Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

How to use soy wax melts?

51 posts, 14 members
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I don't own an oil burner ... is there any other way of using soy wax melts? 

If not, I need suggestions of where to get a cheap oil burner from.  I have a whole box of tea light candles, so I don't mind if it's one that needs a candle underneath and isn't one of the fancy new plug-in ones.
shazatron101
5112 posts
I remember a while ago farmers wife/ Ong put a tinfoil "bowl" on her fire place and used it to melt the wax - bit too hot for that now though lol. The Warehouse have a pretty decent one, its roughly $5 (I have 3 but forget the price) and it works pretty darn well!
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Places like the $2 shop sell them. Kmart and the warehouse would also have cheap ones :-)
trudijoy
8375 posts
yup they're super cheap, i have a warehouse one and a taller one, i recommend the taller one by far!
Ringy
825 posts
scented just had a super sale and their burners were like $22, so keep an eye out for that sale next year! It was chaotic. I have an inessence one from the chemist but it is hotter and seems to use up the fragrance quicker - so I think the amount of heat has an impact on the melts longevity. 
Ringy
825 posts
scentsy I mean!
Macs
5351 posts
I saw a glade wax melt thing in countdown. I was tempted to buy it. I'm hoping to go have a look at the Aroma Addiction packs their here in auckland. Tossing up between the two not sure which one to buy. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
Yes Scentsy is amazing. They recently had a Cyber Monday sale. I tried to get a few bars but they sold out so fast since they were 60% off. I did see really cheap warmers under 30 bucks. If you like wax melts Scentsy is the way to go so much variety, user friendly, affordable and they scent throw is amazing.
shazatron101
5112 posts
Scentsy are good yes but for those that can't afford a $50+ odd dollar warmer it's not really ideal, seeing Scentsy can only be used in their warmers - you can use them in tea light ones but you have to be super careful. My mum was burning a Scentsy melt in her tealight warmer and it had melted in under 2 minutes and was bubbling away like it was water on the stove top. I've never seen a melt do that, it was odd. 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Thanks, ladies.  I popped into my local Dollar Store at lunchtime and managed to get an oil burner from there for $3.

I've never used wax melts before and got some in my advent calendar this morning, so I'm keen to try them.  If I like them and want to go the melt route in future, I'll look at investing in a better burner.  I'll just have to keep an eye on this little burner to see that the melt doesn't bubble or get too hot.  They're not Scentsy melts but I'll keep checking it just to be safe.  Thanks for the warning.

SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I highly recommend the glade warmer from the supermarket. They are around $15. I did start out with a cheap oil burner from the warehouse but found they burnt the melt far too quickly. I also had the experience of the wax bubbly and the scent only lasted a few minutes. The melts need to be gently warmed. I've accidentally left the glade warmer on overnight more than once and haven't burnt the house down so they are safe to use. 
shazatron101
5112 posts
Hahahahah Soozie don't worry I've left mine on overnight too :P luckily I wake up at stupid oclock and can turn it off before someone else realizes :P
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
I'd like to find a quality product with a friendly price tag using scentsy is great I leave mine on all night and day but it's the price that stings me and usually purchase on sale items have two warmers in the house with sugar cookie warming up now.
Mixy
33 posts
Hey Ladies im one of those scentsy gals, i absolutely love it and while yes its a bit expensive to start off in the long run im finding it so much cheaper i was buying and burning candles nearly every week and soy melts too, but the thing with the scentsy - im not doing the sales person pitch on ya :) - it keeps your wax melts at a constant temperature, flames are too hard on the wax and hense why it bubbles and wont smell as nice, the wax bars last so long as well and you can mix flavours too, honestly its so much safer and nicer in the long run. Its huge over in America like absolutely nuts!
The best way to get started i think is to get a whole heap of friends interested and host a party and then you get the rewards for free if they all spend over a certain amount.
Its worth looking into i reackon - im a little addicted ive 5 warmers and lots of wax lol opps.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
The little oil burner I bought from the Dollar Store is a fail ... the flame is way too close to the top and the melt liquified way too fast and began boiling.  I'm not prepared to go the Scentsy burner route, as the melts I have are not from Scentsy and I've heard that only Scentsy melts can be used in a Scentsy burner? 

I'll look into getting a taller ceramic one, as I'd like to be able to use it as an oil burner as well as for melts, as I have lots of aromatherapy oils left over from when we lived in a house with a bath ... how I miss having a bath with oils and goodies! Our 'new' house is shower only. 

