Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Can I ask a question about trials?

34 posts, 16 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
Specifically, how are these chosen?

I just had an invitation - my first in a long time, second since joining panel, and neither were for things I put my hand up for. in fact, this one I specifically said that these (sheet masks) are beyond my realm of what i can deal with.

SO my question is....

How are these chosen? Are the comments actually read? Are we better off NOT commenting if we don't want it (which negates the discussion, surely)

And can I please please please get chosen for something I actually wanted to do <3

Confused and sad that being on the expert panel has so far not done me any favours x
First Lady
957 posts
[color=#222222]Hey,[/color] 

Trial selection is a combination of going through the comments and manually checking out if that person's beauty profile matches the demographics specified for the products AND using our database search.   

It's actually a pretty labour-intensive process, that we could easily make more concise by not going through the comments and just relying on the search but we think its nice to get the products out to people who a) match the criteria and b) really want to trial it!  

That being said if we don't have enough suitable candidates through comments alone we will dive into the database by search, and we also run quite a few 'off-site' review panels, so yeap people might get a nice (or not...) surprise of being invited to a trial that they didn't specifically put their hand up for, for whatever reason - maybe they missed the trial call out, maybe they didn't check in that week, etc. 

Essentially its up to members if they want to comment on the polls or not - if you do comment then  your profile will be weighed up against the product specifications before the search is opened up to all eligible reviewers.  If you don't comment, well as you've found out twice now - you can still get invited based on your profile matching the product. 

There's no penalty for declining invites, in fact we like it that people do, as opposed to reviewing a product they have no interest in.   

But ultimately we can't really omit people from shall we say 'unsolicited' invites unless we omit them from the trial selection process completely. 

Hope this helps :)
trudijoy
8375 posts
thanks Nat, makes sense on a few levels.

I was just a bit gutted to fiiiiiiiinally get one and have it be for something that (due to no fault of the product!) i can't use (because they make me claustrophobic!) so thought I'd ask because on the surface it was confusing me a lot!

Love the surprise invitations and have had a couple but this one got me because I'd actively said that I couldn't so was wondering where the chain had broken down x

First Lady
957 posts
You know us, there's usually a reason somewhere, otherwise it's a gremlin!

xx
trudijoy
8375 posts
well Nat it's pretty rainy in Aucks this week and those things multiply with water don't they? ;)
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Nat, what are the 'off-site' review panels?

I got on the sheet mask trial (thanks, I love them!) I got an email to say it has been sent out already and that I have a week from today to do my review but to allow four working days to receive it (which is essentially a week). I wasn't expecting it to be sent out so quickly so I put down my work address but I'm not actually back at work until Tuesday. I'm just a bit concerned about the tight time line on this one. (I also sent an email as soon as I received the dispatched email)
First Lady
957 posts
Hey Soozie,

Off site review panels can include pre-market testing of new products, comparison trials of new formulas, that sort of thing.  So for those we don't feature in a Beauty Poll or openly recruit, if that makes sense, we just send out invites.

Yeah the deadline is really tight on this one - Pixie has been whizzing them out the door!

Don't stress though, I caught your email when I was in the hairdressers and let the couriers know we wanted to redirect, I've just noticed my reply to you sitting in my drafts, DUH, must have been the excitement of my new 'do!

xox

SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Awesome, thanks Nat. I have a new courier who actually knows where I live so should get here ok now!
JessB
219 posts
Sounds like a very complicated process Nat! From the sounds of it there were a lot of face masks to go out, which I'm pretty happy about.  Hopefully your perfect-matched product will come along soon Trudi :) 
Macs
5351 posts
I got my first invite too . It's been a while . Mine is shampoo and conditioner. I haven't reviewed hair care before. Good question soozie. I'm in the middle of moving house again. I should be in there next week . Hopefully I have no problems with delievery. 
KiwiLass
174 posts
I'd always assumed, from a research-geek point of view, that having some reviewers who genuinely usually don't like/aren't interested in the product (broadly speaking), would be of benefit for objectivity. If they end up coming around to and enhoying the product, then that speaks big kudos for whatever the product is (so long as the reason for the dislike is not allergy or other safety issues!).
I'd said I'm not usually a fan of face masks - they always slip off and I find them annoying. But I'm genuinely open to seeing if these are an improvement on the usual hassles of them, so we shall see!
Artemis
311 posts
That's interrresting! Haven't been on for awhile but I got an invite too, unfortunately missed out due to issues with logging in. 

