Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

19 posts, 13 members
pintsize
1072 posts
Hey BR Beauties,

I recently started making my own bath bombs to supplement my Lush addiction and I have been finding them quite fun to make and work really well (fizz and all)
So I know this has probably been asked soo many times but threads seem to be eluding me at the moment...
How many of you have made or do make your own products? 
What is your favorite one to make? and how did you come up with your best recipe?

xx
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I've always been going to try and make my own bubble bars but I'm not quite sure where I'd get some of the ingredients. I've made my own soap and candles before from boxed kits and but usually the most creative I get is mixing make up shades together to create new colours.

Your bath bombs sound really good :)
Artemis
311 posts
LOVE making my own stuff! Haven't got as much time or money to invest in ingredients right now but I have enjoyed it in the past.

Have made all kinds of things from bath bombs/salts to body creams, perfumes/body sprays, cosmetics (especially eyeshadow, I have my own recipes and formulas I have developed which honestly are really good if I say so myself - wore one of my eyeshadows in labour and still had it looking pretty good that same night!). Was going to start up a small indie makeup business last year but it was hard being the primary caregiver to my baby, in a new town, and I just didn't have much time to myself at all! Its on the back burner to do later in life, as I really do feel I have what it takes, I still get people stopping me in the supermarket to ask where they can buy the shadows I'm wearing!

I get migraines from perfume and have sensitive skin too, so thats where it all began really, just trying to make things I can use myself. Back in 2008 there wasnt as much gentle, chemical-free kind of stuff, its just become more popular recently, so I made lots of my own so I could still enjoy nice products but without the things that dont work for me.
Macs
5351 posts
The only home made stuff I made was Face mask with oats and manuka honey, Nail polish ( thanks to a tutorial on BR), and a lemon lip scrub. Someone here made bath bombs, I can't remember who it was. 

Homemade is so good. 
Artemis
311 posts
Macs, was that by mixing clear polish with eyeshadow? I've always wanted to make my own from scratch but its near impossible to get the base in NZ, noone will ship it here!
Macs
5351 posts
Yes it was artemis. I used a shimmer shade loose. I wonder what a matte shade would look like.
Chaotic82
522 posts
I do homemade Christmas presents with some friends and made lip gloss and bath bombs - but I didn't like how my bath bombs turned out that much.  Would love to find a really good recipe without tonnes of things in it :)
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I've never made my own, but someone I went to school with makes bath salts and shower disks.  Apparently, if you add lavender, peppermint and eucalyptus oil to the shower disks they are great for treating colds and blocked noses (especially if you don't have a bath to add essential oils to).

Her recipes can be found here.
shazatron101
5112 posts
Oh Silvene I love you!! (And your friend...) those shower discs are so getting made tomorrow >:D 
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
That's awesome. I used to make heaps of bath type products when the kids where little and give them as gifts. At the time good morning had a segment on taken by the salvation army on how to save money. It was fantastic! Bath salts, fragrance water. Soaps. Candles etc
tannygirl
3392 posts
I used to do alot of DIY fresh face masques and hair masques but they were pretty much one usuage only and didn't smell nice. I did like the results I got from the papaya, egg and pumpkin masque but that thing stunk and would be pricier to make here than in the tropics. I did use to make an yogurt and tea concoction when I first arrived and it did give me really soft skin.
MareeB
5239 posts
I made bath bombs but they bombed! I have all the ingredients to make more, but no longer have the desire....
Chaotic82
522 posts
Shower discs are such a good idea.  Going to give that a go :D
Macs
5351 posts
I have plenty of herbs to give that a go. Thank you for sharing your friends recipe Silvene.
MareeB
5239 posts
I'd never heard of shower discs before - I'd be keen to make some and try them :)
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Glad I could help!  I've never tried making them, but I'd love to see pics if any of you ladies do decide to give the shower disks a go and whether they worked or not.
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Ooooh great thread x

I used to like making my own moisturiser when I couldn't find anything thick enough but now I've fallen in love with Lush, I am too lazy now.  Would love to make bath bombs but I just don't have the patience lol.  I love the sound of the shower disks though, may have to give that one ago x
Rezee
1964 posts
I love the idea of making my own products but so far it's still just an idea in my head.?I think I love buying new things too much.
MissQT
1547 posts
I love hand making things but admittedly I don't do it often as I don't have time. I often do baking for gifts.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!