Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Creative panning...

45 posts, 23 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
So for those of us looking to use product up, has anyone come up with creative ways of making sure this happens?

I have started doing the following:

- using shower gels that I'm over or have extras of as hand wash

- reapplying makeup after the gym (and having a separate gym makeup kit) so that there are two applications of makeup going on a few times a week.

- putting lotion bottles and lip balms everywhere. bathroom, lounge, kitchen, bathroom, handbag, gym bag, work bag, work cupboard, car. . . when I see it I want to use it.

- using cheaper conditioner samples etc, but doubling up. My hair is coming up nicely being conditioned twice with 'lesser' conditioners

- reorganising my beauty cupboard often and finding things that are small, or closer to empty, and using those before reaching for newer, fuller bottles.

- making sure if I own a type of product, it works it's way into my routine. Primer every day, not just for going out. Foot creams at night. Alternating masks, serums and night creams.

It must be working, I'm at around 130 products panned since Feb 1 hehe Any other ideas?
Koni
444 posts
Oh my goodness Trudi! I've spent the past 2 days trying to search for the thread where you mentioned all your tips on panning products. So glad you've started this thread....I'll be reading :-)
shazatron101
5112 posts
I have a conditioner I don't like, so I use it to shave my legs and pits, and I had a half full bottle of mosturizer that I added sugar and salt to for a scrub - it didn't work very well sadly but it was a nice in shower treat!
trudijoy
8375 posts
OH Shaz yes, I use conditioner that sucks to shave my legs with. Also, shower gels mixed in with rock salt makes a good body scrub (pans the shower gel faster too!)

I've also used shower gel to do handwashing. I've been breaking soaps into smaller chunks to use in the shower to wash my hands. (I always wash my hands at the end of a shower. Always have)

I'm not stalking your thoughts, Koni, I promise x
-Bex-
611 posts
Yes I need ideas I like the one about leaving products everywhere you see you will want to use them. I've got a massive basket in my room full of soaps shower gels shampoos conditioners etc but I have got an excessive amount lots of double ups so I make the kids use them now. I used to buy the kids seperate stuff but now it's like meh get what you like use it all. Shame they can't use makeup! I have got 3 unopened mascaras that I'm dying to try but don't wanna open til I've used the 3 open ones I've got. Foundation... I have 7 on the go. Don't even want to start on skin care stuff. Such a great thread Trudi!! Can't wait to read everyone's tips
trudijoy
8375 posts
haha thanks bex. The kids comment reminded me that when the little girls come into the classroom and go' ooh something smells nice' and it's my lotion, I let them use it haha. They think they're awesome, and I get to pan :p
MareeB
5239 posts
Wow, loads of good ideas Trudi! Just having things where I can see them kinda works, cos if I can't see something I forget it exists (the perils of middle age)!!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Agreed. If you want to pan it, you have to be able to see it. Otherwise it just gets pushed to the back of the cupboard again. If I don't like a moisturiser (or it doesn't like me) then it goes on my body or hands instead. And if I still don't like it then I use it on my feet. Feet will tolerate anything. 
Jesse
745 posts
I find that if I want to pan a product I'll only use that one until it's gone. For example lip balm, I'll only use the one lip balm until it's done, if it's a body moisturiser I'll only use that one for body, hands feet etc. I really enjoy throwing out things!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Yes, that's another great tip, Jesse. Lip balms never pan when you have eight different ones on the go. Ahem. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
I buy a new lip balm when I can't find mine in my bag..... oops haha
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
There's always at least three lip balms in my handbag. I even have two in my pencil case lol. It's a hangover from roaccutane days. Which, incidentally is the best way of panning lip balm!
trudijoy
8375 posts
well... tinted, shimmery and plain, at the very least, am I right?
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Haha, yes, so,right! So they all have a different function. And then there's always the 'one for luck' lol. 
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Great ideas there!

I've been trying to use up the half empty bottles of hair care products I've had in the cupboard for a while now. They are all out on display and I'm gradually getting through them. I don't have any other products I want to use up quickly because I've only just started buying stuff again.

I'm resisting buying other brands of the same items until I've used up what I've got too. I have a brand new mascara here unopened and I'm just hoping it will last until I've used the other older one up. It was part of a Natio gift pack so that's the reason I have two. I wanted the other items in the gift pack and thought I'd keep the new one as backup :)
SandieNZ
424 posts
You're so right Trudi - I really need to remind myself to leave stuff lying around where I'll find it if it's something I want to use up!  I am SHOCKING at putting stuff away in a safe place and then forgetting about it...like my shiseido primer....!  I find if I leave things in places that I'll trip over, then I actually use them - and I have to put away duplicates of items until the original is used
ragingfrog
1289 posts
My brother is unaware that he will be on the receiving end of some haircare and soap. Soap because I have a few extra bars and the shampoo/conditioner has a manly scent that I can't stand.
Macs
5351 posts
Funny seeing this thread. I just opened my bathroom draw. There was heaps of half used sample jars from clinique, meadowflowers, oasis, etc. Im gonna have a huge clean out. Don't get me started on handwashes and soaps lol theres heaps in my cupboard. Its like I get sick of one thing and move on to the next thing.So I'm gonna at least try to use those up too.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Macs i do the 'getting over it and moving on' thing too
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Agreeing with the masses here, focusing on specific products and having them in your line of sight is muchos importante to panning items.

Not buying 1000 back ups also helps! Reduces the temptation to stop using the current product you're bored of.

