Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

haircuts and habits - and overreactions? :P

27 posts, 18 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
So I got about 10cm chopped off my hair today, and a restyle, and I spent about an hour afterwards running my hand through my hair and freaking out when I noticed there was some missing. I was there when it happened, I asked for it to happen and I paid for it to happen, so why was I surprised that my hair got shorter haha?

It's quite funny how used to things about ourselves we get, and when it changes you have that instant intake of breath moment when you forget it's been done and you're like 'what the heck?! It can be the feel or the reflection or any number of things.

Then I bought a new lipstick and got distracted by that and forgot about my hair again...

Just me?
MareeB
5241 posts
Oh yeah, hair cuts are freaky, especially when you go from long to short - terrible feeling. I hate it when the comb stops because it runs out of hair long before it should, and the tearfulness starts cos you know you now have to spend months getting back to where you were...
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
Yes, yes, YES. I went from white blonde to a more natural, two toned blonde/brown colour on the weekend. I asked for it, showed a picture, and the hairdresser did an amazing job. But he knew I was freaking out when I saw it! In my defense, they did have to do it quite dark so that it fades to the colour I want, because my hair was so light. It feels like such a massive change for me, and I looked in the mirror and saw BLACK hair, whilst most others would see blonde. I have had so many compliments though and I know it's doing great things for my complexion so I'm getting used to it. xx
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
Oh wait, I also got rid of the fringe that I have had since ...forever! I had a full fringe when I was four and have had a side fringe or full fringe ever since (full fringe for the past five years). I have had it pinned completely back off my face since the weekend and I feel NAKED but amazing haha xx
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I actually like it as I get my hair cut when it gets too much to maintain, when I have to sit and spend an hour taking out knots, it needs a serious chop.
The downside I have is I spend the next day or 2 in the shower putting to much product in my hair when washing and conditioning it.
trudijoy
8375 posts
aww maree - I don't get tearful but I do get all like 'it was so long and pretty!' lol

Chelsea I got the giggles when I stripped the black from my hair (yes, it went gingery blonde) and although I immediately dyed over it with a brown and it came up nice it was freaking hilarious for a couple of hours....
Macs
5351 posts
Maree I get tearful after I realise whats happened, (which is usually at home)I hate the shortness. Hence why Im so edgy about getting my hair cut. For once I'd love to walk out happy and satisfied xxxx
charly
456 posts
I'm pretty relaxed about my hair colour and cuts. The only time I got nervous was when my hairdresser buddy came to my place to do my hair on her day off. She didn't have all her products available and I went orange (aiming for blonde). I had a job interview the next day so I was rather worried. Poor thing had to take me into her work on her day off to fix me up!
chikoboo
3402 posts
I still get totally freaked out when the hairdresser cuts my hair as it's curly naturally so when damp it looks longer, so I have about an inch each time taken off, plus I get alot of volume cut out of it so the curls hang right, but I still grimmace as I look at all the hair around my feet thinking OMG that is too much, it never is and it always looks awesome when dry its just super freaky how thick and quickly I grow hair in 6-8 weeks lol. 
Mila
1209 posts
hahaha this made me chuckle ! I am totally like that to...I am lucky that my hairdresser knows me very well last time I went in there I wanted to chop it off (I have these random urges) and she said how about we just trim and if you still want to chop next time we chop.  She was right I left and was pleased I didnt chop !!...but even with just the trim I do the same thing why does my hair feel so light and stop so short whattttt !!!!

I want a fridge again because of you Chelsea ! :) - I had one as a teenager and grew it out but everytime I see your picture I think I want one
Mila
1209 posts
hahaha this made me chuckle ! I am totally like that to...I am lucky that my hairdresser knows me very well last time I went in there I wanted to chop it off (I have these random urges) and she said how about we just trim and if you still want to chop next time we chop.  She was right I left and was pleased I didnt chop !!...but even with just the trim I do the same thing why does my hair feel so light and stop so short whattttt !!!!

I want a fringe again because of you Chelsea ! :) - I had one as a teenager and grew it out but everytime I see your picture I think I want one
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
Mila (P.S I LOVE your name) you really would suit a fringe - although you look fab already! The only downside is the maintainance, particularly with blonde hair, and how if you get stuck in the rain your hair goes nuts! I personally feel very fresh without one, as I do think they emphasise a bad makeup day haha xx
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
Trudi have a FAB time in Melbourne and make sure you take photos to share with us xx
littleparadise
178 posts
Oh my gosh Chelsea! Would love to see a picture of your new hair! 
I cant picture you without your cute fringe, I can defenitely see you pulling of a more natural shade of blonde, go you! 