Trudi, can you remember where you got the taller one from? 
shazatron101
5112 posts
Silvene, check out either Scent Chips or Aroma Addiction! They both have a nice range of tea light/electric warmers. I have 2 from Scent Chips, one tea light which is taller than my Warehouse ones, and one electric and they're both great. They're also cheaper than Aroma Addiction but... AA have the better melts, in my opinion :-) 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Thank you, Shaz, I'll look into those.

I found a temporary solution to my little oil burner boiling the melts.  This will give me a bit more time to look for a taller one and I don't feel I have to rush into purchasing the first one I see and I can still use the "Christmas Aroma" melts that I have in the meantime.  I have some little bowl shaped tealight candle holders that are made of thick glass and one of them nestles perfectly and securely into the top of the oil burner with a little gap underneath, so that the bottom of the glass is not touching the burner bowl.  I popped a melt into the glass candle holder and lit the burner ... and it worked! The melt took way longer to liquify and the scent is so much more intense.
Christmas Aroma melts sound yum!  I just splashed out on a Scentsy one because I love Aroma Addiction and the Rustic Co soy melts <3
trudijoy
8375 posts
sarahellaoverton, the rustic ones are great! I got some free from the company (the person who runs it is super lovely and when something went ever so slightly wrong with my order she sent me a freebie) and just got another scent in my NZ advent calendar from Beautiful Christmas, so my house is going to smell AMAZING for ages.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
This may be a dumb question but this is my first time using melts ...

Does the wax melt eventually evaporate or does it just lose its scent and need to be tossed out and replaced with a new one? 

The one I've been burning seems to have lost its scent after being used for 5 days. It hasn't evaporated enough for me to simply add a new cube to the old one, so do I scrape the old one out before adding a fresh cube?  What do you ladies do? 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Yes once the scent has gone, replace the melt. I put the bowl of the warmer in the freezer for awhile then the melt comes out easily. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
doesn't sound dumb at all Silvene, I've wondered similar! I've had one that lost it's scent that I did that with ('that' being soften it and then use a paper towel to soak up the wax, leave it to cool and throw it away) but the current Living Light ones I have just seem to melt and reform and keep scent. Which is a bit annoying because I have a stash and I WANT them to burn down faster...

I've tried a smaller burner and THAT went faster, but the problem then is that the burner gets quite warm. So I have them in the taller one and just burn them sometimes, and candles sometimes. I think I might cut them into quarters in future.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Thanks, ladies.  I tend to be accident prone, so I don't want to be playing around with hot melted wax and paper towels.  I'll wait for the wax to harden and then scoop it out before using a new cube.

shazatron101
5112 posts
I wish they evaporated! That'd be cool. But sadly no. There are "hacks" you can use like if you put a cotton bud/piece of ribbon in the still warm wax its easier to pop out when hardened.
I like to use a tissue/paper towel and soak up the melt thats there and use it for fire lighters!
I also sometimes use a knife on hard wax, just gently run around the edges of the hard melt and dig the knife in slightly and it usually pops out. Or I get a mess. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Silvene the taller one was from Acquisitions ages ago i think.

Shaz i can't scrape it out, it goes everywhere and takes ages haha.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Shaz, you've given me an idea but I'm going to have to test it first before I share ... just in case it's a huge fail! Lol.
shazatron101
5112 posts
yay!! good luck! i don't even know what it is haha but i do hope it works :-) 
shazatron101
5112 posts
Oh Silvene, it's not wax related but you're here now and I can't be bothered making a new thread, but if I wanted to paint a nail decal (like a christmas tree or star etc) to put on my nails later, whats the best material to use?  
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I'm glad you asked Silvene! I had no idea so have never purchased melts before, now I'm so keen too lol
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Lol, Shaz! 

Using "pantry staples", I'd recommend a Glad bag and a toothpick.  Put a thin layer of top coat onto the Glad bag, big enough to go under your design.  Once dry, use the toothpick and your chosen polish colour to 'draw' your design over the top coated area. Leave to dry completely.

Once dry, gently peel the design off the Glad bag, using tweezers and trim any excess top coat that may be sticking out with a pair of scissors.  Apply to your painted nail and then topcoat to hold in place. 

I'd recommend doing a few extra decals all on the same bag, just in case some of them split when peeling them off.  

Please let me know how it goes ... can't wait to see a pic! 
shazatron101
5112 posts
Eee thanks! I might do a test run tomorrow but they're for next week :D Thanks heaps lovely !!!
RamblingRose
1280 posts
You're welcome! :)  If you come up with any other questions while you're experimenting with your decals, feel free to ask.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
My wax melt removal idea worked ... Thanks, Shaz, for the inspiration. 

