Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

How young is too young?

64 posts, 46 members
nemesisroxx
506 posts
Hi ladies I have a bit of a dilemma. My daughter has what I'd call "healthy eyebrows" as in, they are very thick and bushy. She also has a slightly noticeable monobrow. She's quite fair so they really stand out. Kids have been teasing her at school about them and I was wondering if I should start to pluck them? Not shape, just pluck? She's only 8 and very shy. What would you do?
Kia
550 posts
Definetly don't pluck them. What ever you do. Plucking eyebrows under the age of 13 can casue them to not grow back at all. She  might just come back and blame you for that when she is older. I'm not sure how you can handle it, but don't pluck them! no no
Bayley
238 posts
I have no children and no eyebrow expertise but if it were me and my child was upset about it I would probably just pluck the monobrow.

If it'll make her happier then I would do it but definitely leave the thick brows I bet they are gorgeous!
tannygirl
3392 posts
  I don't have children either but if it was my daughter and she was getting teased at school, I'd do something about the monobrow. I don't think the monobrow is going to ever be attractive so I wouldn't worry about that hair not growing back but the brows, the brows I'd leave and then teach her to shape it when she turns 12 or 13. This is just my opinion.
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
One of my girlfriends was really hairy, and she was under ten and her grandmother took her to get her arms waxed, this was what she told me and her mono brow. She said a lot of people even her mother were mortified, but she said the difference that it made to her confidence and not being teased was the best thing that ever happened to her and still praises her grandmother to this day. 
Me personally life is hard enough especially if there's teasing involved  anything to make it easier for them. Xx
SandyGedge
394 posts
My 7 year old girl has the same problem hun. For now She just brushes it off when she gets teased but if it was really upsetting her then id definitely do something about it. Yes your daughter is young but bullies can affect/haunt a child for life and no parent wants that for their child.

My 11 year old daughter was going through the same thing except with her armpits. She sneakily shaved them and we found out, we were mad until she confessed about the kids tormenting her daily. I felt horrible that I had no idea this was happening so we sat down with her and said we wouldn't allow the bullying to continue. Tiana is soooo much more happier now and im glad we get her armpits waxed or else we use hair removal cream :-)

You do whatever feels right hun. You're an amazing mumma xxx
ChristieMJ
358 posts
I don't have kids but I think if that were me in my situation I'd sit down and have a chat and see if she was comfortable for you to pluck a few hairs from the middle bit - you could maybe even turn it into a bit of a fun mother-daughter pamper session with a face mask or something too? 

I remember being probably 11 or so and getting teased for having underarm hair, it was awful and I felt disgusting. After telling mum she used to help me use hair removal cream and then later taught me to shave and I had so much more confidence afterwards. 
colleencanary
764 posts
I have Arab genes so I'm very hairy and totally get what you're going through. When I was school the kids would tease me about the thick, black hair on my legs, arms and eyebrows and called me a gorilla. I recented my mom so badly (probably loathed is a better description) for making me wait till I was 14 year old till I could pick up a razor or pluck my eyebrows which dug deep into our ability to bond as mom and daughter cause I felt she wasnt looking after my emotional needs. We obviously mended our fences and have a beautiful relationship now but you dont want your daughter going through school gritting her teeth at you or hating you.
1139 posts
If I were you I'd pluck! I was teased for years and years throughout school because I used to have a pretty obvious skin tag on my right cheek. Kids teased me so much about it and it used to make me cry - my mum didn't take me to a plastic surgeon to get it removed until I was 14 and I wish she had done it earlier. Children can be cruel sometimes - just do what you think is best.
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I have mixed genes! My mum has darker skin, and my dad is pale! So i was left with brown skin, and dark black hair! I have hairy arms, and had hairly legs and we all know how cruel kids can be!! So, because of my own expereinces, i would pluck the monobrow!! i think it will make your daughter feel more confident :)
Kellie
570 posts
What is it with Mums and the 'you can't do this, this and this until you're 14' rule?  My mother wouldn't let me get my ears pierced or legs shaved until then.  Thankfully a quick stint living with my Dad and lovely stepmum at the age of 12 sorted that out - and a good thing too as I am a hairy wee beastie!

