Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Does Controversy put you off a makeup product/brand?

23 posts, 16 members
Rezee
1964 posts
I was thinking about this last night. A palette that I was really wanting, was the Becca and Jaclyn Hill champagne pop set. I saw yesterday that they are recalling the eyshadows in this range as they are not properly made etc. Nothing has been said about the face palette but I saw that people are saying it's made different to the orginal. Seeing that has really put me off, not Becca as a brand I guess because their highlighters are incredible but definitely that set. ?Then there is the Jefree star thing with his broken highlighters and him blocking everyone on social media. That has really put me off too. Same with Lime Crime, after all that went down, no way could I ever happily purchase their products. Does anyone else feel like this about brands? Or just me. I'm just curious I guess!
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
The Becca situation puts me off supporting Jaclyn Hill more so than Becca tbh as the target audience for that collection was her "fans", not your standard Becca customers.

She claims she knew nothing about it but I personally don't buy it lol but yeah the JS thing has put me off supporting him also. And the Kylie lip kits with the whole brush situation, but I was never going to support a Kardashian anyway. Sorry to any fans out there!

There's so many awesome brands out there that are much more deserving!
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Yes absolutely. Great thread - I hope we are not breaking forum rules though.

I avoid LimeCrime for shady business practices.
Macs
5351 posts
Nah I've never listened to any controversy behind products. I like to decide for myself whether I like a product or not. 
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I watched Jaclyn hills snapchat yesterday with her explaining the situation. She's such a genuine person and what she does is her life her passion, because the formula wasn't the same she's asked it be pulled. I my self wouldn't stop supporting her and her champagne pop/glow collection.
I think everyone feeds on the negativity. I didn't see the anything about the face palette just the eyeshadow one.

Jeffree star much the same. I think he genuinely didn't know a palette of his product was dropped. With such a huge popular brand that's well known for the formula and quality I think it was a mistake. Me I'll continue to support both of these brands :)

If it was something shady yes I would definitely second guess them.
Pifithrin
1243 posts
There is plenty of documented shady behaviour from Jeffree Star out there too.

For me it's not a matter of trying a product and making up my mind. It's a matter of principle and I don't want to spend my money on brands whose actions I disagree with.
shazatron101
5112 posts
I'm with Sarah about ol Jaclyn. I haven't and probably won't ever buy into her over hyped products simply because I wouldn't wear it. She's blaming Becca yet singing their praises at the same time (lol make up your mind) and she also deleted her video about the palette, as well as comments about Morphe stuff being made in China lol. So. To me that is a shady business act, but thats my opinion from what I've gathered online, and I respect everyone elses opinion whether you love or hate her! 

I also hope this thread doens't get deleted Pifithrin haha I do like a thread like this, and I am with you about Lime Crime too. I own one but not of my own money!
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I guess in the end it is controversy. And everyone will have their own opinion made up from what they have heard or read. Myself if the makeup is crap and it's no good then no I won't buy it. But there would need to be hard evidence or I just see it as hair say :)
Each to their own though x
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
I've not heard any of this controversy about Becca or JS's products but I'll admit I'm not a Jaclyn fan whatsoever and wouldn't purchase anything she shills just because - and this is solely my opinion, she comes across to me as disingenuous. I'm super careful about reading into the hype of products when they're super popular on YT but that is because I'm a sceptic and don't trust anyone on YT except for maybe 2 people. 

It seems to me that a lot of youtubers have become Internet 'celebrities' and with that people sometimes blindly follow every recommendation that they say. I think maybe people need to think 'why is this person recommending this to me? Was it sent to them? Will this product have a place in my collection?' And also read or watch other people's reviews on said product. 

Im not trying to be nasty, I just think being an informed and sceptical consumer is a good thing as it saves you money and prevents you from buying into the hype. This isn't a dog at anyone on here at all, or anyone specific on YouTube, just a general musing. 
Pifithrin
1243 posts
jessickaxnz I totally agree about YT. I trust very very few people. Same goes for blogs. I just don't believe that there is no bias when you are getting something for free.

