Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Brands that do not test on animals?

27 posts, 16 members
Johanna
38 posts
So today I went to the store LUSH and we chatted alot about brands that hold rabbits eyes open and force them to endure painful colour testing and loreal was right up there with testing on animals and even the body shop claim not to but additives that are in the products some of them in fact have been tested on animals and the company is owned by loreal! So, what I would like to know ladies is what brands DO NOT test on animals and are not too expensive!
triffid
151 posts
There is a list here  http://features.peta.org/cruelty-free-company-search/
Kaitlyn343
268 posts
I think it's Safe that have a really good app out now, which lists all the brands that do not test on animals. It's such a good app, it will even take you to the website of the brand if you've never heard of it before :) oh and it's FREE to download.
ieseon
67 posts
It is very sad to know that animals has to suffer for the purpose of beauty products.  A while ago I was looking up the brands that do not test on animals and there are actually a lot of them which made me happy.  I must be honest that some of my beauty products are tested on animals such as my MAC . However I also have products that do not and some famous ones that do not test on animals are Benefit cosmetics, Lime Crime, Lush and also if you are familiar of iHerb, most of the products they sell are cruelty free so if you shop there you are mostly guaranteed that the products you buy are cruelty free!  There are a list of cruelty friendly brands out there! It is nice to know that the products you buy are cruelty free and not so nice to know if they aren't.
Seza95
175 posts
Hey I have downloaded the Safe Shopper App on my Phone so that I can whip it out when I am buying new makeup. Also any products you buy from complexions.co.nz are cruelty free!
Brands that (as far as I am aware) are completely cruelty free are:
-Skinfood
-Pure Fiji
-LUSH Cosmetics
-Trilogy
-Sleek MakeUp
-Oasis Beauty
-Real Techniques
-e.l.f
-Natio
-Dessert Essence
-Sorbet Sensational Solids
-Thin Lizzy
-Antipodes
-Linden Leaves
-Badger
-Pacific Perfumes
-Burt's Bees
-Dr. Hauschka
-Nature's Organics
-Eco Tan
-HURRAW!
-Inika
-Nude
-Olive SKincark
-Innoxa

Johanna
38 posts
wow thanks ladies :)
Kia
550 posts
It's really upsetting because most of the really big popular cosmetic brands do test on animals. And it's not just lab rats or rabbits, its also on dogs and cats, which is what disgusts me! I''ve done multiple reports on animal testing in high school, and the images still haunt me. I wish someone would print horrifying pictures of what animals actually go through on packages llike they do with cigarettes to discourage the consumption of the products! 
kirstysays
762 posts
I totally agree, it is shocking how many popular companies still test on animals! There seems to be far more skincare brands that are cruelty free than makeup companies too...hopefully the pressure from us customers will change something!

If you're more into the alternative/goth scene, Sugarpill and Manic Panic don't test on animals either. Neither does Chi Chi.
sophie4cats
139 posts
The app mentioned is really good! While I know ethical animal testing is necessary for some scientific purposes, I totally dont agree with it been done for cosmetic products!There are more and more brands switching to other testing methods, which is awesome! Hopefully we can change the attitude of the monopoly companies. As well as those listed above Queen Helene doesnt test on animals
sophie4cats
139 posts
Oh my goodness why did my comment come up so many times!! Eek help haha not sure how to delete all these now
sophie4cats
139 posts

sophie4cats
139 posts

sophie4cats
139 posts
sophie4cats
139 posts
Sorry ladies! :)
sophie4cats
139 posts

Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
So i have to admit, i have been blissfully ignorant for a long time in regards to animals testing, and it was only recently when i was looking at a product that it said 'not tested on animal products' and this swayed me into buying this product instead of an alternative one. Its awesome to see other brands that also dont test on animals, and its good to see a few of my favs such as benefit, and Oasis appear on that list!! I think now im becoming more beauty aware, im also  becoming more aware of how this products are made! Will diffinitely be downloaded this apps you ladies suggested!
tannygirl
3392 posts
I didn't know much about testing on animals until I saw some videos from Lush. A mean why shampoo hurts when it gets in your eyes why do you need keep torturing animals and see how it feels on them? And smoking we know it's bad for you why do you need to watch the effects on rabits as well?
Jesse
745 posts
This is a topic which sparks so much food for thought! Something to consider is also whether a brand doesn't test their products directly on animals, but uses ingredients in the products that are tested on animals, as well as whether a company has a parent company that tests on animals or sells their products in a country where by law the products are required to bes tested on animals. 
triffid
151 posts
Jesse your comment is also something we should remember.Just like 99% natural or organic there can always be a little bit of bad stuff that sneaks in unaware to the buyer.Good point
Kia
550 posts
See, I actually disagree that much is being done to prevent animal testing, because despite many people's outrages and boycotts, there is still a large majority of people who are either ignorant to it, or just don't care. Some of the biggest, and most loved brands in the world, like Mac cosmetics, Garnier, Estee Lauder, Clinique, Johnson and Johnson, Maybelline, Bobbi Brown etc. etc. are still choosing to test on animals, and obviously the ratio of consumers vs. non consumers of those brands are greater, as the companies are still in business. I was horrified when I looked at the list of brands that test on animals, because I literally own (and love) many products from those companies. It's also really sad that I have to do extensive amounts of research to find a product I want, suited to my needs, that I really love and works, and has a suitable price attached to it, that comes from a non-animal testing company. 
Kia
550 posts
I also had a teacher who suggested that products be tested on rapists and murderes, or just any type of violent criminals who were in notorious jails like Riker's Island, which I thought was a great idea, but some students argued that it would be unethical because they were humans, because it would be torture to them. Ok so, if it's on humans it's torture, but on animals it's perfectly acceptable?? 
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
@Kia your teachers idea is pretty good! These criminals caused harm to other people and they often have it too easy in jail. If testing products on them can provide a benefit to other people then they should definitely be the 'guinea pigs' cause in my opinion any innocent lab animal deserves better than a murderer. 
Macs
5351 posts
Interesting read ladies. I must be honest that I never considered whether it has been tested on animals until now. Thank yous for opening my eyes to this.
I love seeing conversations like this, where people can talk about opinions and ask questions about Cosmetic testing! There are also heaps of amazing people in the world doing massive thingst to develop testing that does not require harming any living creature! And lots of people who devote their lives to making a change! 
I love seeing conversations like this, where people can talk about opinions and ask questions about Cosmetic testing! There are also heaps of amazing people in the world doing massive thingst to develop testing that does not require harming any living creature! And lots of people who devote their lives to making a change! 
notjaya
62 posts
The list by Seza95 is so helpful. I have to download the app myself. 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!