Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Just for fun: one thing I will never try and one thing I just can't use in make-up

40 posts, 33 members
Susilia
484 posts
The thing in make-up I will (propably, although never say never) never try are fake eyelashes! I just can't think of going near my eyes with some kind of glue.

And what I just can't use are concealers: I have some amazing ones like erase paste from benefit, several from nyx, green, yellow, skin-tone, but I just think they're a waste of time and don't make any difference, I just apply foundation or bb cream and that's it. And yes I have pimples and some fine lines, so I should use them, but I just can't get myself into the routine...

What are your "I will never..." and "I just can't use..."??? I hope I'm not the only one!!??
MicheleC
419 posts
I would never wear out there lipstick like green, blue, yellow or probably black.

What I don't do are masques. I have some but still not used it. The other thing is I just haven't found a full coverage foundation that doesn't look fake or caked on.
Jeseta
34 posts
I never consider anything glittery, I know other people can make it work but I would just look ridiculous in anything sparkly!

As for something I can't use... Well i'm certainly not the only one but I have a fold of skin over my inner eye corner (different from the eyelid fold some people have) Most people don't notice it unless you mention it (In fact I didn't notice it myself until I studied make-up) but what it means is I can't use any make-up on my inner eye such as eyeshadow or shimmer/highlighter etc. If I try it just looks like I have put the product on my nose! The funny thing is that because it's natural for me and I was born with it, I know I would look really weird without it! If I pinch the skin over my nose to see what it would look like without, it makes my eyes look too close together. I believe Amanda Bynes had the same feature and had them surgically removed (I personally think she looked better before the surgery) so I'll just deal with it and reassure myself I'm saving a little bit of eyeshadow each time I do my make-up!
1139 posts
I'm the same with false lashes. It's not that I don't want to try them... for some reason I just never have. 
Kia
550 posts
Yep can't go near unnatural lipstick colours - rules out most of Lime crime which is a shame cause the packaging is hella cute!!
And I can't put fake lashes on! It's so frustrating!!
PaigeC
194 posts
Oh what a cool topic!

Okay, one thing I will never try: Like others have said, never say never but...face cream that has placenta in it. I cannot get my head around it. I know that placenta is meant to be packed full of nutrients but ew, I just can't. The face creams I've seen don't use human placenta obviously but even the thought of sheep placenta in a face cream gives me the heebys! Sorry, I know that this isn't technically make up :)

One thing I just can't use: Coloured eyeshadows- I can sometimes get away with doing purples but anything else and I look like I stepped out of an 80's photo shoot. Its horrendous! I am so jealous of people who can make coloured eyeshadows look great and pretty much natural with a slight edge but I am just not one of those people.
Qweenkaren
313 posts
I hope I don't get thrown out of BR For stating this, but one thing I doubt I will ever use is an eyelash curler.
I know it's on the top list of must haves, but I just can't get my head around a clampy bit of machinery that close to my eye & I'm happy with the effects mascara alone has.

The one makeup item I just can't make work is lip liner. I totally understand the concept, but I find my lippy looks better on me without it.
poohbearfan
45 posts
Not makeup but the one thing I'd never try is a brazilian. Just the thought of all that pain down there is horrifying. Even though I would like the end result I just can't bring myself to do it.

And for the thing I can't use it would be eyeliner on the tip lid. I can apply it fine on the bottom but have never been able to do the top and make it look normal.
chikoboo
3402 posts
I actually have 2 things I won't do for makeup (yes I would do anything, but I won't do that!!) and that is eyelash curlers, they scare the living daylights out of me, but I'm blessed with thick with a natural curve lashes so luckily I don't need to try them.  And eyeline flicks, I have tried gawd love I have, but the hooded nature of my eyelids sees them just end up a mess, no matter how I try, so I stick to drawing lines around my almond shaped eyes to emphasis their shape instead =)
forkat2008
98 posts
I'm with you on the fake lashes, I think. Unless maybe I got them applied by a professional. They do look really good.
I just can't use foundation. I haven't used it in ages so now whenever I try to apply it, it feels incredibly thick and heavy and so wrong. I am trying to ease in with BB creams.
1139 posts
I have two eyelash curlers - one normal one and one heated one. I can't remember the last time I used either because they don't make much of a difference on my lashes. They must be curled enough naturally!
Iloveperfumes
132 posts
Pink lipstick/liners and nail polish - I just can't stand them I think they look horrible on me.