all the best for your move, Macs! 
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
I never knew there was so much to the trial invites process, that was really fascinating! Had a bit of an emotional rollercoaster this morning logging in to see I'd been invited for two trials at once but both had been filled D: This weekend was clearly not a good time for a technology detox!
Julieal
915 posts
I have been very lucky but always in trials I have put my name down -I missed out on the mask as i was away and didn't log in that day -Trudi you could give the mask to a friend and they could trial it perhaps ?
trudijoy
8375 posts
Julie that's going against guidelines - accepting a trial then giving it away without trialling it yourself is a no-no!

I was going to decline but it was full before i clicked in anyway so no harm done, was just very confused for a moment.
Beauty88
29 posts
I had many doubts abour it as well
Julieal
915 posts
Sorry Trudi -I haven't been in that position but was just thinking about not wasting the product you have .
Imoshen
461 posts
Charmmy-Kitty your comment about having a technology detox made me laugh so thanks for that!

I too sometimes log in, see the invite and say "oh I want that" only to click on the link and see it has been filled.  Sometimes these girls are just far too fast ;).
trudijoy
8375 posts
now i logged in and saw the wee white '1 new invite' but when i clicked on it it said 'no new invites'.

It's playing games with my sanity, I swear it.
Kimrose
1412 posts
I have been offered 2 trials ( very lucky) of late but unfortunately I have been in Fiji and the internet was a bit dodgy so missed out. This of course gave another member a chance so I am pleased about that.  I simply adore trials and feel privileged to be chosen . You ladies do such an amazing job at Beauty Review HQ, hust letting you know I really appreciate being part of this.
First Lady
957 posts
Naw cheers Kim - it's been so wonderful getting to know you over the last 4 years, can't imagine BR without you.

xx
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Hey ladies I got some messages last night for the revitanail trial. 1 says it is due 16th and the other 2 say the 10th. A bit confused??? Anyone else get those messages? :-)
Head Pixie
569 posts
Hi Lisa-Lou,

Go with the 16th as it's a month long trial - we'll amend the other dates at our end.

xx Hell
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Thanks for asking Lisa-Lou. I was also wondering how that was gong to work with it being a one month trial. 
Head Pixie
569 posts
Giddy aunt, 'Hell'. Kell, obviously ;) xx
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Excellent thanks for the quick answer. Bhahaha hell! That made me laugh :-)
MareeB
5239 posts
"hell" I didn't even notice that Kellie, teeheehee
Julieal
915 posts
Interesting trial with 2 products -I am enjoying already-Hell !!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Head Pixie, my due dates are still showing as 6 November for the nail oil and system reviews. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I’ve just had email reminders for the Revitanail reviews. Could someone from from the crew please confirm the actual dates. I haven’t had a reply to my last post. Also been waiting over a week for another review to be moderated. 
Head Pixie
569 posts
Hey there,

Can you please have reviews in by 15 November - I'll amend the dates for the individual reviews.

Also, there are times we get busy and a forum post slips our eye (I know, even I can't believe that can happen!), so if you do have a question and it's not answered feel free to email [email protected].

X HP
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Thanks, Kelli! The amended dates are now showing at my end. I will send an email about the review that hasn't been moderated yet.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Mine still says the 10th. Will do it on the 15th though :-)
Ringy
825 posts
Mine says 10th still. 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!