Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

How about a section in General Discussion specifically for non-beauty related threads?

35 posts, 17 members
TillysMum
30 posts
That way, anyone can post a thread about non-beauty related topics, eg new jobs, winning non-beauty prizes, cars, etc etc, without clogging up the other beauty related threads.

I know that I get pretty frustrated and annoyed to come onto the Forum to read threads about beauty products, to find threads that have nothing to do with beauty or Beauty Review.

I can, and do, frequent other message boards for non-beauty related discussion, but this forum is where I come to read and discuss beauty related issues.

Just a suggestion.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Personally I think there is a trend on here towards mostly beauty stuff, buts it veers off on tangents that are a natural part of conversation.  It's a community.  It's all good, and easy enough to skim past things in my opinion.
chikoboo
3402 posts
Beautiful idea but I think the thread would still filter down into general discussion as the rest of the sections do :) xx
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I kinda thought the general discussion was for anything not beauty or losely beauty related because otherwise it would go under one of the beauty headings.

I do think having a place to talk about non beauty things is a fantastic thing though because its those things that make the BR community even more connected :)
TillysMum
30 posts
I understand the "natural" course of conversation, Trudi, where the direction veers off from the main line.  That is not what I am referring to.

What I object to is opening threads that have nothing to do with beauty products or services or BR.  There isn't even a disclaimer of NBR (not beauty related) in the title.  Discussions of new jobs, or cars, or personal lives, etc which have no beauty alignment, IMO don't belong in a forum specifically for discussions of beauty related topics.  It used to be that the Mods would come in and get the forum back on track, but now it seems that any discussion goes.  And for a site designed and devoted to Beauty, this is waaaaaay off track.  

All I am suggesting is this: for there to be non-beauty related topic discussion, provide a separate section for these.  I am sure that you would understand the benefits of that Trudi.  
trudijoy
8375 posts
For me that area exists and is called 'General discussion'. I disagree utterly and not just because you specifically reference a thread I started to share something twice, but because I like the general chitchat.

Everyones entitled to an opinion though :)
TillysMum
30 posts
It doesn't surprise me that you disagree "utterly", lol.  

I had a look in the General Discussion board, and out of the 50 threads on the first page, 6 are non-beauty related and 3 of those were started by you Trudi.  

Now, I am not having a go at you or anyone else.  

I am purely stating that in a Forum devoted to beauty product discussion, in my opinion, it would be advantageous to the members and to BR, to have a section specifically for non-beauty related discussion.  

But as you said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion...  I have heard from many members that they would also appreciate a separate area for non-beauty related discussions.  

So this is not just *my* opinion :)
MareeB
5244 posts
Wow. Unpleasant.  I agree with Trudi, the community is about supporting each other.
Lutece
1849 posts
Hi ladies!

I thought I would add my 5 cents into the discussion, as much as it is a good idea to have an area for non-beauty related things, I dont think it is a good idea.

Beauty review gives us the opportunity to mostly speak of beauty related things, which is alot easier to control, to a degree there is rules in place of what you can and can not talk about.

If we did have an area for non beauty related discussion, I fear that there would be conflict, and drama, I am not saying that conflict is bad, but keeping it beauty related keeps us in line to a degree. 

Most of us are friends on facebook too :)
pintsize
1072 posts
I agree with Lutece (wise woman there)
Having a seperate area might also encourage a lot more non-beauty related topics to be launched.  General off topic subjects are bound to crop up from time to time but in the scheme of things the percentages are heavy on the beauty side.
Life happens we enjoy celebrating wins of all kinds but I guess where possible it is nice to keep things on topic.

This is not directed at anyone, it is just my thoughts :)

On that note... off to research so new products :)

xx
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Nice idea and I see what you're getting across there.

My 2 cents is I like clicking on the new button and reading down to see what is being talked about and popping in if it grabs me. Or clicking on the most recent to see what has been "woken up" again.