I can already see my little one may have a wee monobrow happening and have considered what I will do.  Hopefully I can raise her to be 'whatever' to any bullying types, but if not I'm totally open to plucking/waxing/lasering (depending on her age and comfort levels with the pain/process) if it gives her more confidence and keeps the bullies at bay.  A mum's gotta do what a mum's gotta do, right?
Macs
5351 posts
Hi there. Im a mum. I have a six year old daughter whom I love and adore. She has thick eye brows . She hasnt once discussed any concerns about her appearance yet. Im lucky that she doesnt get teased at school either. If I had to choose , I would sit down with my girl and discuss the pros and cons. Make a descision as a family (Partner included) and make a plan from there. Also finding ways to make my girl feel good about herself. We often do our nails and play around with my make up. Building self esteem. Im lucky because my girls quite confident. Hope Ive helped. Goodluck xxx
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
I think maybe you should ask her if she really wants it gone and take her opinion into consideration. I personally don't think she's too young I mean if it means happiness for about 5 minutes of pain then why not? Also I think it's the bullies that have to change not the ones being bullied. Perhaps you could inform her teacher if the teasing becomes really serious.
MicheleC
419 posts
Hmm - kids can be so cruel. I was tormented over every little thing. Being the first to have a period, having stretch marks, the first to wear a bra......

I plucked my eyebrows early (13ish) and they have suffered as a result.

I would consider plucking the few stray hairs in the middle, over her nose. These are hairs she will want to get rid of most likely when she is older. Other than that I wouldn't touch anything else. Just a small change could make all the difference. Then maybe using some vaseline or wax to shape the brows so they look less wild (if that is something both of you want).

All of this is a balancing act - empowerment, happiness vs. distress and excessive attention to appearance issues. 
STORM03
94 posts
well, as a view from a teenager, i hate being teased, it stinks oh so bad... i got teased alot when i was at primary and intermediate... it hurt and now i am left with some very very bad confidence issues... but if i may add some "help", maybe, you could pluck the middle. it should help her, and it also probably help her eyebrows be easier to pluck when she is older as well as, shuving some "and what" into those bad kids faces, i wouldnt pluck the main part though, as i done that and now my eyebrows are kind of blah. managable, but still blah, im sure your daughter is a very very gorgeous girly, and to have beautiful full brows is something she should be happy for (no matter what other stupid children say)...  all the best, and send our regards to your daughter. :D <3
melly650
375 posts
I'd say pluck the "monobrow" - hey, if it doesnt grow back she'll save on threading appointments for the rest of her life and she can take you out for coffee instead :P

Hun, the best advice I can ever give is to do what you feel is right! x
kayxcake
422 posts
Bullying is so horrible :/ maybe pluck the monobrow and leave the rest unpluck. thick bushy eyebrows aren't bad, I really don't understand the brow craze these days and not just bullying within the kids groupies, adults are bullying each other with their "non exsiting" or "thick and bushy" brows, it's so mean! 