Winged liner - doesn't suit my face shape whatsoever

Eyelash curlers - I am convinced they are terrible for your eyelashes, I don't need them anyway but I don't see how they can be good long term.

kayxcake
422 posts
Love this topic! 

But this is a hard one... I have tried heated eyelash curler, I will never try again thou.

and, I love that Lime Crime Velvetine in Salem, but I can't bring myself to wearing it out! 
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
No! Eyelash curlers are good for you! It makes a world of difference and I'd have puny eyes if I didn't curl my lashes! Try it it can be daunting at first but you get the hang of it real fast. 
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
I'll probably never try colored contacts. It seems quite popula in Asia but putting something on my eyeball sounds horrifying. And I just can't contour. I end up looking really weird with stripes of brown down my cheeks. 
kayxcake
422 posts
haha I wish I could do the whole color contacts thing ^ but im allergic to contact lenses :( Oh well, there's always photoshop and photo editing apps lol :p
melly650
375 posts
I will never wear coloured contacts, I do wear perscription though and it's a struggle mostly, but hey, it beats glasses anyday!

I can't apply false lashes! I am sooo terrible at it, I can't even get it to stick, no matter what I do lol.... But practise makes perfect, right?
g1ggles2
358 posts
I just can't use highlighter in make-up

I dont know if it's just me being heavy handed or not a good blender, but I end up looking like a shinny hot mess, so I just stay away hahah

The one thing I wont try is the cream contouring. I watch the videos and am amazed & how great it can look, but I just know that I will look like an overdone monkey so I know enough not to try - in fact in just normal poweder contouring I struggle with...
Mila
1209 posts
What a neat idea for a thread :)/

I will never use fake eyelashes.  I have had them professionally done once but the thought of trying to do it myself scares me a bit.

I cant for the life of me do winged eyeliner im sure i've seen every tutorial ever made it just doesnt look right on me &

White eyeliner in the waterliner ! I use a highlighter in the corner of my eyes but for the life of me whenever I try and put white line on the water line I look ridiculous.
kirstysays
762 posts
I will never try out there lip colours like blue, green etc...I can hardly pull off an ordinary bold lip let alone something really out there.  And I too just can't get the winged eyeliner down pat...although I have only atempted twice because I hate the thought of ruining the eyeshadow I have just put on!
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
Gosh I hate to admit it but if it's there I'll try it, eek you don't know till you have tried then I can say I've tried:)
Macs
5351 posts
One thing I will never try is tanning or spray tanning.  Specially on the face area. I think people that over do it look like orange ompaa loompas from Charlie and the chocolate factory. Id rather sun bathe then do tanning. Im scared of looking like them. Yes I know it sounds silly lol..
MareeB
5239 posts
Eyelash curlers for sure  - I'd probably take my eye out! and fake tan a close second - one can only imagine what a disaster that would be :)

MareeB
5239 posts
Oh Charmmy_Kitty - totally with you there - the thought of coloured contacts makes me totally squirm! I've watched them use them heaps of times on face-off, and they can look AMAZING, but geez..I can't bring myself to stick stuff into my eyes...
tabykitten
186 posts
I will never try some of the (cool but) out-there lip shades like green or blue.  One thing I just can't use even tho I would LOVE to is out-there hair coloring. I just don't think it would suit me, as much as I love seeing pink or purple or mermaid hair on other people. 
spooks26
108 posts
I have to say id try pretty much anything except eyelash curlers.They haunt me .im not sure why but they do.and I will never get a brazilian either.ive waxed my under arms and that was so painful so im going to think the same for down there .no thanks no way lol
zebacorey
4 posts
I wont use cream blush/bronzer. Im too scared itll end up cakey and ew lol

