Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

If you could go back in time what beauty (or life) lessons would you give your teenaged self?

30 posts, 26 members
kknz
82 posts
I've got a 13 year old daughter which got me thinking what beauty or life lessons that you know now would have helped you greatly had you known it earlier?

For me it would definitely be to have my eyebrows professionally shaped initally and learn what works for my face shape, rather than having my friends pluck my brows on a drunken night out, oh the horror of that night, lol.

Also if someone told/showed me what damage the sun does to skin I never would have sat out in the sun day after day coated in baby oil! 

So travelling back in time, what would you advise your teenaged self?
-Bex-
611 posts
Yeah definitely wear sun block not just because it ages you faster but because skin cancer sux. I know 3 people that have got it and it's freakin nasty. 
Drink lots of water and don't smoke!
sunelizabeth
410 posts
Definitely agree with the sunscreen thing and not smoking! Getting in the habit of drinking plenty of water, avoiding fizzy drinks and eating lots of healthy fats. 
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
eat healthy food: I was underweight for years
dont tan: I used to wear shorts and a tank top all summer and work out side and yes slather on the baby oil 
Don't drink to much or smoke
or burn the candles at both ends
thats the advice I would give. But on that note I have no regrets x
And the best bit is be happy 

Koni
444 posts
Love your skin - look for a skincare regime that works for you and if you have oily skin you still need to moisturise!
Macs
5351 posts
Don't smoke or drink. Just imagine all the Beauty Products you could of got to take better care of my skin, body. Exercise more.
SandieNZ
424 posts
Definitely use sunscreen!  I've started miss 11 (nearly 12) on a skincare routine just to develop those important habits of cleansing and moisturising, and also to drink loads of water.  It's never to early to start healthy habits :)
Ataraxia
82 posts
-Don't avoid the sun so much, sunscreen is your friend and so is a bit of sunshine.

-Wash your face every night and NEVER sleep in your makeup because you're too lazy to take it off before bed.

-When you think something going on in your life is terrible and you're struggling to cope with it don't give in to self harm. You're bipolar and just haven't been diagnosed yet so in a few years you'll learn new healthy ways to deal with stress and feel relieved to know what is going on with you.

-Bad stuff passes and doesn't seem so bad or seems silly later. You'll laugh at the "heartbreak" over crushes and old friends later.

-Form the habit of drinking loads of water and get off your lazy teenage butt! walk places, do yoga with friends and laugh. It will help you out later in life ;)

-Spend more time with family, they're precious 

-Don't stress and worry about what you'll do when you finish school. You have the rest of your life to work it out and you will get there in the end!

-Lay off the hair dye, let your natural colour grow back in because one day you're natural colour will include undesirable greys.
trudijoy
8375 posts
- don't worry, you'll age well haha (is that arrogant to say?)
- wear the colours YOU like, not what your FRIENDS like
- exercise, water, fruit, vegies and sunlight are important
- you're NOT FAT
- smile back at boys when they smile at you - and date the nice ones
ragingfrog
1289 posts
There is so much my teenage self would not understand in general about life it is scary but like all teens you think you know everything.
- buy and use skincare.
- use your make up money wisely, red lip liner and pink lips is not cool for another 15 years
- spend time with family especially your mum. You don't know what you got till it's gone.
- You and your brother don't understand each other now but once you have not been living in the same house for a while you get better at talking to each other.
- buy that house with your mum's help like she offered
- don't buy that apartment/unit.
- Don't stay in a job you hate, life's too short.
- study harder and remember accountancy is not for you.
- gym membership is meant to be used not admired. Get fit as you don't want to be stuck on pills for the rest of your life.
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
Oh yes sunscreen is a must for me.  Not just that but more water and exercise and look after my body because being the overweight friend is never fun :(
MareeB
5241 posts
I'm with Macs - don't smoke or drink, and chase a career and money, independance (and financial security)  is a woman's best friend !!
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Sunscreen sunscreen sunscreen! And more sunscreen.

Be yourself.

You're not fat.

Don't pluck your already sparse eyebrows.

Ahh, if only! :)
MareeB
5241 posts
Oh, and enjoy the beuaty that automatically comes with youth - it doesn't last long and there's no going back once it's gone.
kknz
82 posts
Oh I really agree with that one Mareebros, I spent most of my teen years hanging back since I thought I wasn't the pretty (& skinny) one & no one would want to hang out with the 'ugly' girl. What I wouldn't give to be as 'fat' now as I thought I was back then. Hindsight is 20/20
kirstyj
1732 posts
I really really like reading these! They are good reminders to anyone regardless of how old you are and at what stage of your life you are in.

Mine;
* You will most likely never be as skinny as you are now. So stop calling yourself fat and being concerned about your weight. It doesn't stop you being able to do anything you want to do so why care? (And also if you were really concerned you should stop drinking coke and eating Snickers bars for lunch everyday).
* Remove your makeup and mascara properly. Nobody thinks those smudges under your eyes are just smokey eyeshadow bits.
* Wear sunscreen all the time, even if you don't think you'll be outside. Because occasionally you are outside for longer than expected and get sunburnt.
* Stop wearing that powder that is too light for you all over your face as your only makeup. It makes your face look really flat, you need blush.
* Buy a brown eyeliner, black is fun but really harsh on your pale skin.

