Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Ear candling (LOL) Anyone tried it/ does it work?

22 posts, 17 members
Marcel
335 posts
Hey babes, There's a NZ shopping site that I check often for sweet deals (I won't mention it as it recently came to my attention the BR do not approve of parallel importing which this site does), I saw there today you can get these organic ear candles that are supposed to improve general health & well-being. You're supposed to lie on your side with the candle burning standing upright (holding it) in your ear, to me this sounds so dodgy! (Not to mention awkward & ridiculous looking, imagine doing this and the other half walking into the room bwahahaha that's one way to burn the house down) So I wonder if people actually do this? The results would have to be pretty damn incredible to bother I would think?!?
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
I was watching a programme about ears. I'm positive it was the embarrassing bodies, Aussie version. They talked about these candles, the doctor said they are rubbish and threw it down. I have seen a few doctors say the same thing. I've always been interested.

He said don't use cotton bids as you push the gunk in the ear and can cause a lot of problems that he listed., then he said about using oil! I was like what the?! I'm sure (please don't quote me) he said a good olive oil. It's natural and has antibacterial properties.
I TOTALLY WOULDNT RECOMEND DOING THIS without getting proper advise.
what I'm saying is I haven't heard anything good about the candles. I have bad internet here in the country, maybe google the embarrassing bodies ear segment. Then you can the clip. Hopefully I haven't muddled it up.
Marcel
335 posts
Oh man farmers-wife you just made me hear my mums & dads voices echoing 'stop sticking those bloody cotton tips in your ears!!' I do it every time i get out the shower BUT i'm very careful to swirl it around gently to pick up moisture and wax, i don't just ram it into my ear- drum! I was shocked about a year ago my son was about one year old I took him to see a doctor to get his ears cleaned I was concerned there was massive build up of wax, the doctor simply took one of these cotton tips and swabbed away!
tannygirl
3392 posts
Actually the olive oil think is a nuisance to put in your ears, a few drops take forever to soak and then you have to do the other side. Anyways I've had my ears suctioned at the doctors a few times and it's recommended to that nightly a few days before you get your ears suctioned. As it softens the wax and so then don't need to use high suction making it easier on your eardrums.
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
LOL I use cotton buds every now and then. Sounds like the same "technique"

Im also old enough to me a lot of the ladies on here mum ;)

Pleased I wasn't dreaming about the oil. Still, must feel weird!
chikoboo
3402 posts
Yep I've done ear candles, got a couple in the first aid box still as they are good....weird but good.   You lie on your side pop the correct end of the candle in your ear slight just enough that you don't damage your ear and then get someone to light it, I almost fell asleep last time as I found it relaxing, you hear this slight crackling as the wax is being heated up inside your ear but it reminds me of an open fire cracking so its soothing, then once burnt down you take out and wax oozes out of your ear.    I've also used warmed up olive oil in the ear, which works good too, as does just a plain old hot water bottle wrapped in a tea towel that you lie with your blocked ear on, its all about warmng the wax in your ear to make it flow out. 
isemonger
224 posts
Ooooo I have always been keen to know if these are any good.

I have heard they are good for surfers/swimmers/people who get water in their ear for no reason  -who get a lot of water in the ear, it dries them out.

But I have not tried them myself. I too have heard the rule about the cotton buds..... Sigh but I am naughty and have used them. I try not to use them much now though! One of my friends swears my using a bobby pin end to scoop out the wax.... but personally I wouldn't do this!!

Keen to see if more people have used the candles and if they work :)
Mila
1209 posts
I have never tried this myself I couldnt bear the thought of putting a candle in my ear lol

But my sister tried it a few years ago and she said it was really relaxing at hte time and she said it made her feel great after :)
brushandbullet
395 posts
Ear candling is hokum, to put it bluntly! There's no evidence that they do anything to get rid of ear wax. I know of people who find them relaxing (like chikoboo mentions above), and if that works for you then great, but I know of at least two of my friends now who temporarily lost their hearing after getting this done.

