Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Clothing frustrations!

38 posts, 21 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
I'm happy enough with my body shape and size. .. sure, I'd love to re-lose the last 5kg but generally (apart from fat days) I'm happy enough. But man shopping for particular items is doing my head in this year! I'm tallish at 174.5cm but not overly tall and I'm a pretty standard 10/12 top & 12/14 bottom. I have a small waist and curvier hips and bust. I don't think my shape is all that odd.

This year it took me forever to find jeans (in the end I found 2 pairs I adored for $25 each but it took weeks) and now I'm on year 3 (yes, three years) of trying to find a (faux) leather jacket that is NOT bomber or under-bum in length. I want one about the length of the tops I wear, so sitting on my belt loops if I'm wearing jeans. You think I can find one? They're all super tight in the shoulders and too big at the waist, too long//short or look cheap and nasty. It's so frustrating!

Share the pain please haha...anyone else just not able to find what they want in a particular item (clothing, beauty, whatever....?)
mallomiss
569 posts
I always have this issue when I need something in particular, like a while ago I was looking for a 1950's style dress that didnt cost a small fortune. gave up & wore something else, then the following month I seen heaps!

I struggle to find tops that fit right. I'm about a size 14 but I have large 'girls' so most tops are too big in the shoulders or make me look too old or just don't sit right...   
I'm a size 7 for pants/shorts/jeans and the only place that stocks them is Just Jeans so if I don't like what they have I'm totally screwed. I don't know why my jean size is always stuck in the middle but it's incredibly frustrating. I only bought one pair of shorts this summer that were a size too big(and that was the only design I even liked in the first place). The worst part is I don't often find skirts/dresses I like so I can't take that easy way out either.