I have a monobrow and bushy, long and messy brows which I pluck once in like 3 months, I don't fuss about my brows especially when I got told off last time I went to get my brows wax :( my parents really didn't like it and they even gave me a 30 mins lecture of "the beauty of bushy, long messy brows".
nemesisroxx
506 posts
Thank you so much for all your replies and advice ladies! It broke my heart to hear that she was being teased for that, it actually took me a while to get it out of her, partly because she didn't want to tell me because she was embarrassed and partly because she had trouble translating (they only speak maori or spanish at her school). Children can be so mean! I think I will ask her after school today if she wants me to pluck the mono for her. Let her be part of the decision. 
jenni_bird
37 posts
I think asking her what she wants to do about it is a great idea, and if she wants to then remove the mono part.  So sad that other kids are upsetting her :(
Susilia
484 posts
Bullying is a very bad experience, but it also teaches your child not to be a bully later in life and be more emphatetic and kind, which is good. Removing the mono-brow will help her this time, but if she is an easy target, the bullies will find something else, maybe they will even bully her for removing it. Sorry, I don't want to upset you, I just know, as I was constantly bullied, no matter what I did or looked like. But I wouldn't go back and change anything for the world, it has made me what I am today. Just tell her to shake it off and that she should be proud of herself that she's not bullying the weaker, and it just makes her stronger and a kinder person. Also, not everyone will like her even later in life and she also doesn't have to like everyone and she should be the person she can be proud of and don't give a damn about what anyone else thinks, I know it is hard for a child to understand it, but the more often you tell her that, the deeper it will be in hear head and eventually she will get it.:)
Marcel
335 posts
If it were me I'd just do it.. pulling a few hairs to me it's not really a big deal.
Rezee
1964 posts
I have an 8 year old daughter as well. she doesn't have a monobrow but if she did and was getting upset about it, then yes I absolutely would do something about it, even this young. My daughter does have kind of hairy legs, she has never said anything about it but if it is an issue for her soon then we would do something about that too.
I get that most kids are teased about something but I figure if there is something I can help with to lessen that, then why not?
xjayloux
900 posts
Pluck! Kids are cruel and its only the hairs that she wont want when shes older anyway if they are the inbetween ones between the brows!  Most things my mum waited for me to be like 12-13 for but I think this is definitely a fair call to make for your girls happiness! 
I think her mum should take her to a beauty therapist to have her eyebrows shaped slightly and mono brow waxes off.  It lasts for 4-6 weeks and should only cost bout $10 or so.
I think her mum should take her to a beauty therapist to have her eyebrows shaped slightly and mono brow waxes off.  It lasts for 4-6 weeks and should only cost bout $10 or so.
All the best with however you deal with this one chicky. I was also teased for something on my face when I was young and thankfully my parents did everything they could for me. I love them for it and if I have kids one day, would do the same. X
SandieNZ
424 posts
I've got 4 kids - my eldest is 11 and if she were having an issue like this I think I would just pluck the monobrow.  You know your daughter best, and honestly I think if it's really upsetting her then if you can, fix the problem.  It may seem a bit weird for you plucking her eyebrows this early, but then it's not like you're doing it for any reason other than to stop her feeling picked on.  Kids can be so blimmin cruel, and confidence is such a huge deal for them - you're doing an awesome job mama :)
Mila
1209 posts
Kids can be so cruel... I don't have any kids but I do know these things have a big bearing on your self esteem it is horrible to be teased, I never had hair issues but I did have skin issues and while they weren't easily fixed my mum tried really hard to make new feel better. My cousin was really hairy she was very fair and had very dark hair on her arms and face she used to wax hear arms and was allowed to have thread mono plucked but that was all. I think tidy up the brows but like some ladies have said no plucking I ruined mine plucking to early :)
Manda129
419 posts
Awww don't you wish you could go back to school sometimes and come up with the adult answers we have learnt and reply to some of these remarks, I think at the end of the day if it is upsetting your daughter, especially with self esteem, speaking as a mum I would do something, to help her, you wouldnt want her to attempt it herself, when your not watching, so maybe see what she wants to do first xx
As a beauty therapist, you would be surprised how many young girls we have come in exactly for that reason, I think my youngest would be about 9, its amazing how much better they feel after having it removed. 
cushlaH5
178 posts
if it was my child i was first try to instill in them that theyre beautiful no matter what and you love them no matter what. but if they come to you crying about bullies id just pluck the monobrow tbh
nemesisroxx
506 posts
I do tell all my kids that they are beautiful inside and out... but one mean comment from any other kid seems to be enought to make her forget that. GRR! I talked to her and she said she would like for me to pluck it, but not til tonight. She's a bit worried about the pain. I told her we could numb it with a could flannel. She was also worried it would stay red. I'm hoping the kids will lay off her. Once the mono is gone. 
I'm a mum of 2 under 3 so have not had to deal with bullies yet, as for your situation if it was my daughter i would explain to her it is not a big deal, kids will try and find anything to bully you about just because they think it is fun, i would just ask her if she wants to pluck it (not make it a big deal) and tell her all about something i got teased for just so she knows everyone does go through it and hopefully she will have a laugh at me, then i would tell her do what ever makes you happy but not what you think will make others happy as you don't need to please anyone else you just want to be happy in your skin.
Cat1616
21 posts
It's obviously bothering you both, totally up to you and I'm sure as a mum you have a gut feeling of what you're thinking of doing (or not doing). It's a perfect opportunity to have a mother/daughter day out and spoil yourselves and at the same time will make her feel pretty special and with what was said about the bullies she may just need a little boost :-). You could (if finances permit) have a mini facial, nails done and a tiny tidy up of her brows - the smallest amount removed will still make a HUGE difference to her. If you do go down that road make sure they don't take too much off so she looks totally different as this will prompt the bullies to tease her even more. All the best :-)
dj_roxy9
11 posts
I have a daughter myself and it's pretty hard as a mother to see your child upset about something such as eye brows. Other kids can be so cruel and go to the point of bullying. My advice is try remove a few hairs to break up the mono brow leaving her natural brow alone and tell her to embrace the look. Then again if kids are used to seeing her eye brows like that then it may pass over time. Poor hunny it's hard to please now a days and I feel for you too :( whatever you chose to do I'm sure will be the right choice as they say mothers know best :) good luck x
nemesisroxx
506 posts
O gosh I never thought of making it into something fun! Finances are tight this week but I am ACE at the at home mani/pedi/facial thing! Will add in some mono plucking and get my 5yo daughter to join us. I'm excited for tomorrow now! Thanks everyone for the great advice and understanding xx
Jesse
745 posts
I'm sure she'll love the experience :) I have very bushy brows so this is something I experienced growing up, I know my first experience with tweezers was painful but well worth it!
kirstysays
762 posts
That sounds like a great idea.  I'm sure it will boost her confidence a lot.  Man some kids can be cruel, hate bullies.
STORM03
94 posts
Thats sounds like an awesome thing to do, great ideas ladies!!! :D :P
I say do it..If you are only trying to get rid of the ones in the middle part then I don't think its that big of a deal
spooks26
108 posts
Kids can be so mean .They always find something to pick on.Have a good talk about the situation and if shes comfortable with plucking .then I would just do the mono .Id say when she gets to her teens shes going to anyway .I'd would slowly do a couple of hairs at a time, do it though so the other kids dont notice otherwise they may pick on her for plucking.Good luck.Hope things get easier for her
DaileJ
16 posts
Really keen to hear how you got on with your daughter!  I would have definitely done this if my girls had had this problem or even something similar.
dmnelson71
64 posts
I have a 14 year old daughter who has eyebrows that I'm dying to pluck but worried.  So I told her when she's ready to let me know.  Maybe we will wax them first.  She does talk about doing something to them although she is a bit scared of pain involved.  So til she's ready I guess I have to wait.
Lutece
1849 posts
I'm sad to hear this but I have the same problem, my daughter has got a mono brow shadow and I have been questioned on if I've considered removing it from family and friends, she is half Arab & the hair is starting to get darker each year.