I grew up using ear picks like this. They're really good! But yeah, putting anything inside your ear is probably discouraged. Oh well.
Iloveperfumes
132 posts
I have had my ears candled  - it was good for relieving the pressure in my sinuses which I suffer from constantly but didn't doo much for my ears, the wax that is claimed to come out is the wax that has burned down from the candle - so I'm not entirely convinced. But yes it did feel soothing at the time.

Also I had a doctor recommend olive oil for my ear - I have a problem with one of my ears which gets dermititis and gets upset easily from water getting in there when washing my hair - apparently I have strange shaped ear canals and the water get's trapped in there. Problem is the oil mixed with the water and trapped it in there and I ended up with a terrible ear infection which took ages to go away. So I would advise not putting anything in your ears unless prescribed. I am terrible with cotton buds though everytime I wash my hair  I have them out to get the water out - but I say use with caution and obviously use common sense :)
kirstysays
762 posts
I have always wondered about these too, but, they have always been too pricy to try out.  I'm naughty and se cotton buds its the quickiest and easiest way and totally safe if you are careful I think.  
Macs
5351 posts
Ive seen the ear candling being done. Ive never done it myself. It makes me wonder how it all comes out . Im naughty and I use cotton buds. 
Bluebirdme
18 posts
I have seen this done on the net.
i dont think i would give it a go ! 
i am naughty too and use cotton buds but i dont do it every day cos i know its bad to do it.  
cushlaH5
178 posts
this thread reminds me of that scene in shrek when he pulls his ear wax out and uses it as a candle. hahaha im so mature :P
Jacinda
13 posts
I've tried ear candles several times.  Mainly to help unblock my ears.  Other than being mildly therapeutic I found them ineffective .  They do lift out some wax but I'm sure there are ways that work better.   I've actually heard that getting your ears syringed with water is brilliant. I won't be buying any more ear candles.
tmgiles
6 posts
I've tried ear candling once when I had supppper blocked ears. I found that it did remove some ear wax (Keyword being some) but all in all it did little remove the majority of it. It's just as easy for me to pop down to the hearing clinic and have them suction it all out or if you'd rather not pay to have that done then they suggested using room temperature olive oil to help soften and remove the wax.
Kia
550 posts
Im positive I had this done to me when I was a kid and had blocked ears from too much wax build up. I'm also positive that it worked
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
I've been thinking about this a lot today after I got water in my ear. How on earth do you get the oil out if you put oil in your ear? Wouldn't it feel worse than water?
chikoboo
3402 posts
Ong the oil in the ear works fab, it doesn't feel like water at all as you have to have the oil warmed first (I do this by running a spoon under a really hot tap then pouring the oil into the spoon give it a few seconds then pour in, well hubby pours in whilst I lie down ready) its like pouring a blanket of warm liquid into ear, you then place a cotton ball over the ear entrance don't push it in, its there just to absorb any leakage then lie on the other ear.  Its rather relaxing, you know that sensation when your in the bath and its so warm you just slip your head under so your ears are under too and you get that muffled warm feeling its like that.   Then after about 10 minutes, or sooner you'll hear the oil glugging, sit up holding the cotton ball as all the oil will seep out taking the wax with it.  Then everything in the world sounds like its on full blast.  My mum has done this to my ears before since I was little, its what she does to hers, what my grandmother did to her and so on and so on.... no one has ever had ear problems. 
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Oh that actually sounds really nice! I'm 
going to give it ago!
Lutece
1849 posts
I helped hubby do his ears with the ear candles and afterwards we cut them open and wow there was alot that had been sucked out, now I want to give it a go :)
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
I watched most embarrassing bodies the other night and ear wax was the subject eeeek and they did say no to sticking anything in and that the candle wax does nothing. I haven't tried it and won't only because I've seen it done hmmmm not to sure if that helps but might be worth having a look at the program. Tv nz on demand 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!