Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

it's getting colder - so what are you turning to for face and body?

30 posts, 24 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
it's that time of year again...sunblock is still important but skin is covered up more, you're a bit paler so rock different colours...etc etc.

What are winter essentials for you?

I like a decent, quick absorbing moisturiser so i can moisture up my legs and cover them up fast! I also find my hands get drier in cold weather, but my hair gets easier to manage, and lip colours veer off the neon pinks into purplier ones
Julieal
915 posts
I find I need a really good face cream as my skin gets really dry in the cold and wind.I also love a big hot bath in winter so lovely bath oils to pamper makes winter almost worth it.
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I find it really hard to moisturise in the winter because its just so darn cold ha ha ha.

I do need to moisturise more so I try to find products that are moisturising in the shower, and then when I get out of the shower, I spray either the Vaseline moisturiser (the yellow original one) or the Nutrimetics satin spray. That way I can moisturise in the fastest way possible without getting too cold lol. I'm such a baby he he he.

In regards to the face, I usually have to apply an oil and a moisturiser, but since using the A'kin Rosehip Oil with Vitamin C I haven't needed to yet, so will definitely be interested to put the product to the test during winter time.
shazatron101
5112 posts
well i try to moisturize year round, so i'm keeping up with that. I'm using a VS one that the man chose for bday/xmas and it's lovely, quite thick and it smells so nice, like sweet florals. Then I have a Palmolive one, it's a rose scented smell and its AWESOME paired with LUSH Rose Jam. Mmmm heart eyes.

For face nothing really has changed, though I have been using the Skinfood Rosehip oil over my chia seed one every so often :-D

I also added a hat to my "look", and I'm thinking I might wash my scarf and use that too :P
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
I think for me it's the same as you Trudi.  I tend to use slighty faster absorbing moisturisers so that I don't have to be cold for too long.  My lipsticks don't change with seasons I just wear what I feel like at the time which is usually something bold like blue or brown.  I have started letting my natural ringlets go wild lately.  I usually straighten it but I have decided that in the cold I don't care cause it's warmer when wild....go figure. 

It is also the time when I change my foundation brand and colour.  I find a slightly more dewy one makes me glow in the summer as opposed to oil slick.  My skin also pales so I have to go down a shade or two to match it.  I do find that I wear a lot more cool tones in the colder weather though.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Hmmmm I don't tend to change much. I know my face gets drier so I just try keep on top of it. Also lip balm stashed everywhere cause they get mega chapped in winter. I am super pale all year round so don't need to change any bb cream shades. I love winter!
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I try to stick to my usual oil and moisturizer routine in the morning and at night, if I find my skin is a little drier through out the day I moisturize again.

I find through the winter months and oddly now with my lip being pierced I am using chap stick and lip balm allott more regulary.

My legs and arms I usually use body Butter once I hop out of the shower. Through the winter months though I find I'm to cold to bother doing so cause I just want to get dressed and yip my legs look scaly from time to time.
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Oils! For face and body. For body I actually have tried just solely using body butter in an attempt to project pan but I found that if I don't use an oil at least a few times a week my skin on my body gets itchy from lack of moisture since most of my body butters sit on top and have more of a fast absorbing dry feel. I turn towards my more heavier, greasier body oils and butters, that would make me feel hot in the summer. It's a good time to use them up and they hit the spot. 

For face I have to use facial oils, the thicker more moisturizing ones. It's a good time to use those up, I was using my Oasis Straight Up (it's one of the best facial oils for oily skin, it's probably the fastest absorbing oil I have come across). Unfortunately I needed more hydration so I swapped it out for rosehip oil. I'm probably going to pull out my thicker moisturizers as well since it's a good time to use those. 
Macs
5351 posts
I'm so lazy in winter. I don't care about shaving my legs or moisturising them. I've found a new love for in shower body moisturisers (Lush Ros Argan or Christingle) helps remind me to do it and I use it as a shaving cream so I get a double duty use. 

When I do care normally body and face oil in one. This helps me for when I'm super lazy lol 
I haven't done a face mask for a while too. 
MareeB
5241 posts
I get lazy too. It's too cold to be in the bathroom or bedroom for a second longer than necessary so nothing good happens until September.
Kimrose
1416 posts
I have been adding rosehip oil to my night cream lately and I really like it, I think it might be a thing for me now.

I am still dead keen on Ro's argan bidy moisturizer in the shower, that seems to last me all day as far as moisturizer goes.
trudijoy
8375 posts
great answers, loving them :)

Shana i'm doing the natural hair thing lately too (super jealous re the ringlets though!) It's 3 weeks since i got back from the land of not caring about my hair and makeup (aka Samoa) and I'm still in the 'let hair do it's thing, and who needs more than simple makeup' phase. Can't tell if it's a new level of okay-with-my-lack-of-beauty or a new level of lazy lol
MareeB
5241 posts
That sounds so good Trudi. My level of 'don't care' is more of a dark nature!!! Dreaming of Samoa....
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Ooooh that Palmolive one sounds divine hun, might have to hunt it down.