BUT;
* Keep not caring what people think about your hair colour and do whatever you want despite the fact everyone is going blonde. One day you will have a professional job and won't be able to change it on a whim.
astylecollector
204 posts
This is a great thread!
I had such low self-esteem growing up and I never imagined I would be in a state of mind where I am now. It also helped we moved here to NZ. My teenage years back in the Philippines was horrible due to 'toxic' school environment full of judgemental people.

Mine would be:
- You're not fat and don't believe what people are saying.
- Invest in good skincare and don't overdo it.
- Don't overpluck your eyebrows. Go to a professional first.
- Get matched for foundation and learn to blend well.
- You acne, bad teeth and body does not completelt define who you are. You will find people that will accept you and won't judge you for this. Cut ties with people who does.
- Drink water!
Marcel
335 posts
I didn't have much guidance in the beauty department as a teenager, it's not something my mum as that interested in back then and I had a heap of blunders. Beauty advice I would tell to a teenage me..

fake tan is not or your face.

Baby oil is not a suitable tanning aide/ wear sunscreen.

when your boyriend decides it would be a good idea to bleach your hair, it's not, don't let him do it!

It's not a good idea to pierce your on ears or cut yoursel a fringe.

Thin Lizzy is not your friend.

Arm hairs are okay, not meant to be shaven.

Over-sized plastic dangly earrings are only or dress-up parties, not causual day-wear.

Don't stress over a couple of little physical imperfections, the models in the magazines aren't actually that perect in reality.

Starving yoursel won't make you happy no matter who skinny you get, No one thinks you look good at 42kg, people are scared or you.

So it would have been helpul to have a bit of guidance back then, I needed it It haaahaha
MareeB
5241 posts
Oh, and I'd tell myself to stay as far away from sugar as I could and to avoid stressful occupations!
Lutece
1849 posts
This is such a FANTASTIC thread!

Mine would be to stop smoking, getting myself out of the habit of emotional eating, learn the importance of moisturising and basic skin care, and to not be so hard on myself <3
george
150 posts
Love this thread! Mine would have to be the following:

- Eyebrows are important - don't over pluck

- Wash your face at night - you'll thank me for it later.

- Drink water

- Do not even think about cutting your own hair

- Also, don't dye it black - it was a hassle to get it back lighter.

AmandaJane
1147 posts
And there I was wondering if I'm too old to die my hair black. I guess that's a probably lol :)

Seriously though, I think I would say everything in moderation, well maybe not *everything* but most things, oh and listen to your mother hehe!
Nicole544
2 posts
To moisturise your face daily and use an eye cream!
Also to use sunscreen and avoid getting sunburnt!
These are thing is avoided as a teen and am wishing i had followed as my skin is beginning to age.
chikoboo
3402 posts
The same as many others have put, to drink more water and not go to bed with makeup on.  I was terrible for doing that when I was younger and it caused my already awful acne to be worse I am sure but hey teenagers are lazy by nature right? lol
Mila
1209 posts
Great thread ! - same as lot of ladies here, drink loads of water, always take your makeup off before bed and your EYEBROWS when your mum sais dont pluck them you should listen they dont grow back the same EVER
Cesy
162 posts
Marcel- "Thin Lizzy is not your friend"- I chuckled at that, I needed that advice at 23!

My big one DON'T PICK YOUR ZITS. Oh how I wish my mother stopped me from picking (says she who at 27 just found herself touching her zits)
Macs
5351 posts
I wish I was told everything the ladies have mentioned. Pretty much was me in a nutshell lol omg yes to the zit zapping.. I wouldnt have so many scars from it.
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
Fantastic thread!! I wish I could tell myself that I'm not stupid, that being 'different' is beautiful in itself and that people will embrace that when I get older. I wish I had a lot more confidence as a young girl but mostly I wish that I had know. That other people's opinions of me really don't matter and don't define me as a person. That those who are worth my time see beneath looks and love me for my spirit. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I would tell my teenage self to not let the doctor keep fobbing me off with antibiotics and harsh lotions for my acne. I wish I hadn't waited until I was in 40s to insist on seeing a dermotologist and finally have clear skin!
tannygirl
3392 posts
Mine would be

- Pick top or bottom/legs to show off. Short shorts and middriff tops aren't necessary unless you're headed to the beach.

- Don't worry if the majority of people don't like you or don't make you feel included in social settings. You do have some friends and they are the ones that matter not the masses.

- Don't try to please everyone to fit in, it's okay to agree to disagree. You don't have to like their style of music. You will find people who love you as you are.

- Friendship is a two way street, if every week you're doing favours for someone and being generous and kind to them and they can't be bothered when you occasionally ask them for help then it's time to reevaluate your friendship with them. You can't make them your friend if they don't want to be, don't worry not everyone will be like that. So find someone else to spoil.

-Invest in skincare before you invest in makeup. Get on a good routine and see if your skin improves before you think you need to pile on more foundation to cover acne.

- Quality not quantity. You don't need so much makeup when you're not going to wear it that much because it breaks you out and smudges.

- So what people laugh at you for wearing spf when you're not on the beach, stay strong girl! Skin damage and skin cancer is nothing to laugh about.

- What looks on the model might not look the best on you, so before you spend your hard saved cash on that bright, orange red lippy, take into account your skintone and the ammount of acne on your cheeks and go for a more flattering red.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!