I had just replaced the little tealight candle under the wax melt and hadn't yet thrown the empty "shell" away.  The idea I had was to tie some string to the little wick holder (that was left over in the bottom of the tealight candle) and drop that into the centre of the liquid wax melt in my burner that had now lost its scent, then leave it to harden overnight.  I looped the top of the string over a wooden skewer and balanced this over the top of the burner bowl so that the string would stay centered while the melt hardened around it.

This morning I used the skewer with the string still looped around it as a sort of handle and simple pulled the whole used wax melt out of the burner and tossed it in the trash.  No mess, no fuss! I did have to pull quite hard though but it all came out in one solid piece. 

I've kept the silver foil outer of the used tealight candle and will try melt my next melt inside it in the burner to see if that works.  Then when that one stops producing scent, I can simply lift the tealight shell out if the burner with the melt inside and dispose of the used melt (if it works, of course) and pop a new candle outer and melt in.

Using a tealight burner, I may get to upcycle the tealight shells and not have to clean out old wax melts ... it's still a theory at the moment.  I will try it out later today.

trudijoy
8375 posts
ooh i'm going to try the 'melt in a tealight case' hack! Good idea
shazatron101
5112 posts
I had to read that several times to make sense of it but yay! I'm glad it worked :-) the string hack is one I was yet to try :P 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Sorry if it didn't make sense, I typed that up before I had my coffee this morning! 

I think if string had been used by itself, it may have just pulled through when I tried to pull the wax out.  The tealight wick holder sinks to the bottom of the melted wax and has a flat base that the wax then hardens on top of, so it gives the string a bit of leverage and pops the wax out. 

A melt in an empty tealight case on top of the burner works.  The case is thin enough not to affect the way it melts.  Yay for a fuss-free melt replacement hack!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I still think just putting the burner in the freezer until the wax hardens enough to pop out in one piece sounds easier lol. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Silvene i tried that upcycling thing over the last couple days and it actually seems to be bad for the burner, there's no liquid in the top effectively so it's like lighting it with nothing in it. It worked great for a bit, but then I could smell the scorched ceramic.

Was worth a try!
RamblingRose
1280 posts
It was only an idea.  I've tried it in my burner for the last two days and it's been fine, no scorched ceramic smell in my house.  Every burner is different, so maybe that happens with some and not with others.

trudijoy
8375 posts
I wasn't having a go, I did think it would be worth a try, and it was.

I've had an oil burner catch on fire on me in the past so i'm not taking any chances :)
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Shazatron, did you try making the nail art decals? 
shazatron101
5112 posts
I did but they're soooooo damn fiddly cut, I may have given up :P . I tried the toothpick trick but it didn't really work out for me :<
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Another option is a small brush, instead of a toothpick.  If you have an old eyeliner brush or tiny paintbrush, it should work. 

Try placing the bag over your nail/s and marking out the size, so you know how big to make the base coat and minimise having to trim the decals.  Trimming them is fiddly and requires tweezers and small scissors. 
shazatron101
5112 posts
I tried painting it on with a brush to start with but that was a pain too. I might just do normal painting, everything is much too fiddly!
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I know it's not the same as painting them yourself, but you could always try to find some Christmas themed nail art stickers.  Dollar stores, Look Sharp and places like Ippondo seem to stock them.
shazatron101
5112 posts
I have some nail decal tattoos that dont... really ... work ahhaha i might cut them and see what happens! i forgot all about them lol
MissQT
1547 posts
Great idea with that hack silvene! I've only used a melt once and it never lost scent (I only burned a quarter of it and the rest is still on top of my burner waiting to be burned next!). I didn't realise they never evaporated either. Trudi could you try using the tea light shell on top of the burner with some water in the burner, so it's sitting in a water bath? This might prevent it from scorching.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Too much faffing about MissQT lol. The way I do it is fine
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I'm a bit bias as I'm a Scentsy consultant lol, don't worry not going to try marketing or anything he he he.  But before the electric warmer stage I just used to use soy melts in my burner (cheap one from The Warehouse) and soy candles.  Unfortunately I was scared of the burners with the kids and animals around, so I joined up as a consultant and haven't looked back.  You just need to see what works for you :-)
trudijoy
8375 posts
My friend bought me an awesome melt burner for Xmas and it's changing things up :)

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!