Yep I use lipbalm more in the winter too.  I'm using one from iHerb at the moment, the brand is Out of Afric and they are so creamy and moisturising and pretty cheap. My favourite is the Orange Dreamiscle and I just bought a new one called Pomegranate and Acai.  I've bought a few now but my kids (including my middle boy who gets really dry lips lol) have swiped most of them. 
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Bath bombs, sheet masks (have had 1 every night this week currently in the bath with two bath bombs and a sheet mask on, I did some house chores and what better way to reward thyself then a bath dw kids at SCHOOL I can sleep the day away until 3pm), warmer nudes and lighter nudesign since my skin tone changes a few shades(lippy of course), also full coverage and natural foundation confusing? Nope not for me it means I can cake face without fear of ssweaty stripes & change in skincare. I've bought me a huge vaseline intensive care with a pump and I'll be lathering it on for some weeks. My skin tends to get drier and as Trudy stated NY hair also becomes more manageable. I was only saying the other day that it's taken me all of 40years to finally recognise the signs of my body. Or listen to thy body. TGIF beauties. Ps like the BR vault review on YOUTUBE
Julieal
915 posts
Some nice thoughst here -Maybe winter can be fun and we don't have to hibernate. I am naughty as I don;t have a cold bathroom as I  turn on the heated lamp for about 15 mins before spending time in there .
Nicolef
11 posts
I use heavier lotions in winter, but i always moisturise otherwise my skin gets itchy. I'm a big fan of mixing olive oil with my lotion or cream for a nice extra moisture hit. Also i use hand creams more often and wear gloves. I really like moisturising my feet and then putting a pair of bed socks on....so cosy.
Nicolef
11 posts
I use heavier lotions in winter, but i always moisturise otherwise my skin gets itchy. I'm a big fan of mixing olive oil with my lotion or cream for a nice extra moisture hit. Also i use hand creams more often and wear gloves. I really like moisturising my feet and then putting a pair of bed socks on....so cosy.
Nicolef
11 posts
RachLouise
218 posts
In these cooler months I tend to reach for a super nourishing and hydrating face moisturiser and I switch to a in shower body moisturiser for my body. I religiously use lip balm in the winter. I have one by Living Nature which has never failed me and I love to wear darker lip colors. My go to liquid lip stick is Copenhagen by NYX which is a part of their Soft Matte Lip Cream range.
Priestess
18 posts
The trend for autumn and winter always seems to encourage darker tones on the skin to make the skin look more alive, but honestly through the winter I use the more is less method and stick to using lighter shades in a creamy texture such as cream blushes, foundations, eyeshadows as it adds the moisture to the skin as you wear it, whereas powders always appear to end up more ashen on my skin.  I don't change anything skincare wise as I have built up a great all year round regime that doesn't need beefing up in the colder months as my skin has been well looked after all the time.  SPF is the number 1 thing be it winter or summer as the NZ sun is a fierce ball of damage for our skins no matter season.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Definitely a good moisturiser to prevent my skin drying out. As the wind and rain picks up, I also stock up on hair ties so my hair is more contained.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I don't change much in winter, although I tend to wax my legs instead of epilating.  I find it too chilly to sit and use an epliator in winter, and it hurts when I've got goosebumps.  Waxing is a bit faster. 

Other than that, all my make-up products, cosmetics, body butters, etc. all stay the same.

Oh, I do like to change my perfume from a lighter, more floral one to a heavier, more woody one.
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
Those shower moisturising bodywashes are a saviour for me! It saves some time and I don't have to stand naked, freezing, tring to rub in the lotion as fast as I can lol.
kirstyj
1732 posts
I love cosy winter! More baths for me, although I hate getting out of it. Still using up a Aromatherapy Associates Relax oil which is nice, and leaves my skin feeling great but not oily. In particular I up the exfoliating in Winter as my dry skin needs a bit more attention. As I've mentioned I'm loving the Dermalogica daily exfoliant. It is a find powder that you make into a paste and is somehow gentle and effective. Finding an exfoliant that my dry sensitive skin likes is a miracle!

Does anyone have any cheap body exfoliants they like? (That aren't coffee based). I hate spending money on body exfoliants that get used up so quickly.
tabucutie
1811 posts
I'm all about those too hot showers (that I know I shouldn't be having). I like to follow it up with moisturiser as skin dries out so much with heaters and air con but I don't like the cold so that is a struggle.

Not much other changes in my routine, other than the fact I tend to wear less make up (mostly because i'm focusing on the cold) and tend were bold lip colours.
Jesse
745 posts
This autumn I've added into my beauty practice ...
-Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturising lotion at night, with occasionally using a facial oil with. 
- Clinique Moisture Surge Overnight Mask instead of the usual charcoal/clay mask
- Body Shop body butters instead of the usual moisturising lotions, I'm noticing my legs in particular are wayyyy more dry
- More use of the paw paw! Lips are so dry :(
- I've been using Clinique's BIY drops with either moisturiser or BB cream instead of foundation lately for lighter coverage. I find I can't really wear BB in summer as it just doesn't last the distance so it's a nice change
- Hand cream! My old fave Body Shop Hemp hand cream is getting a thrashing.

And I agree about the baths :)
My skin is a lot more work over winter. Products that were ok in summer dry my skin out and sensitize it in winter, so I end up with dry sore patches, so then I use more facial oil and get zits! Can't win! I'm now trying to stay loyal to cleansing oil and balms and seeing if they settle my face so I can stop freaking out if anyone sees me without BB cream! 

I also get a lot more pale but I think rather than trying to find a new BB cream I'll just do a bit of fake tanning my face over winter. Love Winter Skin fake tan!
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Thicker moisturizers come out at this time of year for me. Rather than be super cold putting on lotions or body butter in the morning or evening I prefer afternoon when it is still warmer.
I don't really change my routine although I need to love my hands and lips a bit more than normal!

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!