Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Have you tried baking? And I don't mean cookies and cakes

20 posts, 15 members
chikoboo
3402 posts
There is yet another new trend that I have seen gaining more and more attention across the YouTube beauty-sphere.   Baking! which is a technique of setting your concealer onto your face for a longer, more flawless look.   Normally you just lighty dust the setting powder over your concealed areas but here you literally powder yourself until you appear to have a thick layer of icing sugar over your face.   Leaving it in place for 5-10 minutes whilst you do your eye makeup (double duty use, if you are using an eyeshadow or glitter with huge fallout the thick layer under the eyes will prevent the fall out from smudging into your makeup and will just dust it all away at the end) then once all done taking a big fluffy brush and with short but firm sweeps, dust the powder off your face in an upwards motion.  I have also seen them do this to the underside of contouring to make the effect more impactable.  Having played with it over the weekend I do see a difference, especially on the undereye area, it ironically looks less caked on and the concealer doesn't disappear into the fine lines.

Apparently this along with the clown contouring effect originates from the drag queen circuit so probably not for those who like soft n gentle, no makeup look =)

Love finding all these new trends, an article on cosmo about it here 
Pifithrin
1243 posts
I think it's really interesting to see all these techniques that originate in drag culture gain popularity in mainstream beauty. I'm awaiting gluing down your eyebrows and drawing on a new set with bated breath.

Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Oooooh now that sounds like a fun one to try! I can picture me yelling out to hubby "I'm off to bake my face"
Do you have links to the youtube people that did it best?
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Looks like an interesting technique. Now I need a transluecent powder evidently ;)
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
Oh that looks really interesting, might have to try it one day soon.
Haha re the drag queen origins - I watches documentary the other night and saw them gluing their eyebrows and thought that would be easier than trying to get my own eyebrows to behave sometimes!
Macs
5351 posts
Never heard of this technique before I must try it.
alikat
423 posts
I saw a video on this last night and now I have an uncontrolable urge to try this out and buy the Laura Mercier translucent setting powder (which seems to be the product of choice and my BFF has been raving about it for months). I'll try anything once. 
shazatron101
5112 posts
The girl who did the half nakey face half full face - Nikki Tutorials? I think she's done it before, but I can't be blasted to find anyone the video. Seems like an interesting concept, and if it works all the better! 
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I have seen the term 'baking' being thrown around blogs and vlogs, but i was getting confused to be honest because one blog said that baking makeup was for example, putting concealer under your eyes, and waiting a few minutes before your blend it out so it warms up which provides better coverage. See, this explanation is a little different to yours, which is also the explanation i have seen on other blogs. Is there a few different definitions of the term baking? Maybe beauty review could do a wee article about it to help my poor confused brain out!
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
I'm actually going to try this for the first time today!
alikat
423 posts
This is about the best video I've found on baking. I believe Wayne Goss has one too I think, but I haven't had much time for YouTube this weekend :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EgD31_XcSE 

Wonder if my MUFE Microfinish HD powder would be suitable...hrmmmmm....

chikoboo
3402 posts
Can't access Youtube at work =( but I first saw it by Nicole of YoungWildandPolished, then Wayne Goss.  Also woke up to it all over my FB feed and IG so it's gain popularity.  I think it is fab, probably too much for everyday but if you want to go hardcore and wow on a night out then it makes a difference.
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
First person I saw do it was NikkieTutorials! I'm gonna try using my ELF HD Powder in Yellow and see how that works out >.<
AmyPearl777
11 posts
I have seen this and I'm super keen to give it a go!

I'm not completely sure how to do it - but I'll be checking out that YouTube link above, thank you! My concealer always moves and shifts around, especially in my T-Zone and under my eyes, I'm keen to give anything a go that might help! :D
MareeB
5242 posts
It sounds interesting Kirsty? tonight I'd rather have real baking though - but not if I have to do it!!!
Lutece
1849 posts
This is an awesome technique and I found it so useful when I started disliking creased undereyes, The Ro-vie finale powder has been perfect for baking :)
Mila
1209 posts
I havent tried this before but I definately want to give this a go...This is on my to try list soon !! :) I do find on me concealer creases quite a bit ..clearly my application needs some work :)
isemonger
224 posts
Excuse me while I go look on youtube at this
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Look on the home page there is a article with 2 links x
Macs
5351 posts
Was cool to see fellow members try this technique out today.I don't have the products to try it at this stage.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!