Shirtwise... My shoulders are wide in comparison to everything else though that doesn't matter too much in winter thankfully.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Trudijoy spend the money and go to someone that makes leather jackets or jackets in general. They can go over styles and tailor to what you are wanting. Yes it will cost but the jacket isn't going to last 2 weeks, if you take care of it it will last years. They should also have access to faux leather as well.
trudijoy
8375 posts
ragingfrog I considered that but I'm not a 'multiple years' wearer. I get super bored with clothes very easily, and I like shopping so I don't *want* to spend hundreds on one item. I have other jackets for netball and work and things but have this dead set idea about finding something which is pretty much identical to the bomber styles around atm but two inches longer lol.
Macs
5351 posts
Mallomiss a 14 but I can fit all three 12-16 , I find it hard to find tops that sit right too. I cant find jeans either. I hate bootcut. Skinnys feel really tight. I need a new pair too.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Trudijoy there is a whole marketplace of alteration companies, depending on the cut of the original jacket you may be able to get a ready made one taken in and shortened a little as another option.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Macs sounds like you need to track down some straight leg or relaxed fit jeans to try on.
MareeB
5241 posts
Feeling your pain Trudi. I got a cool faux leather jacket that I loooove at farmers a couple of years when I was 56 kgs and it fitted perfectly. Now I'm nearly 80kg (thank you thyroid medication) and I can't think of a single item of clothing anywhere in the world that will look good on me :(
Macs
5351 posts
I been wearing skinnys. I found one pair of straight leg and their so comfy. Its just finding them thats hard.
kirstyj
1732 posts
My clothing frustration at the moment is more of trying to find a wardrobe that I love. I just have so much stuff that I don't actually like that much anymore. I'm trying to get my wardrobe down to 30 - 40 pieces that will all work together (It's called a capsule wardrobe, there is some great youtube videos on it). So my shopping is very limited at the moment. I'm only buying something new if it can replace multiple items in my wardrobe. So I bought a cardigan the other day in dark grey, and longer (just past my bum) and it replaced 3 existing cardigans because it would go with so many things. (Luckily work is now going to be giving me a uniform in August so I won't have to buy professional clothes anymore, they're so expensive!).
shazatron101
5112 posts
I finally, after months of looking, found a pair of jeans I like. The color much lighter than I'm used to but hey, a good pair of jeans that fit my big ol booty? I'm happy haha
100_percent_ash
488 posts
Hourglass body problems here. Jeans are my kryptonite. If I can get them over my thighs they inevitably gape at the waist. Anything that fits on the waist I can't get past my knees. Stretch fabric (as hideous as it is) is my best friend. I also find I wear a lot of figure hugging stuff because otherwise my waist gets swamped and I look like a blob which is good for certain occasions not so much for others.
Cat
474 posts
Oh the struggles, I use to love clothes shopping but as I've got older I think I've hit a bit of a style funk, I know what I want and like but everything misses the mark. Too much cropped tops for this 31yr old and the quality of material on a lot is pathetic, especially considering the price. I feel I get a lot more bang for my buck with makeup! I'm a shorty so most pants/jeans are a little too long on me, so I was stoked when I discovered Topshop Leigh jeans, so comfy and fit perfectly. 
SandieNZ
424 posts
The struggle is real!  :)  I have the same issues, I have a short, post 4-baby body and there's no way in hell that I'm going to fit standard jeans.  JeansWest however have been my saviour - their Curve Embracer jeans are an amazing fit, I can get them in short or 7/8 length, super skinnys and they look amazing.  And if you're patient enough you can get them in the 40% off sales that happen twice a year
kirstyj
1732 posts
Agreed on the curve embracer jeans! I'm onto my third pair of the same style jean because I can't find anything else that fits.
SandieNZ
424 posts
They're amazing aren't they kirsty!  I can fit a size 9 in the curve embracer - there's no way in hell I'd get anywhere near that in any other styles so it's a real boost to the ego too!  ;)
astylecollector
204 posts
Yes the struggle is real! I am short and clothes here in NZ don't fit me very well. Jeans are always way too long and I can't find a good maxi dress that won't drown me in fabric :(
I agree with Cat though, I am obsessed with Topshop Leigh jeans. They are the comfiest pai and I have three of them. I love how they have a petite line too so I don't have to hem my jeans any more.
astylecollector
204 posts
Yes the struggle is real! I am short and clothes here in NZ don't fit me very well. Jeans are always way too long and I can't find a good maxi dress that won't drown me in fabric :(
I agree with Cat though, I am obsessed with Topshop Leigh jeans. They are the comfiest pai and I have three of them. I love how they have a petite line too so I don't have to hem my jeans any more.
bronjenks
253 posts
Oh how I loathe clothes shopping.  I hardly ever find things that will fit properly and look ok.  I'm short (155cm) and finding pants can be darn near impossible!  To get something that fits my butt I have to go bigger but then the rest of the pant looks terrbile.  In saying that, I went in to Postie Plus the other day and was really surprised to find more than one top/tunic that I liked!  Yay! I thought... not yay as they didnt have my size, no other store did, not even the online shop, big boo hoos from me.  I really dispair sometimes....:-(
-Bex-
611 posts
I'm over clothes shopping at the moment. Like cat said why does everything have to be cropped? I like my waist but not that much I want it on show at 29 and 4 kids in tow. And I doubt I could pull it off I'd probably look like I had flogged my kids clothes rather than trying to be fashionable. Secondly what is with everything that does cover your midriff have to be huge I'm finding everything really baggy. Lots of clothes feel like sacks there seems to be no definition at the waist if that makes sense? 
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
I love clothes ha ha better than the alternative 
i just try on till I get it right xx
MissQT
1547 posts
I have been looking for a good pair of black work pants for a year now. I don't want boot leg pants but more ankle grazers or 3/4 ones that I can wear with heels. I am quite small so I have skinny legs, and the pairs I've always tried on dont fit me in the waist/hips or the pull around my crotch area. I thought a year looking was long enough but three years beats me by a mile!
MareeB
5241 posts
Wow, I thought it was only me. So who are clothes made for????? If it weren't for tights I'd be in a onesie for the rest of my life and I can tell you, that is NOT a good look!!!
kirstyj
1732 posts
MissQT try Cue. I have some perfect black work pants from there and I hate pants. I went in there in a dress and wanted to try on a top so they got me some pants (and I hate shopping for pants), and I walked out with the pants and not the top... and they weren't on special which is crazy for me.
Macs
5351 posts
I used to wear tights alot Maree. I havent worn them in a while. I like wearing jeans and trackies. I really need to do a clean out. I have lots of clothes I dont wear.
shazatron101
5112 posts
Maree, who said onesies weren't a good look? They're my favorite type of clothing :P
mallomiss
569 posts
I've just Ezybuy have leather jackets that fit the description of what you're after Trudijoy, at $160 I can't imagine it's real leather
pumau
121 posts
SandieNZ is on the ball, most of the problems you guys are having is a body shape issue and I highly recommend you enter a jeanswest store before you entirely give up.
I work at jeanswest and the curve embracer Sandie wears will fix your problems. Its designed to fit those with wider hips or a bigger bum but a waist thats smaller. so you dont get the gaping or extra fabric where its not needed. Plus we stock sizes from 6-20 and prices vary from $39.99 to $69.99.
We then stock 7/8th jeans on our floor that are $100 a pair but they are worth it.
Or have a look on their website before you go in.
Not trying to help my business but I hate seeing people struggle with jeans.

