Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Does anyone cut open their empty product bottles to scape out every last bit of product?

49 posts, 46 members
MissQT
1547 posts
I just cut open an empty bottle of body miosturiser to try and scrape out the rest of the contents that the pump couldn't reach. I know it sounds a bit frivolous and savage like haha but I hate wasting things! There was still a good amount left to that would of been thrown out, about 80ml I reckon. Am I the only person who does this?
Lutece
1849 posts
Hahaha you go girl! I don't cut my tubes open because I don't like getting messy but I do squeeze out as much as I can out of empty tubes
janini9
341 posts
All the time. I also pull the top of the pump bottles of expensive serums and moisturisers and get every last bit out of the bottle.
Yes!! I get quite creative to use that last of some products :-)
Kia
550 posts
You just described me in a single thread! I always know that there is a heap of product in there that needs to be scrapped out so I get to it with an xacto knife and cut the bottle in half haha. 
ChristieMJ
358 posts
Yes! If I love the product/it was expensive, no point wasting perfectly good stuff!
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
Ha Ha yep if I like it I'll cut it up o get the last drop out, same as my lippy I'm right down the tube with my lippy brush :)  
Rezee
1964 posts
I used gto cut my lotion bottles open but now I just take the pump out and bang the bottom of it so it comes out. I can generally get most of it out doing this without having to have a half bottle sitting in the bathroom for a few days looking yucky :)
Mrs_rain85
437 posts
YES I so do this! I want my money's worth and sometime's there's alot of product down there In the bottom and In the corner's. lol
Kandace
13 posts
*Yes I do this! All the time :-)
Genna
49 posts
Oh yes so guilty of this! A foundation I use to use was in a plastic tube, I would always cut it open to get the last of it out, it would drive my partner nuts having the cut open tube on the vanity. Now that I use a foundation in a glass bottle I can usually manage to get my brush right down to the bottom or I have been known to use a cue tip, they work great for getting at the hard to reach places!
MrsO
196 posts
Yes, I always cut the end off the plastic tubes of BB cream, moisturiser, foundation, must be the Scottish in me!
kirstysays
762 posts
I often do this. I hate to waste product and there is alot left in some products even after the pump or dispenser stops dispensing.
kayxcake
422 posts
I was just about to ask for some solutions! I've finished a 10ml Hourglass primer and there's still a little bit left which the pump doesn't wanna suck it out lol, I've scape out most of it but the opening is so small. so I don't know what to do? It's a really expensive primer and I don't want to just throw it away. Should I smash the bottle? I think it's made of glass.
chikoboo
3402 posts
Not all the time but if its a pricey product or a limited edition then yes I cut to get the very last drops out of the bottle, I also comment in my reviews if I have had to do this or if every last drop comes out by the material of the bottle as I find this handy =)
Marcel
335 posts
No i don't do this it doesn't really occur to me to do it, a lot of my product tubes& bottles sit on the caps so there isn't much wastage. I can only remember doing it once with a $230 moisturizer nuff said.
Mila
1209 posts
I dont do this all the time but I do do it for my estee lauder foundation I like to get the last drop :)
JamieLynneKirk
157 posts
I do this with everything!!
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Always. There is nothing as satisfying as using the very. last. drop.
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Gosh our house sounds wasteful! No I don't cut things open. I even have to hide the new products from hubby. As soon as he sees them it's opened, stuff what's left behind!
triffid
151 posts
Alaways and I then put a peg or clip on them and pop into a plastic zip lock bag so it doesnt dry out.Its amazing how much is left and as well if you run out of your favourite lippy you will have a few days left in it by using a lip brush to get the last bit.
melly650
375 posts
I don't cut mine either but I do try and squeeze everything out.
george
150 posts
Yes! It's crazy how much product is left over.. I recently did it with my primer and there was a solid two weeks use in there! 
MicheleC
419 posts
You beat me to it! I was going to start the exact same thread! lol! Obviously we are truly like minds. I was cutting open a tube just a day ago and thought to myself I should add this to the forum. I cut open tubes, I pry off caps, I do what I can to get to the last wee bit. Today I put my hair inside the hair serum bottle to get out the last.wee.drops. Crazy but true. So my wee tip is this. Cut the tube in half horizontally, or lower down if necessary. I then use the top half and slide it over the bottom part. The reason I do this is because there is usually more than one days worth of product in the tube even after all the banging on a surface or shaking it down happens! Protecting what is left is the reason why I do this and I don't have to waste it by over use just to finish it up.
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Yes and No. Sometimes i have such a huge stash of products waiting, i wait to finish a product and get onto a new one, so dont mind wasting the last little bit! However, if it is a product i love, i make sure i get every last bit out of it!
