Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Foundation question!

54 posts, 22 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
hey lovelies.

I'm starting to head towards 'needing a new foundation' time. I currently have the Chichi fab and flawless one, (which I got free! wasn't on my radar before that )and i love it, but it's sheer, and I want a fuller coverage foundation because I feel like BB cream covers my face fine for sheer days.

I have combo skin that tends towards oily, and breaks out sometimes due to my thyroid condition but isn't actually sensitive; the reactions are caused internally and expressed on my face, joy of joys. I want something with more of a matte finish but not ultra matte as I tend to use powder over foundation anyway. I'm happy to pay decent money for something good.

Any recommendations?
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Oasis The Monroe is a great BB Cream with medium - full coverage and a matte finish :)

trudijoy
8375 posts
yeah i had a sample of that amanda and was impressed, forgot about that. would prefer something a bit more liquidy in formula though that's a decent option!
Rezee
1964 posts
What have you tried before, Trudi? Sorry I'm not really any help, I stick to more light to medium coverage or just bbs!
trudijoy
8375 posts
i'm intrigued by maybelline fit me matte and poreless...

i've tried and been reasonably impressed with the maybelline better skin, cliinique whatever it was i got a free trial of, and moisture mist beauty cake, but they're still all sheer.

BB wise once i use up the body shop one i have i'm going to buy the anna sui one i adore and covet, so that has me covered for sheer; it's more a 'going out' fuller coverage i'm after that nothings really given me yet.
Kaitlyn343
268 posts
Before I went on medication I had skin like that and I found rimmel 25 hour lasting finish foundation to be the best for me. It's the one with the red top. It's pretty affordable too!
trudijoy
8375 posts
kaitlyn interesting, rimmel is so cheap too. i have to check that out! thanks!
shazatron101
5112 posts
I can't help, but when do I ever? haha. I have the ChiChi one too, do like. But I agree it's not full coverage, but I think I like it for that reason. I really liked the sample of Matte and Poreless Sarah sent me but it was waaayyy to dark, yet they don't stock any lighter shades here /criez. Go into a fancy schmancy place that has Estee Lauder and ask for a sample of that - I did, was quite fun to be color matched and I think its a full coverage foundation.
Also if you know your shade in Chi Chi, ring up Mecca and ask to get some samples from them - something I've also done! All you do is pay shipping and I got 6 samples? But they were very generous sizes with a few extras and I think you can say if you prefer full coverage or not. They were very helpful, and I do recommend :D I hope that helps!
Rezee
1964 posts
Have you tried any mac ones? Years ago, like 10 years! I was given a mac foundation and it covered all my freckles,  I loved it. Mac is so inaccessible to be at the moment so I've never tried again and don't remember the name of it!
The cover fx drops sound great too.
trudijoy
8375 posts
rezee im loathe to try MAC foundation for some reason; i think if i could get samples i'd be more inclined.

Shaz that's a great idea! I didn't know Mecca did that!
shazatron101
5112 posts
Neither did I until I came in here asking about foundation samples haha. They arrived pretty quick too :D and were pretty spot on for my skin so I'm happy enough with that!
trudijoy
8375 posts
do you just call them up and have a chat then ask shaz?
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I looooove Mac foundations but I seem to be going for sheerer as I'm getting older. I do find even their BB very buildable though. They will give you samples if you ask, they depot it into a little sample pot. It might depend where you go though as they can be a bit funny on Mac counters! (I'm looking at you, Wellington airport stand who wouldn't even acknowledge my existence!). I used to like Studio Finish when I was going for more coverage. 
shazatron101
5112 posts
Yeah pretty much, I think I said something along the lines of "I'm in the need of a new foundation but don't wanna spend and find out I hate it, and I heard you do samples". Was fairly straight forward after that :-)
Pifithrin
1243 posts
MAC do do samples if you know your shade - just ask! Prolongwear might be good for you.

