Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Left hand nail painting

11 posts, 9 members
Macs
5351 posts
I've been participating in the nail challenge. Every time I try to paint with my left hand I make mistakes. Anyone else have this problem? Any tips? TIA
Toni-Lee
503 posts
Sorry Macs I have no tips other than do it slowly and have a baby wipe ready haha.
Qweenkaren
313 posts
Brilliant! It is a nightmare, but the only thing that has worked for me is patience and practice.
I guess a small tip is to have a resting place - lean your elbow on something solid, just to stop the movement of at least one of your hands.
Qweenkaren
313 posts
hahaha - if you look at the photos most of them are of people's left hand :) from that, I would say you are not alone.
trudijoy
8375 posts
with the block or base colour i try and hold the brush steady and move my nail against it if my left hand is being gumby
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Painting nails with your non-dominant hand takes practice (lots of it! I still battle). 

My tips would be:

- load the brush properly, don't have too much polish on it
- go slowly
- start halfway up, in the middle of the nail, place the brush down and push the polish towards the cuticle before stroking out towards the tip. Do the same on either side. This will stop you from "flooding" the cuticle with too much polish (see pic on PhotoWall)
- hold your breath if you need to (it helps steady a shaky hand) 
- if you make a mistake or things get messy (and you're using traditional polish), leave it and clean up afterwards with a cotton bud or small brush dipped in a little nail polish remover

Macs
5351 posts
Thank you all for the tips. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
I don't have any tips except I paint my nails on my dominant hand first because I'm less clumsy with that hand and so I don't mess up the paint job. Because it is easier to paint the nails on my less dominant hand while I've got wet polish on my dominant hand than the other way around. Also resting my arms on a surface makes it easier.
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I managed to only do 3 out of my collection as my nails broke and the skin around my nails went terrible and not very photo worthy lol. 99% of the time I leave my left hand hahahaha. I look tragic buy j don't have a very steady hand and doing my left side is a mission!
MissQT
1547 posts
I use the technique in the photo that silvene posted too. Check out this video too, which is helpful, here 
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Patience and thin coats and not painting right to the nail bed edge. Good luck!

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!