so the weight didnt stay on for long. I wouldnt beat myself up too soon as it can take a good few months to get over smoking. I didnt feel good until 6 weeks after I had stopped and then another 6 or so weeks to feel like an actual non smoker. I find I cant eat for ages after brushing my teeth. Please dont give up, you are so much better off being a non smoker. Good luck xx
littleparadise
178 posts
Just want to write a post congratulating you Lutece. That's amazing :) 
Koni
444 posts
Virtual hug coming your way Lutece and all the other beauties who have quit smoking - what an awesome commitment x
skingeek
537 posts
Congrats on kicking the cancer sticks, gorgeous! I smoked habitually after a friend of mine passed away, and continued the habit for about a year. Up until then I had been an on and off casual smoker when I would drink with friends. It's tough to give them up, so well done! As for your weight, I oulnt beat yourself up too much, you're gorgeous looking. Just rememember, when you used to smoke (this is how it was for me anyway), you often did so out of boredom. So when you want to snack now, it's because you;d usually have smoked, thus boredom. Do something else. I like the nail polish trick xx
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
Lutece - I'm so proud of you for quitting! It's so damn hard. As for weight loss, have you tried My Fitness Pal? I'm back on that and when I first went on it it helped me lose weight. The cool part is you can still eat what you want - it's a calorie counting app so it's up to what you eat. Btw - and I hope this isn't insuling, I think you look absolutely beautiful and not at all overweight x
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Lutece, virtual, hi five! on the cigs.
I have a challenge for you - take a photo of everything you eat and food diary it on your computer, facebook, whereever. Write down what you are feeling (happy, sad, bored) and where you are (kitchen, cafe). Once the week is complete look at the weeks eating and see it there are any patterns to it eg like when you would normally have a ciggie.
It doesn't help that you stopped a month before xmas with the lead up to xmas parties and xmas itself. That is an over indulgance time in itself.
Once you have quit a lot of things are just habit and you needsomething to do with your hands, my friend's mum went to nail art and paper tulle as something to do.
janini9
341 posts
Congrats on giving up the cigs - it's not easy! I gave up 27 years ago by running everyday as you can't run and smoke as well. I got into doing exercise regularly which helped with the extra food you tend to eat to combat the leftover "what the heck do I do with my hands etc".
Usually smoking is tied to soothing emotions, relaxation or stress relief, so finding an alternative (that's not food) can help. It's very easy to use food as the filler for smoking, but it has it's own consequences. I also used chewing gum to help me not smoke and not stuff food into my mouth as a replacement for the cigs. I went through heaps of gum, but between that and the running it worked, although the running took a long time to be comfortable. Especially since I coughed up an awful lot of black tar - it was quite disturbing and made me even more determined to never smoke again.
I've had friends go back to smoking because they gained weight when they stopped smoking. That's crazy!!!! If you give it time and a bit of effort, you can change the behaviour and if you eat healthily and exercise regularly, your body will revert to its natural body shape and you will still be a non smoker.
SandieNZ
424 posts
Oh wow Lutece, a HUGE congrats to you hun, that is an awesome achievement! xx

I quit smoking 12 1/2 years ago when I got pregnant with my first bubs so the actual quitting bit was easy, but I put on bucketloads of weight and really struggled to keep it off.  Sometimes even now I still miss smoking.  My problem was not having anything to do with my hands and to keep me occupied, smoking was something I did all the time as the answer to everything - stressed, have a smoke; happy, have a smoke; hungry, have a smoke; full, have a smoke.  I started knitting as a way to keep my hands busy which really helped, but I didn't find any one easy answer. 

Try MyFitnessPal, set yourself achievable goals like lose 2kgs in a month.  Maybe put the cost of a pack of ciggies a week away, and then use that money to treat yourself to something nice when you hit your first weight goal.  Good luck hun, you're amazing.

And way to go Macs!  Good luck with quitting xx
chikoboo
3402 posts
Congrats on quitting the evil sticks! and good luck on trying to regain your control, it's hard I know.  You need to find yourself a support group that cheers when you suceed and doesn't judge when you make a small hiccup on the way =)
charly
456 posts
Well done on quitting. Your family will thank you for it when you don't die of lung cancer! 

I have never been a smoker myself, but I definitely have to work to keep my weight down because I gravitate to snacking - especially now, three months after giving birth. Time to start getting hard on myself and that packet of chips, I reckon! 

Anyway, what I do is to try to put money into buying really healthy food. If I've just made an expensive but healthy food choice I don't like to ruin it by eating unhealthy stuff straight after. Also when I want something but it's not really hunger I try to have a low calorie or zero calorie drink - usually a cup of tea in my case. 
Macs
5351 posts
Thank you everyone for your kind wishes. Day one today. I've had one chewing gum so far. 
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Awesome work Lutece! And Macs, take it one day at a time. Your insides will be thanking you already x
janini9
341 posts
Hey Macs, do you know about Quitline (quit.org.nz), you get subsidised patches, gum and lots of help and support when you register.
Macs
5351 posts
Hey janini9 I think I've maxed out my quit line usage as I've used them in the past. I felt extremely tired today.
Mila
1209 posts
Congrats on quitting smoking !! its no easy feat :) - way back when I used to be a smoker and decided to quite (took me 2 go's) I had to change loads of habits with it like I had to give up caffeine for that time because they went hand in hand or any drinking so I did become a bit of a hermit but for the period that was needed I definately think it was worth it.

I actually took up walking I started walking and walking and walking everywhere and anywhere..at first it didnt do much but soon I found I was enjoying the walking and feeling healthier without the smoking and other bad habits i'd dropped.  I also chewed gum like a mad woman the mintier the better.

I think you just have to find something that works for you try and find a subsitute thats not as bad :)
Lutece
1849 posts
Thank you everyone for your sweet words and your loving support!
Im so overwhelmed with all your helpful tips and wise words, I have written them down in my new weightloss book and I will be applying these to my routine, thank you soooooo much ladies I really appreciate it xxx
trudijoy
8375 posts
one last thing Lutece - and it took me forever to learn this one - the number on a piece of machinery (or a piece of fabric) has very little to do with how beautiful, sexy, loved, successful and worthwhile you are xx You're doing it for you, because you want to, and that's the main thing!
Lutece
1849 posts
Oh stop Trudi, your making my eyes leak! <3 Thank you so much sweetie for your sweet words <3 xxx

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!