Mecca you ring and then pay the postage ($5 ish dollars from memory).
trudijoy
8375 posts
thanks soozie... i found that the botany store was pretty friendly last time so might pop in there and ask :)
trudijoy
8375 posts
sweet will ring Mecca once i have my voice back, and try MAC next time i'm over that way (work presentation next week i think)

thanks ladies, ya'll are pretty cool.

how willing would MAC be to give me samples of a few so I can compare, I wonder?
astylecollector
204 posts
I've been loving the Maybelline matte +poreless foundation. I have combination to oily skin and it works on me and gives me medium to full coverage depending on how much I apply. I currently prefer it over my Estee Lauder double wear which is another full coverage foundation I love and swear by only because it's a cheaper alternative for me. I save the EL double wear for special ocassions now.
trudijoy
8375 posts
that ones been on my radar astylecollector, will have to check it out at some stage! I read a couple reviews raving about it and a couple that said it made their skin oily... hmmmmm still keen haha. Better Skin loved being on my face yet I'd heard similar about that one, so maybe!
MissQT
1547 posts
hey Trudi, I have combo oily skin too and get the occasional break out. High coverage foundations I like are: Revlon colourstay and maybelline fit me (just the normal one I haven't tried the matte and pore less one). They are both matte and last all day. I always set it with powder too. I've also heard great things about the rimmel 25 hour foundation and that's on my list to try next. I'm also keen to try the loreal 24 hour foundation. I haven't really tried any high end foundations.
trudijoy
8375 posts
ah, awesome MissQT, thanks hon x
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I have oily skin and prefer a matte foundation with medium to full coverage, as I have blotchy pigmentation marks that need to be hidden.

I enjoyed using Revlon Colorstay foundation for Combination/Oily skin and now I'm using Rimmel 25 Hour foundation and loving it!  The Rimmel one has a nice feel, lasting matte finish and still looks good after a few hours.
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
I have dry skin but I really like the KVD tattoo foundation when my skin is healthy (I definitely can't wear it when I'm dry). It's really matte and full coverage, I think it would be awesome for oily skin so that might be something you want to check out?
trudijoy
8375 posts
acttually i've heard good things abotu the Kat von D foundtion (and love everything else of hers i've ever seen)  - and now we can get that on Sephora NZ, which is great - but my question would be about colour matching i guess.  I've got a Findation list a mile long but not sure if that would be on there?
trudijoy
8375 posts
thanks silvene, i'm pretty sure i've used colourstay in the past but before i was really into makeup :) that rimmel one seems to be getting a lot of votes!
astylecollector
204 posts
I guess it really depends on your skin and you won't know until you try Trudi. So far, the matte +poreless have worked well on me and if I set it with powder, I don't get too oily. It has been my top foundation last year and I got it from the big bucket deals so it was even cheaper. 

I haven't tried Better Skin but I've been wanting to as well. At the moment I have enough foundations to last me though. I've also loved Bourjois healthy mix serum but it's not really full coverage.
Macs
5351 posts
Im using Maybelline Matte and Poreless. For me it was medium coverage. I definitely want something fuller. Will be watching for suggestions.
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Trudijoy the Kat von D lock it tattoo foundation is on Findation - I put in my shade for Maybelline Better Skin (Nude 021) and got Light 46 for the Kat von D. If you put in more that match you when you search its more accurate too.
severest
44 posts
Nars Sheer Glow and Mac prolongwear are my faves for a more full coverage look and I have combination skin!
trudijoy
8375 posts
awesome, ta pifithrin x
Pifithrin
1243 posts
No worries - hope you can find a good one!
-Bex-
611 posts
Rovie!! I have used SO many in the last year MAC, Clarins, lancome, Maybelline, Revlon, Natio, Loreal that's just off the top of my head and Rovie is the best perfect coverage doesn't cake and doesn't move 
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I've just started using the too faced Born this way foundation and I love it! Such good coverage. Admittedly I have had one break out since wearing it. However I've gone from wearing foundation barley ever too wearing it lots lol
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I picked up some Ready, Set, Gorgeous a few weeks ago and I freaken love it!  It was 50% off at the warehouse so ended up being $10!  It has great coverage, doesn't cake and it lasts. Says it's great for oily skin.
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
Ahh that's a good point about colour matching - you could definitely try findation, I matched myself in store so I don't know if it is on there sorry!
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Ooo yes, I have heard good things about the Covergirl Ready, Set, Gorgeous and Rimmel 25 hour! 