Macs
5351 posts
I've never tried jeanswest jeans before.
Mila
1209 posts
I think we all have a clothing frustration of some kind :) - now that im 29 weeks pregnant clothing is a nightmare lol....maternity gear is so expensive and but to buy normal gear to accomodate my ever growing size is impossible without looking like a bag lady which is not ideal for a front of house job haha..  your not this way for that long b ut its a long time when you get up each morning struggling to dress for work haha

before this jeans were a nightmare for me to, my hips are quite wide but I have a small waist and longish legs so to try and fit the three into anything just never worked well :) ..

I think age for me is a factor to Im 32 and I feel like everything is crop tops which look great on the young girls but not so much appropriate for myself anymore...

mallomiss
569 posts
I've just Ezybuy have leather jackets that fit the description of what you're after Trudijoy, at $160 I can't imagine it's real leather
Kellyleanne
551 posts
Agree, i think everyone must get frustrated by clothes for one reason or another :-). 

I find it tricky to find pants to fit as I am quite short, and most times I have to get them altered. 

I'm currently in this in between stage with my sizing, I haven't lost all the weight I gained whilst being pregnant with mr four month old, so i dont fit alot of my pre-pregnancy outfits) so I'm rather limited with my outfit choices at the moment. I'm not wanting to buy anything as hoping I will get back to the size I was before. Looking forward to fitting my usual clothes one day :-)

trudijoy
8375 posts
tried them Mallomiss. tight in the shoulders, short in the body, loose at the waist. Again :( One was only $100 too! I even tried a woolen blazer there. Same deal.
trudijoy
8375 posts
YAY I got a jacket, woohoo.  Okay so it's not the leather look I did want but it's warm, dressy, the right length, and suits me.  Also, it was $60.  I'm gonna call that a win
MissQT
1547 posts
Yay what a score trudi! You must be so pleased! 

Thanks Kirsty, I will try cue. I've shopped there in the past and the pants I've tried on didn't suit me. I do like their clothes though so I will keep trying as they have quite a few different styles.
StayClassy-xo
240 posts
Oh man, I'm with astylecollector on this one!  Being short means always having difficulty finding pants or jeans that don't have to be hemmed first!  Sounds like I need to check out that line by Topshop... .  Luckily while shopping on the weekend for work pants I discovered that a number of Portmans items were the right length for me.  It was a good feeling!
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Ah this post just made my day, its not just me :P I'm also short and usually get ankle biter jeans from JayJays, but this time round none of them were the shape or colour I wanted so I had to go for longer ones (which I still haven't got around to getting hemmed up). And all in all every pair of jeans fits wrong. Finding the perfect clothes is damn hard....but shoes are worse.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!