Macs
5351 posts
I've never done that before.
cushlaH5
178 posts
ive never even thought to do this lol will have to try it out!
tannygirl
3392 posts
I have been known to saw body lotion bottles in half to get out the last bit of product. Anything plastic pump and has a lotion I'll consider cutting it open, if the bottle's too thick to cut then I'll have it upside down and unscrew the top to get the last bit. Anything liquid like serum I'll shake and store the bottle upside down but since they're glass bottles there's not much I can do beyond that. I hate wasting product, I paid for every ml so I will use as much as I can.
accidentprone_x
845 posts
I personally just put the bottle upside down to get the last little bit out
1139 posts
On a similar note, I have an almost-empty bottle of shampoo in my shower. I have it sitting upside down so I can get the last bit out, but every time I go to use it, someone else has flipped it up the correct way and I can't get the last tiny bit out!! It absolutely drives me crazy haha
MissQT
1547 posts
great mind think alike Mishi! And tannygirl that's exactly what I did! I sawed the bottled in half, scooped out all the remaining contents and transferred it to a smaller container (like an old body butter container).
MissQT
1547 posts
Glad to know I'm not the only one who does this! Kayxcake, are you able to take the pump out and dipping a brush in? I wouldn't advise on breaking the glass, as broken shards may end up mixed into the product and you wouldn't want that on your face!
Sylvia
149 posts
Yep, I balance things precariously on their caps if I can so that I can get as much out as possible, and then usually end up cutting them open to scrape out the last bits. Often there's actually heaps left, especially with moisturisers, etc! So I reckon it's worth doing... at least I think I'm too stingy to stop haha.
Julieal
915 posts
I cut the ends off and use every last bit too. If it is shampoo or conditioner I hold the container under the shower to get water in and usually get an extra shampoo or condition out of the bottles. Sounds mean but I hate waste.
saffybear
4 posts
I just did It this morning haha. 
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
If I have loved using the product I will scrape out every last drop before re-purchasing. There is often two weeks worth of product in the tube that can't be reached without cutting it open. My boyfriend also taught me to put a bit of water in a shampoo bottle when you think it is finished, shake it, and then use. How had I never thought of this?! xx
MicheleC
419 posts
chelseaadelaide and Elena I put a bit of water into the shampoo and shake it up as well. Not too much just a few teaspoons/tablespoons. Although of course I don't measure it. I just hold it under the shower until I can hear it rattling in the bottle. I do this with condition as well. Conditioner bottles are often harder to get into so putting a bit of water is is the best way to get the rest out. I then use it as a rinse - like a leave in conditioner - as long as there isn't too much of it so that it would make my hair go yucky!
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Ha ha ha sometimes especially if its a really expensive product, but if its a product I wasn't really that fussed on, I'll just biff it lol
Chelcntom
2 posts
I do this too!! Hadnt thought to cut open the bottles/tubes though
itskaz_xo
199 posts
Guilty!! :) Haha. I recently cut open my tube of spot treatment (that I can no longer find in store) -insert sad face here- and my bf actually thought it was the funniest thing ever. He thought I had lost my marbles lol.
Iloveperfumes
132 posts
Funny that this has come up as I have just done this. My Skin 79 BB cream which comes in a bulky plastic pump has been running low and I am really annoyed how opaque containers prevent you from seeing how much is left - decided to wing it break it open and scoop it out thinking there would be a small amount left to scoop into a travel jar. The thing was 40ml when purchased I have just broken it open - put the recyclable outer plastic tube out in the recycling and removed the capsule inside with the pump attached - cut it open with kitchen scissors and I couldn't believe how much was inside - I managed to fill a 30ml eye cream jar to the brim with BB cream. Just goes to show that that pump was only going to give me about a 1/4 of the usable product -  pretty scary theres a good 3-4 months use right there, I had already used the pump daily for 3 months so just goes to show it's worth cutting those plastic bottles open!
MareeB
5244 posts
Yep -if it's something I really like (Olay products) or expensive  ( like tubes of progesterone!), otherwise I'm happy to ditch the remainder and buy something new.
Manda129
419 posts
All the time :) I even get a brush into the glass bottles to get it all out too :)
mrskatebaillie
10 posts
I do it too everything! Even use a brush to get foundation out of corners of tube.Cut open hubby's $30 hair product to show him how WHY I cut bottles open all over the house and he was amazed, lasted another 3 weeks. That's money in the bin right there.
Toni-Lee
503 posts
Yes I'm putting my hand up for this one :) I always cut open tubes like my moisturisers, face wash and my pawpaw ointments etc. There is always guarantee that there is enough product to get a few more uses out of it!! I also roll the heck out of the toothpaste and squeeze as much out as I can with the whole lid screwed off. Also when my shampoo, conditioner and even handwash are empty I will add a little bit of water in there and give a good shake around and there you go, you enough for one more round haha :)
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Absolutely, lol. Every time! I think my grandad taught me this trick. I'm currently torn by cutting my Mac BB cream tube in half or saving it for Back to Mac lol. 
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
Depends how much I like it! With my Oasis Beauty Lips and Lashes I do because I love it that much.
kirstyj
1732 posts
I used to do this all the time but now that I am trying to use up more products I have found myself just leaving it (unless it is a super amazing product).
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Heck yeah I do. I need to know Ibe git every but in that package lol. But U haven't done this for a few months lol. My last product I did it on was my Nuxe anti aging night créme

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!