i would pluck your girls mono brow, it's hair that she won't miss, I feel so sorry for her, being bullied is horrible ????
Lutece
1849 posts
I'm sad to hear this but I have the same problem, my daughter has got a mono brow shadow and I have been questioned on if I've considered removing it from family and friends, she is half Arab & the hair is starting to get darker each year.

i would pluck your girls mono brow, it's hair that she won't miss, I feel so sorry for her, being bullied is horrible !!
itskaz_xo
199 posts
Do what ever you have to, to make your girl feel comfortable hun x At the end of the day she's your daughter so of course you're going to do what's best for her. Don't worry about what anyone else has to say if they're going to be negative about it. If that was my baby, I'd definitely pluck (which wont be too far off cause she's already starting to get one). Bullying these days is just getting worse, it's ridiculous. Kids can be sooo cruel. Hope your daughters ok, poor wee thing. Sending lotsa cuddles her way xo
Inca
7 posts
The poor honey! Kids can be so cruel :( I have 4 children, but only 1 is a girl and she is just about to turn 6, so we are yet to face any real beauty issues yet (other than "I want pink hair!" haha!) - maybe sit down and talk with her, see what she'd like to do to help her feel more confident? It's her body, her choice, and nobody should make her feel like she has to change herself or conform to society. But if she'd feel better about herself and she would be happier at school, then perhaps just plucking the monobrow is the way to go. Let her make the decision though :) Good luck!
Inca
7 posts
The poor honey! Kids can be so cruel :( I have 4 children, but only 1 is a girl and she is just about to turn 6, so we are yet to face any real beauty issues yet (other than "I want pink hair!" haha!) - maybe sit down and talk with her, see what she'd like to do to help her feel more confident? It's her body, her choice, and nobody should make her feel like she has to change herself or conform to society. But if she'd feel better about herself and she would be happier at school, then perhaps just plucking the monobrow is the way to go. Let her make the decision though :) Good luck!
Maybe take her to get the middle waxed, do not let them touch any other part though. Kids are shitty. Or send her to school with a pic of Cara Delevingne. Big Brows are Beautiful
nemesisroxx
506 posts
Hey ladies thank you so much for your input! We ended up having a pamper day on Sunday. Started with manisand pedis, then had facials, watched a movie, veged out and ate junk food. Then we plucked her mono. She said it was a little sore but she didn't mind the pain. I did try to numb the area with a cold flannel but she was too hoha to keep it there for long. In the end she looked in the mirror, beamed a big smile and said yayyyy thank you mummy! She hasn't had any teasing either so yay for that!

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!