I love the Maybelline Matte & Poreless but it's not really what I would call full coverage, it's more medium.

That Kat Von D one covers anything and must be great for oily skin because it's not the friendliest when it comes to dry skin. I don't really see much difference between that and MAC Studio Fix Fluid tbh. Both full coverage and long lasting.
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
I've said it before, and I'll day it again. RoVie. The mineral powder is perfect for me especially in summer. The liquid is perfection in winter when my skin is drier. Or together is heaven as well.

Neither effect my sensitive skin. Neither has caused eczema and they both last all day
chloednz
217 posts
Another vote for RoVie here, nothing else gives me that high coverage perfected look, even over blemishes. I do like a good spritz of finishing spray at the end so its not super matte though. Nars sheer glow is a good medium coverage liquid foundation, and designer brands longwear foundation is close to full coverage and is a great budget option IMO
Lutece
1849 posts
Good luck with your foundation hunt Trudi :)

I am all for Estee doublewear, they do samples too, I have family and friends that have skin types that range from normal to oily skin that also love Doublewear, a cheaper alternative is  NYX mineral stick foundation, its a full coverage foundation in a stick form

Wishing you luck babe xxx
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I'm using the Rimmel 25 hour foundation currently and I've found it pretty good, but I too would quite like to try a different foundation. But for a cheap foundation I've been happy with the coverage the Rimmel one provides.
shazatron101
5112 posts
Did you end up ordering any from Mecca, Trudi?
trudijoy
8375 posts
nope Shaz I'm not totally out yet, and with being called back to Dunedin for a week I've been flat out. I'm quite intrigues by the Sephora own-brand and Kat Von D ones, but samples will def be happening when I get around to it. I figure because I live like 15 mins from Mecca Cosmetica it makes sense to go in and then they can see my skin, too.
shazatron101
5112 posts
Oooh if you do get KVD let me know what you think of it! I've been tempted but I think it might be too heavy duty for me ;-) It took me a while to realize Mecca was also a physical store hahaha ahhh derpy derp 
trudijoy
8375 posts
realistically the KVD will probably wait until I'm in Sydney again this year and can play with it a little... so tempting tho
shazatron101
5112 posts
Haha well at least in Sydney you can go in store and you get to try the foundation before you buy it! Now they just need to make Sephora a proper store here! And stock Too Faced. Oh, and a Lush Kitchen would be nice too. Saves me lots of $$ bahaha
trudijoy
8375 posts
heeeeeeeeck yes to Too Faced coming here, I can't understand why they haven't! UD as well - I know you can get a few things in the Japanese shops in Albany/Botany but it's not the full range and it's soooo expensive.

I have heard from about three different sources that Sephora is slated to open at Sylvia Park along with a few other stores... H&M are confirmed and so fingers x'd for Sephora!

I'd love a Victoria's Secret shop outside of the airport (obvs not for foundation!) and if Priceline come here that would be epic!
trudijoy
8375 posts
^^ oops, double!

I'm crossing my fingers HARD that when Mecca Maxima opens in Chch it will ship to the rest of the country, and bring in Too Faced, UD and other delicious goodies
alyshajayne
92 posts
Loreal Infalliable Pro-Matte! I have only sampled it but I have sensitive skin so I've done half my face three times now! I love it!! I am just waiting for Farmers to do a 2 for 1 special on Loreal so I can grab the primer with it!! 

I found it had great coverage, stayed matte and wasn't drying. I also think it had a 'velvet' style finish rather than cakey matte :) 
shazatron101
5112 posts
I would love Too Faced here!! I wonder how much more expensive it'd be? I wouldn't think TOO much seeing a lot of its in NZD anyway.. But still ;-) 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Well Sephora, for example, is pretty much the same price as the Aussie shops. The Benefit products on Sephora online are actually cheaper than in Smith & Caughey's - crazy that mail order from Singapore is cheaper than a shop that's 10-15 mins up the road!

I think the days of NZ being Australia's poorer, younger cousins from the wopwops are on the way out, finally!

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!