Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Eczema/dermatitis sufferers

16 posts, 14 members
RachE14
82 posts
I suffer from eczma both on my body and my face, I have tried all the different creams prescribed from the doctors, but nothing nas cleared it up. Has anyone had any success with natural based products?
lenarose
313 posts
Have you tried eliminating any differnt foods? Dairy is something which very commonly gives people eczema. I use an oatmeal cream that is soothing on my eczema but doesn't really treat it per se.
sunelizabeth
410 posts
Yep if you want to get rid of eczema you have to get to the bottom of the cause, & not just rely on products! Food allergies are a common cause :)
RachelM
345 posts
I don't suffer from eczema but I have heard that food elimination can help, especially diary products.  When my son was small he sufflered slight eczema and I eliminated cheese and pastry and that really helped his skin.  Have you read the reviews on Triology Everything balm might be worth giving it a go.  I have a friend who takes baths with Aveeno Soothing bath treatment which is 100% natural colloidal oatmeal.  xxx
tanitaandtia
144 posts
I have cut out  most dairy and white flours due to other health problems and i have a lot less eczema, I haven't found any products that work for eczema though Locoid eases the pain of it and settles it down but i've only found it to be a temporary fix :(
deneemac
19 posts
As a long term "sufferer" of eczema & dermatitis, I would have to agree that you have to look for what is causing the problem. In my case it can be a combination of food & stress.
My eczema is now only on my hands & face, but as a child I had it on my legs & arms.
Over the years I have tried a variety of products to help calm the eczema, I use Locoid or DermAid if I have a severe reaction but as these are topical corticosteroids I don't use long term as it has been advised that continuous use should be avoided where possible.
In summer when the itching on my hands becomes almost unbearble I soak my hands in a basin of diluted coal tar solution. Ahh the relief, but oh the smell!!
I am trying a product called Hope's Relief which is cortisone free & I have found this product to be good as a daily relief cream. It uses ingredients; calendula, manuka honey, aloe vera, gotu kola & licorice root which has been stated to be a natural alternative to cortisone.
You can buy this product at Pharmacies or Health Stores.

All the best with your search.
mugglemum
12 posts
I have had success getting rid of my eczema/dermatitis by eliminating sugar as much as possible and it only flares up now if I have too much.  I know I'm getting close because I get itchy ears -weird but when it happens I know to back right off anything sweet and chocolate in particular (food sensitivity of the worst kind, I almost cried when the tester said allergic reaction to chocolate).  I can get away with one square of the good stuff once a week or so but if I have more then back it comes and I'm an itchy scratching mess.  First place to start is losing sugar from tea and coffee, after about 10 days you don't even notice it, in fact to me it now tastes like chemicals when I accidently get hubbies tea.  Something to think about.  
Kaiarahi
160 posts
Perhaps request a RAST test + Scratch test via your GP – I had them done a couple of years ago.

For some, there is no cure! Myself included :( - The biggest thing with eczema is maintenance – its easy to get lax on the routine! (I speak from experience!). When mine is particularly bad I use QV Oil in the bath + emulsifying wax as a soap sub. Then smothered in HealthE cream (previously Lemnis fatty) + some super strong steroid cream, can’t remember what its called.

Also, if your eczema is red/raw try ½ cup of bleach in your bath – kills staph/bacteria which can worsen eczema symtoms. 
xjayloux
900 posts
For me, nu skin is the only thing that has helped basically heal and maintain my skin.. Also a change in diet has helped too.
RachE14
82 posts
Sadley it's stress and dust that seems to make my eczema flare up, as I've tried eliminating certain foods, I have recently started using dermalab cleanser and moisturiser, it's wonderful def reccomend  for sensitive skin and gentle enough to use on facial eczema too, also tried hopes relief cream, that also was effective for me, but quite expensive.
deville
42 posts
My kids both suffer from eczema as did hubby and I as kids and I have tried all of the chemical cremes to no avail.  But now I use a skin oil blend made from
Gillian at www.leesscience.co.nz/[color=#666666]? 
She is amazing, posts all over the country. My son has had his fingers covered in eczema for months on
end and nothing worked except for the special blend that was made for him - now his fingers have been clear
every since.  My daughter has it all over her legs and arm creases which we have just started to treat with
the blend - but I have my suspicions that sugar or wheat is the underlying cause for her.  Good luck with finding
something that works.[/color]
KnotJustAScarf
43 posts
I've had eczema since I was a kid and back then the GP prescribed me some stuff called Pinetarsol to bathe in? That helped and as I grew older I don't need to use it everyday, just once a month or so now. It really helps relieve the itching. I also find drinking more water, avoiding problematic foods (prawns for me, I know it's weird, haha) and aloe vera juice (the actual stuff, not some diluted bottled concoction they sell). I'm definitely getting better with age though. Had a friend that just moved to Melbourne and her eczema mysteriously disappeared? So may be something to do with NZ climate as well.
RachE14
82 posts
I used piñata reel as akid maybe worth another try. Yea I have recently been hearing Heaps of really good things about the benefits of aloe juice, where do you get the pure stuff from?
rachael9501
11 posts
Hi there! I don't have either but i do have psoriasis and my mum has the eczema/dermatitis so i feel your pain. I agree it is about getting to the bottom of the problem but also getting to the bottom of the problem can take sometime so there does need to be something to help soothe the discomfort and pain of the skin problem. Everyone is very different so its great to get alot of suggestions. What worked for me the most (and believe me i am 25 now and have just got it cleared and i first had it when i was 10, i have tried everything under the sun) is hemp cream. One in particular was a hemp face cream from the body shop. We don't have the body shop here in Invercargill so i rang the Dunedin store and they were kind enough to send me a sample of it to try first. From the instant i apply it, it was like heaven. So smooth and instantly nourishing. I straight away phoned up and ordered some and while it was a small tub it lasted for aggggges. I always apply it with a spatula or cotton tip, never double dipping and use clean washed hands to rub it in, that is key. Good luck with your search of getting any relief from it!
Kellyleanne
551 posts
I'm also a fellow sufferer- just wondered for those that have had allergy tests / RAST tests done did it show up any allergies to foods? I'm just debating whether its worth going to see an allergist for this. 
quackers
2 posts
My daughter suffers from eczema too and for her it's the heat that flares it up.We have found a product called 'pot of gold' to be very helpful in clearing it up.The great thing with it is it's a natural product and doesn't sting  to put on :)

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!