Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Dumpster diving

26 posts, 22 members
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
So there are people who have been making a good income out of selling products which have been retrieved from the dumpster or NZ word Rubbish Bins the big waste care looking ones made out of metal aluminum and are at the rear of big stores etc. I have even seen a YouTube channel dedicated to their diving products & there are Facebook group pages specifically for the sales of dumpster diving products. I joined a group myself to just see how it works and there's like 2k members in the group. My friend and I decided this was ludicrus people making money from products that aren't good enough to sell in store. Also someone hade made $2000 in 3 months of sales. What's worse in the fb group the prices are the same if not more as bnib in store.
What's your ladies opinions about this dumpster diving
shazatron101
5112 posts
I think it would be okay if they were keeping the things for themselves, but they're not. Do the people buying know it comes from a dumpster? It's definitely not my thing so I won't be trying it any time soon haha :P
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Obviously members if the fb group know that they're from the bin. I'm not too sure on other sales or buyers being aware. It's not my preference I mean the consequences are grave and there's also the moral and ethical values behind the sales. I Mena each to their own if they choose to do it and keep them but selling them. No way. If they weren't good enough to sell in store why sell them yourself.
kirstyj
1732 posts
I hate that they are making a profit off peoples rubbish.

If it was food that could be eaten by those in need I would understand... but when it is just to make a profit I hate it.

Also note that this is illegal (the dumpster diving), as the person whose stuff it is intends the stuff to go to the rubbish tip, not to you.
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
Errrk, I remember watching videos on this a few months ago. It is seriously gross and dangerous. Some of them were literally getting into the bin to retrieve rubbish bags, and could cut themselves on anything. Not to mention the health hazards of applying makeup that has come from a rubbish bin, after being returned to the store for who knows what reason. It is their personal choice to do that themselves, but some of them are selling these products on eBay and other sites without telling buyers where they obtained the products. For those of you who haven't heard of dumpster diving - you are going to have an interesting evening on Youtube - just make sure you aren't sipping on a cup of tea! 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
To be honest I think its wrong.  If its not good enough for a store to sell it then it shouldn't be good enough for someone to dive in there and sell it, even worse that they are selling it at prices close to what they retail for.  I just don't understand why people would want to use something that was in a bin.  I mean would you take out food from a bin and then eat it? No, so then why would you buy something from a stranger that has pulled something out of a dumpster, charged you for it and then put it on your face and body? Each to their own I guess xxx
-Bex-
611 posts
Gerrrrrrrmmmms!!! Why would one want to go through ones rubbish. Yuckies. One mans trash is another mans treasure I guess but think it's wrong to sell it
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Because I'm too lazy to learn how to do tidy links I can't guide you to the videos and group page just out of awareness. I actually couldn't scroll thru the while group or watch the entire video.
Anyhow I can't fathom how this is going on this I brought on here although it may not be happening here in NZ it's in the rise in the USA also a girl was recently admitted to hospital in the US because of her reaction to expired makeup
MareeB
5244 posts
Wow that is gross! and dangerous! I've seen the Police arresting people for raiding charity bins too - seriously, how low can some people go, stealing from people who already have nothing? I don't know what happened to NZ, we used to be a proud nation..
Macs
5351 posts
Oh I couldn't help but you tube it lol I didn't even have any idea that this was happening.
MareeB
5244 posts
sorry, off-topic there a bit.