I don't comment in every thread just if I think I can add to the convo. Last night was a bit of fun trying to figure out a members new career.
shazatron101
5112 posts
Hahah Ong that was fun! I was lucky enough to be told via Instagram haha :P sorry not sorry for taking away focus from the main point of this thread :-)
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Shazatron thanks for telling me now! Face palms head!
shazatron101
5112 posts
Telling you what? Lol I didn't tell you anything! 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Shaz and ong lol i had to be very careful
MareeB
5244 posts
Oh! I totally missed out on that Trudi! new career?
trudijoy
8375 posts
Yeah maree!!!! :)
michelleburne
229 posts
Actually isn't BR a Beauty Site about Beauty products, beauty discussions and all beauty related things. I do recall moderators stepping in once upon a time to REMIND US that the site is about BEAUTY....NOT everyday life, new cars, guessing games and some members just generally seeking attention to boost thier already over-inflated ego. "BEAUTY REVIEW....TALKING BEAUTY IS ALL WE DO" .........Website logo is it not? Seems to me favouritism is rife on here, and this site is most definately NOT the same site I joined way back to talk, learn and share and REVIEW. I dont CARE who has a new car.....or try and guess who has a new job......go to Facebook to get your likes and glory!!!! THAT IS ALL.
TillysMum
30 posts
Well said michelleburne
MillXhodia
136 posts
I still consider myself quite new to BR and I really like the feel of 'were all friends here' type vibe. Ive mostley seen health and beauty related topics, with the occasion where it goes off track. My vote goes to keeping as is :)
Marcel
335 posts
Oh snap.. Poor BR moderaters, I think everyone's points are valid..
simone94
191 posts
Sometimes the non beauty related posts can also be helpful an interresting, I dont mind seeing them and its easy enough to keep scrolling if its not something I am interested in.
trudijoy
8375 posts
It would be nice if points could be made inoffensively, though
Marcel
335 posts
Yeah :) Human nature ain't always a pretty thing, don't we all know it!
Head Pixie
569 posts
Evening my sweet peas. 

Is this a good time to mention that Head Pixie is a total LoveLove and is not at all fond of conflict? That she prefers it when the world is glittery and good and we're all munching on Skittles, tossing sparkly bits of foil about and giggling like we've had too much coke?

Alas, I see conflict. And I understand both points of view. Yes, talking about beauty is all we do - but - the forum does have a general discussion area, and often general discussion can become personal, especially as members get to know each other more. 

We've read your comments, and the BR Crew are in the process of deciding what to do next. This could be anything from putting NBR (Not Beauty Related) in the thread header, to a whole new section for more personal things, or something else that I know nothing about. 

Can I please ask that we cool our heels and play nice with each other while those greater than this pixie make the decision? 

I'm handing out virtual treats (chocolate, lollies, chips, fruit - just imagine your favourite thing and then think of me giving it to you) as a peace offering in the meantime.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Millions of kisses because all you need is love. Thanks, John.)
Lutece
1849 posts
And this is why you are Head pixie Kellie, you are the perfect lady for the job XXX
TillysMum
30 posts
Wow, as far as I can see, you are the only one offended Trudi...  but if a differing opinion or suggestion to yours offends you, ...??
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Oh I do like skittles and glitter. Thanks head pixie
TillysMum
30 posts
Just for future reference Kellie, conflict is not always a bad thing.  It is often a good thing.  It is useful for determining differing opinions, neither of which are right or wrong, they are just different.  I don't see anyone being "offensive" in this thread, but as we are all adults, I would suggest putting the emotional side of opinions aside and looking at the issue in an objective manner.  The suggestion was made - some people think this is an attack on them: it's not - so that the main areas of discussion are not clogged up with "look at me" posts.  I pop into the Forum on a semi regular basis.  I may (often) not post, but I look and I read.  And I notice the clogging seems to happen fairly regularly.

alikat
423 posts
Wow, some real shade being thrown around tonight, not cool. Sometimes beauty isn't just the stuff we stick on ourselves, it is our spirit and soul. Let nobody throw shade on your inner, or outer beauty. 
TillysMum
30 posts
Can you translate that into adult language please?  Apparently everyone is an adult here, how about putting on your big girl panties and being one?  How is having an opinion, that is not aligned with someone else, "throwing shade" ((what the heck does that mean??)) on someone's beauty???  If someone is unable to handle a different opinion or view from someone else without sulking or packing a sad over it, then maybe, just maybe, a discussion forum is not the best place for them to interact with others??
petinar
5 posts
Not sure how expressing an opinion is 'throwing shade'? Pretty sure that expressing our opinions is how we adults are supposed to communicate... and we are all adults here aren't we? Personally I'm sticking with the if you don't like it don't read it.... have a lovely weekend ladies ????
Head Pixie
569 posts
Thank you all for your opinons, the crew will talk over the situation in the morning.

This thread is now closed.

Now go enjoy your Friday night :) xx
Ngahew
152 posts
Shade is understatement...its really sad to see some condescending jabs dished put to long standing members, including to the moderator!
I come on to have my morning sqizzy at all the interesting conversations and pick and choose what will entertain me during my morning coffee...aue, I think I'll find old Days of Our Lives episodes instead!
For 'future reference', 'shade' is similar to sass but a little snarkier :-)
Head Pixie
569 posts
A reminder, the thread is still closed. Any further posts will be removed.

Thank you :) xx

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!