Yep, I was one of those girls who had long hair down to hips, until I was about 14, I then decided it wasnt cool anymore and got it chopped to under my shoulders in messy layers, with a side fringe... haha. Thank goodness I grew that out!

I have my hair long again now (under my breasts), but I do need to take better care of it, with regular trims as it does go very ratty and thin near the ends! 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Thanks Chelsea! XX awaiting a boarding call. May have accidentally bought MAC and Jurlique goodies already hehe oops ;)
neninoir
210 posts
I totally get where you are coming from trudijoy! A couple of weeks ago I had over half my hair cut off and Im still in mourning :/ I had bleached my black hair 4 x prior as it really needed a good chop but after I got home and  looked in the mirror I had instant regret!
Lucky my hair grows like a weed so hopefully in a good couple of months I should have alill more lenght and feel myself again! Eeeek!
MrsO
196 posts
I am one of those people who seldom goes to the hairdresser, from about the age of sixteen had waist length hair with a fringe, which lasted until my late twenties, then had various bobs, still with a fringe. I periodically grew it out long again, still with a fringe, every so often getting it chopped off up to my shoulders. I have 3 or 4 ponytails which I must get around to donating to Pantene for that cancer wig appeal. I tend to leave it to grow, then get sick of it being too long, & then get it chopped off. My daughter (in exasperation I think) gave me a gift voucher for my birthday so I finally went & got a style cut, colour, the works, which was nice, but I am never happy with my haircut.
Kellyleanne
551 posts
Yes would love to see a pic chelsea, sure it looks lovely. 

I used to be white blonde too, but now ive let my hair go back to my natural darker blonde. I am sometimes tempted to go darker and go brunette but I worry I may be abit too pale to pull it off.
chikoboo
3402 posts
Talking of hair colour changes, I woke up the other morning and looked in the mirror catching myself thinking...hmmm maybe it is time to go back red.  I stopped myself though as I have only just got the right pearl blonde I have been after in the last 4 months lol.  I swear I am never satisfied with myself lol
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
Thank you so much LittleParadise and Kelly.. I will give you all a fright and change my profile picture next week! I am waiting for it to lighten up a little first. Feeling super boring and I will always miss my blonde hair but my new colour is much more flattering xx
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
I love getting my hair done and changed cut colour etc never a shock now as it used to be back in the era of the PERM ha ha yes nothing like going in to the hairdressers with dead straight hair and coming out with your hair looking like springs ha ha I reckon if I can do that I'm pretty sweet to do anything these days and still be in my comfort zone 
ha ha I say confidentiality as I do tie it up lots ......
Lutece
1849 posts
Your new pic is rockin!

I dont really understand with hair as I can be quite extreme BUT I can say I feel the same about wearing something I dont normally wear, sometimes new and different is a good thing :)
kirstysays
762 posts
Wow Chelsea, that's a huge change...can't wait to see your new profile pic!  Bet it looks stunning.  

I was the same when I cut my hair into a bob many hairs ago...I have been growing my hair out ever since though and would freak out if I chopped it off again.  I have a love/hate relationship with my long hair though I must admit.
MareeB
5241 posts
Me too, but if I ever again in my life brave a haircut, I'd do it slowly, maybe starting with some layering then slowly lose the length. I got my last cut 6 months ago and I'm still angry with myself.
bronjenks
253 posts
I just had my hair coloured and re-styled this week too.  Havnt been able to get foils for about 2 1/2 years so was really nice to finally be able to do this again and it certainly makes one feel more 'put together' if that makes sense?  She did a great job of my fringe this time too which is a total bonus as that the one part of my hair I always seem to have the most trouble with and grows the fastest and thickest...arrgghh!  :-)
tannygirl
3392 posts
The first actual hair restyle I can remember I went from past my hips to half my back and had it cut in four layers. The last layer was really thin so I went back the next day to have it chopped off, then it still was too thin so I had the third layer chopped off. Then my hair that used to be past my hips was just below my shoulders. My hair curls at the ends when it reaches a certain length and I missed the curls and the length plus it was too short for me to braid so I determined never to cut it short again and I haven't. I only have it trimmed. Unfortunately it never grew past my hips again.
I hear you Trudi.  I have waist length hair and I know I need a massive chunk lopped off.  I can't bring myself to do it and when I do, they will need to hide the hair on the ground before I see it.  My palms are sweating thinking about it now!!  

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!