Ksjc_nz
370 posts
Wow, I had no idea that was even a thing. I know people who are Freegans - as in they dumpster dive for their food, but (whether legal or not) they're not selling their findings to unknowing customers. Blerk.
MissQT
1547 posts
yeah I've heard of this happening in America. People do it with food too (more like packaged items that are unopened and past the expiry date etc). But I've not heard of it happening here in NZ.
Rezee
1964 posts
I think dumpster diving is gross anyway but then to go on and sell those products?  Im pretty sure the government is cracking down on fb pages so I imagine they will get caught eventuality.  I highly doubt they are paying tax!
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Personally, i think dumpster diving is a bit gross, and dangerous! Who knows what could be in there. As for the facebook page, well atleast everyone on there knows where these products have come from, which is better than most. As for me, ill be staying far away from that page
chloednz
217 posts
Whaaat?! I never realised that people were actually profiting from this! A friend of a friend is into dumpster diving but does it for himself he is certainly not onselling the things he finds. I think it is a good thing (if you can get past the ick factor) to not be wasteful but another thing entirely to be onselling what you find, as you have the potential to do a lot of harm to others in more ways that one. Some people are unbelievable!
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Wow! I'm so suprised to learn dumpster diving is a thing, pretty gross really and sad to see people making a profit off items they find in a dumpster!
chikoboo
3402 posts
It's a horrible thing but people will do it, been like that for years in the UK especially when the local dump sites were open to all public, people would go through the trash piles.  In recent years the councils turned them into a controlled site where the public could only get access to a drop off area and from that point only staff would manage the waste to stop people from taking things.  It got better from when they added recycle units too.  
AmandaJane
1147 posts
I remember that Chikoboo, massive dump sites people could just jump over the enclosure and take what they wanted. In some ways that's recycling I think but yeah, selling it is another thing entirely.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Yuck. Now I'm ok with the freegan dumpster diving if that's how they want to live. But selling the stuff is just wrong because usually it's in the dumpster for a reason. 
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
Whilst it isn't for me, I think Freegan dumpster diving is kind of cool. We waste so much food it's scary - especially when you think about how many people across the globe are starving. Dumpster diving for cosmetics and on selling them is really wrong in my mind. There was a girl on YouTube who uploaded heaps of hauls of makeup she got from the dumpster and she would brag that she sold the stuff. That's so wrong to me. Whilst I would be open to the Freegan side of dumpster diving there is no way I would use cosmetics from there, let alone sell anything like that. That reminds me of another girl I saw on YouTube ages ago who would steal makeup and perfume and "haul" it. I don't know if she sold it but that's really wrong. 
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
I've come across some cool finds whilst at the dump not that I kept them they just looked cool, back home In Hawkes Bay they do have a sale part of the dump where they have salvaged use able pre loved items. But then that money goes to the council so I kind of don't mind. As for diving specifically to get makeup and then going on to selling it no way I don't like it. Or even food I think that stores chucking food if still consumable should feeding the need. I mean food within expiration dates not opened or spoiled. It shouldn't make it to the dumpster and should be given to local food banks or the like. I know some store already do this. I couldn't fathom eating or using something from the bin. When we use to have in organics I would arrange still use able goods to the side so people wouldn't have to go thru my rubbish 1 they don't clean it up 2 why would you want to go thru rubbish.
I personally have no prob with it. not something I do myself. good on them for making a buck or two
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
When I was growing up, a couple of neighbours kids would go to the dump every Friday night to see what they could find. It was their special treat lol. That sounds like I grew up in the ghetto with Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids (really showing my age now)

Porirua had an amazing shop at the dump called Trash Palace, where you could donate your goods. The profits went to the council and they also employed people with mental health problems as part of their rehabilitation. Sadly it closed down in April but hopefully it will be back soon. 

I think part of the Freegan movement is a protest against waste and consumerism. So yes, I definitely think on-selling is wrong. If you want to dumpster dive to provide for yourself, then fine. Not cool to make a profit out of unsuspecting others. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
so much no.  no no no.  If you're inclined to go in yourself, for yourself, more power to you, but selling it on isn't okay at all.

It's not something I'd ever consider, either way.  If somethings been thrown out that doesn't necessarily mean it's digusting when it goes in to the bin, but as soon as it's in there it becomes gross
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I have issues buying used makeup so this is really not for me but I know of this in the UK and the US. Someone did an article for a paper and they were freegan's in Whangarei, diving at one of the supermarkets and they said you need 4 people, 1 in the bin, 2 outside the bin taking the stuff to the car and 1 to keep watch.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!