Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

French braids

14 posts, 12 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
So for some reason I decided that I finally want to learn to French braid my hair. I've played around with it for ages tonight and managed okay pigtail French braids but from anyone who knows more than me, are there tricks? I'm assuming freshly conditioned hair isn't ideal for this one!
MissQT
1547 posts
I love French braids, any braids really. Yeah freshly conditioned hair will make it too slippery to work with. The day after you wash you hair is best. It helps to use a mirror in front and behind you so that you can see what you are doing. If you want that slick, neat and tidy look you can apply a bit of hairspray or hair moose to tack down fly aways. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
I wear my hair in a french braid most of the time. My hair is long like past my waist, almost to my hips. My tips are just losts of practice makes perfect.
-Make sure your hair is brushed out (especially if your hair is long the ends braid themselves and tangle). Sometimes runing a brush or comb through the ends as you hold the uncompleted braid tight helps if the ends are prone to tangling while you braid. 
-Slightly messy is okay and a bit chic with short hair. If you want the front to look less bumpy or the braid to look a bit smoother you can comb the front, back towards the braid and the sides towards the braid, after you're done to smooth things out and it helps make it a bit less obvious if  the sections of hair from the sides that you've pulled into the braid are uneven ammounts. 
- Bobby pins can be used to neaten things up.
- If the bumpy top bothers you, try a dutch french braid (where you braid the piece under instead of over). I've also found a dutch french braid holds my hair in better then a regular french braid.
- A french braid is great for days when your hair is a bit dirty, but works great on freshly washed hair. 
- Experiment with french braids, diagonally, straight down, just the front half, a thin one all around your head, etc. tuck the ends in for a hair up look or braid the ends. I have long hair so I do thin ones around my head and then braid them at the back since it looks good on long hair. Add some pretty accessories to dress it up. 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I love french braids. I have really long hair so mine come out looking pretty messy. My best tip is get someone else to do it lol sorry Trudi I am not helpful :-)
Macs
5351 posts
I've been trying to master french braids for years now. I still havent got it right.
JessB
219 posts
French braids = arm workout, amIright?
Haha though I have always had thick hair so find I need to use small sections of hair otherwise it's too bulky and loose. My suggestions would be 1. to use the end of a comb to separate the sections (otherwise can get tangled easily) and 2. once you have sections you can twist them (in the direction towards the centre of the braid) to help keep them tidy. 
ragingfrog
1289 posts
That 2 mirror tip is awesome and next time I do a braid I will have to remember it.
When I do my own french braid I feel I never start far enough forward, they always seem to start high at the back not what I am wanting.
I also recommend patience when doing it and not feeling rushed to be somewhere, this is when I always hit problems.
Keep a comb handy to fix tangles as you go as long hair has a habit of tangling. Before starting brush/comb all our hair back, I find this helps keep the loose hair lumps to a minimum.
Practice on the sides and front doing a part of your hair like a headband so your fingers get used to the movement without the arm workout.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Good luck. I don't think the french braid is something I've ever fully mastered.
Qweenkaren
313 posts
I love the french braid. as others have said - practice!!
I tend to make use of a longish fingernail when separating sections, and sort of press into scalp at the hairline, working your way up. If you are like me with loads of hair, you will also need to do half section bits - where you start half up your head.

I find it easier to do without a mirror on my own head and I have no problem working on either dry, wet, clean or dirty hair - although if it is oily I recommend the dry shampoo for starting - had this recently with my step daughter.
If you have a lot of whispy bits, or not quite long enough - try the alternative "german" method of pulling the strand under the other two, rather than over - this will make the plait sit on top of your hair.

Have FUN!!
MareeB
5244 posts
I love french braids too, but I haven't a chance of actually ever doing one unfortunately!!
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Good luck! I can not for the life of me do french braids!
trudijoy
8375 posts
you guys are awesome! I've practiced a bit this week and currently have my hair in two short messy french braids - I get away with messy because its short i think! it's also a style i can live with unwashed hair in - i'm usually an every day girl! I might have to rock these on the beach next week :D
trudijoy
8375 posts
pic of the first passable attempt on the wall.... i look like a muppet apart from the cute braids but oh well lol
swamphen
73 posts
YouTube is my go to for French plait and other braids tutorials.   My favourite to follow is " Milabu". She has short hair like mine.. And makes it all look so easy.

I've always found plaiting clean hair tricky- but since I found texturising spray this has made a bid difference.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!