Makeup-wise I tend to apply makeup a couple of times a day in the weekend to experiment with different looks/figure out what works for me etc, you get the benefit of practicing those makeup skills, as well as using up products!
MillXhodia
136 posts
great thread. I tend to buy shampoo and conditioner far too often and im waiting to use up the last of ones that are very blah to use the one I already love haha
Mila
1209 posts
I agree with some of the ladies comments if I really want to use something up I have to keep it in my line of sight and really not try and buy backups im bad for always buying backups of things and I end up using the new items and the old stuff is still sitting there.  Lip balm I think 99% of the time I loose before I ever get to finish haha
Rezee
1964 posts
Ive been really into panning this year. I kept a track of the dollar amount of products I used up last month and I found that super helpful.
I used an awful shampoo as a handwash, I hate throwing stuff out even if I dislike it! I also use bodywash I dont like as kids bubble bath.
picking a couple of products and keeping them in your sight is good and also giving yourself little breaks. I have been trying to pan an eyeshadow palette. I use it every week day and then use my other palettes on the weekend.  This stops me from getting bored.
Pifithrin
1243 posts
I use lipsticks as cream blushes, and eyeshadows to fill in my eyebrows.

Otherwise I use the product every day! Working on one at a time makes a difference.
awesome ideas thanks aye
MissQT
1547 posts
I've used face moisturiser on legs before.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I have a face wash that I bought on holiday once when mine had run out. I'm trying to use it up when I'm away on weekends but it makes my face feel so tight. And its getting pretty old. I decided today it would ideal for washing my hands with after I have put on my make up in the morning. It works great for that but it even leaves my hands dry, lol! I should just chuck it out but I hate waste!
simone94
191 posts
Love this thread
Rezee
1964 posts
Another one I tried the other day was using an eyeliner as a base for my shadow. I just kind of drew it on my lid and then blended it in with  brush.  It was a purple liner so it gave a nice purple undertone to my shadow. Ive been trying to use up this particular liner for months now, but its taking so long because I only use it on my bottom lash line. I have less then half a cm left now but will use this trick for the next 100 or so liners I want to use up!
kirstyj
1732 posts
Yus! My nightime moisturiser may have turned into a hand cream for a bit as well but yay it is finally finished so I can try the Trilogy moisturiser we got in the BRBB. So happy I want to reapply more moisturiser now.
trudijoy
8375 posts
awesome work, kirstyj :p
trudijoy
8375 posts
need to start following my own advice again! Only finished 23 products this month.  Still, a travel month coming up in July, which means lots of travel sizes and samples :p
shazatron101
5112 posts
Getting a bit slack there Trudi :P (totally joking lol)
tannygirl
3392 posts
I discovered my younger brother has taken an interest in washing his face with recent outbreaks of pimples. So I share my cleanser and scrubs with him or I just leave them in the bathroom and tell him to go ahead and use them. He's happy helping me pan stuff off. I don't know if he's used the spf moisturizer I left there for him there yet.
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
I definitely use samples up as soon as I get them. And I'm one to share certain skincare items with my younger brother who has pretty severe break outs. I've decided to keep all of my empties and record them, not just for my channel but also just so that I can keep an eye on what I'm using up the most of and what I need to calm down with buying (eyeshadow palettes being the exception) 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Shaz.... I know right? TraineeMUA... Good idea! I can't handle the clutter of empties lol
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
Unfortunately right now I seem to run out of everything at once and I'm splurging on this amazing present for my brother's birthday - gonna set me back over $200 but I can't wait to see his face when it finally arrives. Need nail polish remover, a new cleanser, a new black eyeliner (where the heck did they all go? I swear I was JUST complaining about how many eyeliners I own), a new primer and a new eyeshadow primer. Ugh. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Try the Jordana eyeshadow primer! Hahaha I'm still okay for most big things atm but keep buying lil bits and pieces
Macs
5351 posts
I need nail polish remover , a primer, eye shadow primer and eye cream. So I'll looking up some reviews because their next on my to buy list. Im trying to stay away from lipsticks, I easily buy those instead of what I should be getting lol
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
I'm like that with eyeshadow palettes... if you're willing to splurge on an eye cream I 100000% recommend the Oasis Beauty Lips and Lashes. Such an amazing, hydrating eye cream.
Jesse
745 posts
This month I needed to buy sunscreen, primer and foundation. Unfortunately my foundation is in my MAC order to so I'm currently surviving on bb cream and using up my samples which is sooo not fun, especially as I've now changed skin types so my foundation may not work for me when it arrives :( I've used so much stuff up this month though! Love clearing out space.
Koni
444 posts
I'm trying to pan my MAC lippies so I selected 8 to chuck into my makeup bag. They're ones that I clearly made an effort to wear at some point in the past but forgot about them. Unfortunately they're all nudes so my lip colour is a tad boring - almost done with Syrup sooooo tempted to drop it on the ground in the hope it'll finish it off haha.
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Hahaa, that made me laugh, Koni! I can just envisage the lippy hitting the concrete and getting all munted with bits of dirt stuck to it...don't do it!

I'm trying to pan an Art Deco shadow that I've had for quite a while now. I obviously used to love it coz it has a massive dip going on, but it's taking forever, so every time I use it I'm all up in there excessively swirling my brush around like I'm needing to cover my entire face in it. I'm making progress! Ha.
accidentprone_x
845 posts
I am also one that has lip balms and moisturiser everywhere. I do tend to use up my work bag stuff up the fastest though.
Macs
5351 posts
Do not drop them on the ground Koni lol

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!