Great discussion here ladies.
tannygirl
3392 posts
  Yeah I totally agree with Jessicka about You Tube. I don't follow anyone for that reason although I do look products for swatches on You Tube and Wayne Goss has some great tutorials. I really had a good chuckle about his video on non-touring as he described the new trend so well.
   As far as products go, I buy what works for me and what I am going to use. I don't buy based on how pretty it looks in the pan or because it's so popular among a celebrities fans. I wasn't aware of the Becca and Jacyln Hill situation but I probably wouldn't have bought it because I like more matte eyeshadows and I don't actually use a lot of highlighter so wasn't really looking to buy another highlighter. 
   I don't like what happened with Lime Crime and it's put me off purchasing more lippies but I did buy Wicked because I had my eye on it for so long, I just waited till my credit card was about to expire to do so. I do have Jeffree Star Lippies as well and they are nice too. As far the Kylie Kits I never considered buying them and I never will. Some of the shades are pretty and if I liked the color I would rather buy a dupe since I think I think the dupe would be better quality and cheaper as well.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Hmm, its an interesting question. When you do hear bad things about a product it does make you more hesitant about buying it definitely. But ultimately if it is something I want I'll buy it anyway. I do believe that people need to try or verify something for themselves rather than just make a decision based on controversy or public opinion generally. But with some of these make up products they're expensive, so I'd probably not buy them if I knew there was a controversy around them, unless I did really want to try it. It's a shame that great brands do silly things that get them in hot water.
charly
456 posts
Really good question... I guess I definitely try to remember that spending my money is a vote with my wallet, so I try to support brands I believe in, like RoVie and Ethique.  But then sometimes I'll buy something just because it is beautiful or an 'it' product (my Too Faced palletes were bought 100% because they are so darn cute!!).  But I guess if I hear bad stuff about a company there are so many other options I'll go and change my mind about wanting their stuff.  There are so many places to spend my money, there's no need to give it to a brand I'm unhappy with!

Btw... what happened with Lime Crime?
idomakeupnz
150 posts
There's controversy surrounding so many brands these days and I definitely think we have social media and so-called beauty gurus to blame for that. 
Brands, particularly ones that rely on social media to make sales, seem to be the worst. I'm not sure why, maybe because of the fame getting to their heads, having to deal with huge influxes of customers because of these big YouTuber's shilling their products. 
There are a number of companies I will never purchase from for multiple reasons, I just think everyone should do their own research on the products they're buying and the people they're supporting (including "gurus").
Kimrose
1419 posts
It is tough out there, trying to sell products.  Consumers are so much more savvy these days and YT is a huge help. I like tutorials where they dont actually try to sell a product, rather show you how tomuse a particular product. Every body has their favourites for wharever reason, but I think we all hope for cruelty free and genuine producers.
Rezee
1964 posts
It's interesting reading all of your replies.  ?A couple of years ago, I would blindly follow some of these youtubers advice and not really think about whether or not they are just being paid to sell. Now, I look at yt as pretty much giant ads. I don't generally take on board what bigger youtubers say. This palette though, was by becca and I really want the Champagne pop shade. It makes me sad that they knowingly compromised on the quality as they knew it would sell just by the name attached.It really does make you think though, as consumers, we really talk with where we put our money. We should be putting it places where we 100% support and agree with their ethics.
Pifithrin
1243 posts
In case some of you have not seen it yet there is a great thread on this same topic over on the Australian/NZ makeup reddit
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
Yes it does make me think twice about purchasing from a brand - Lime crime is one that I was excited to try before all of her dramas started, but there were just too many facets to her deception of people and the way she treats people that I wouldn't touch lime crime now.
Jeffree star I know has controversy surrounding him simply because of how abrasive he can be - I think he's settled down a lot since he's gone into makeup production, and I think the drama with the king tut highlighters was genuinely a mistake he didn't know about (living with a truck driver I fully believe that the driver there would have dropped a pallette and not told anyone!)

I agree about YT as well, I tried JS lipsticks because of a video I saw, and I got lucky with that, but I treat them like big ads now too, so many of them I just don't find very sincere and don't really trust them to be talking honestly about the products anymore unfortunately, which is a shame because it could be such an amazing way to get actual good recommendations if it were done properly.
This is why I was put off Lime Crime. Their controvery goes back around 10 years, way back to when LiveJournal was popular actually so it's definitely not a recent thing.
trudijoy
8375 posts
to be honest, as far as i'm concerned there are always at least two sides to every story. I take a lot of it with a grain of salt. As far as so called YouTube gurus go, their opinions are just that: opinions. Just like I won't buy a product simply because of celeb endorsement, an internet random proclaiming that something will suit me, not having met me, is not going to fly.

Make your own decisions, that you're happy with - for me, that means products i like using, that suit me, no matter what the internet has to say about it - good or bad
Qweenkaren
313 posts
this is a great thread! For me, it comes back to being an informed shopper, which I think comes with experience/maturity.
true customer service is shown when things go wrong, and I think it is niave of a business not to have a plan in place for when things go awry. Often problems are out of one persons control - palettes breaking could happen for a number of reasons, but how a business fixes the issue tells me more about their ethics.
Many parts of the beauty market are saturated, so finding a point of difference which appeals to people and then sticking to it is the only way (IMO) of staying in business.

Recently there was something about Unilever I saw, which left me with a bad taste in my mouth (I can't remember all the details now to share, but there was a song/youtube clip, I think it was on a chemical which affected their workers). I now avoid their products - with the huge range of alternatives available, that is fairly easy.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I don't think making your own decisions and choosing not to buy into online hype/horror is a sign of immaturity, personally....
Qweenkaren
313 posts
Trudi - that is not what I meant at all. I am sorry you took it that way.
I would actually say that reading the "controversy" is a way of keeping informed. Going into a shop and just buying the first product you see however, would be making an un informed choice.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!