But i cant use fake eyelashes even though i desperately want to be able to. I think its because of my vision bit perhaps its because i havent actually tried all that much
cushlaH5
178 posts
i will never say never. because some things i thought i would never do i ended up loving like black lipstick and bright eyeshadow. its fun to experiment with things you thought you wouldnt dare to
beksnz
33 posts
I think I would try anything! I'm not quite sure why but I really can't get into using hand creams. Maybe I just haven't found the right one but I'm always using my hands so don't have time to have them all wet. Haha. Ridiculous excuse, I know. And I'm just not quite sure what they're supposed to achieve. 
ChristieMJ
358 posts
I'm the same as you Susila! For some reason I just can't make concealers work for me, they don't cover what I want them too and just seem to make the area cake up so I don't wear them on a daily basis

One thing I will never do is try contacts (even thinking about touching my eyes makes me squirm!) and also agree with the person who mentioned placenta creams - yuck!

I have three things I currently struggle with but would love to perfect;

Fake tan - mine always comes out slightly streaky
Wingled liner - my eyes are very creased/hooded right where the wing is supposed to go therefore a straight line is impossible :(
Falsies! Love the effect they give but for the life of me I can't get them on perfectly even and close to the lash line
Kaitlyn343
268 posts
Awesome thread! ..
I will NEVER use fake eye lashes, gluing something that close to my eyes seriously freaks me the sh*t out haha. I love how they look on other people though. And one thing I just can't use is dry shampoo . I know! I know! I'm crazy but I feel so gross and dirty if I don't wash my hair with water and shampoo. :)

Loving reading everyone elses comments hehe :)
Manda129
419 posts
What a great thread and some interesting answers :) Yup I will never use false lashes, I tried them once and hate them  And I just can't use cream eyeshadow, really hate the way in creases and have tried so many different ways of applying it and same things happens :)
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I love nails, and all the trends that go with them... however Okay one thing i will never try is the 3D nail art, some of it looks amazing, but  just dont have the pateience for it, plus i think it would make using your fingers for anything a hassle!! 
Genna
49 posts
Im not sure if there is anything i blatantly just wont try, i am always open to new products. I have to agree on the 3D nail art, i LOOOOVVE doing my nails or getting them done but i just dont think i could cope with them feeling heavy and catching on things. 
I love wearing false lashes it does take a while to get the hang of it but Shaaanxo has a great tutorial for applying them and the xobeautyshop lashes are really good, the band is nice and thin which makes them easier to apply and they dont feel heavy at all. 
Im not sure i would ever try eyebrow threading, i just dont get how it works and would be far to worried about half of my eyelash coming away!!
SandyGedge
394 posts
Great thread hun :-)

Ive never used false eyelashes but I do have some so never say never hehe

Im still fairly new to make up so am not sure yet
Jesse
745 posts
Such a fun post!

Took me awhile to think one up because I'm normally a give it a go sorta girl, but I'll never try stilletto nails! I hate hate hate the look of them. With my job I'd never be allowed them anyway as I'm now doomed to a lifetime (or as long as my career is!) of short, natural nails haha.

One think I just can't seem to use is liquid/gel eyeliner! I've only tried an Australis liquid liner and I'm hopeless at it, and I had a Maybelline gel liner in a pot but again just terrible at it. I'd love to be able to perfect a nice smooth lined lid with a wing, I love the look of winged liner. I'll just have to practise I guess and try some more products!
PaigeC
194 posts
Eyebrow threading makes me nauseaus! BUT it gives such a good finish, much more accurate than waxing I reckon but yea can't get over ill feeling I get. I do know people who love it though and don't find it painful whatsoever- envious of those people
Susilia
484 posts
I would give placenta stuff a go... :D  Why have you guys mentioned contact lenses? Not really beauty related? Well, the colored ones, I guess, I need contact lenses as I wouldn't be able to see much without them and glasses just don't suit my face sadly...:(  
Jodielolevans
40 posts
I would never use lipstick colours like green or blue (anything unnatural)
And I just can't use red lipstick. It just makes the rest of me look washed out!
MicheleC
419 posts
Oooh Kia !  You should try Lime Crime. The reds and pink are great. The Retrofuturist and Centrifuchsia are great.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!