Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Bit of humour - Worst beauty advice

21 posts, 15 members
chikoboo
3402 posts
Having a spate of insomnia over the past couple of nights, I found this absurd list of advice that some people have been given and actually tried! Noted a few of the more outrragous ones to post in here so you can have an oh my gawd! what the! giggle too.   Also any that you can add? sometimes I wonder what happened to common sense.

* Coffee grounds as a self tanner
* Peanut butter as shaving cream
* Face mask made out of kitty litter
* Popping a pimple with a safety pin (made me physical recoil at the thought)
* Pore strips using gelatin
* Exfoliate using sandpaper (literally screamed on the inside!)
* Using actual colouring pencils as eyeliners

Macs
5351 posts
Omg eww at kitty litter lol Ive never heard of these before. 
Lisa-
79 posts
Haha kitty litter as a face mask may sound weird (and no I haven't tried it) but cat litter is made mostly of bentonite clay, which is also used in a lot of face masks.
And the indian healing clay that is so very popular on iherb - 100% bentonite clay :)
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Peanut butter as a shaving cream?! NO. What in the world? Lol. I don't know of any but that is obsured haha
tannygirl
3392 posts
  The gelatin pore strips I've done. They actually get out a good ammount of blackheads out of your nose. But I stopped using porestrips about a year ago. The kitty litter one was a Michelle Phan tutorial I didn't try it out but there is a container of the kitty litter under the bathroom sink and I've seen my brother use it. I've seen a few people that looove popping pimples sterilize a needle and then use it to gently prick pimples and squeeze out the gunk and they've wanted to try that on my pimples but I don't let other people squeeze stuff out of my pores unless they're a trained esthetician. 

Rezee
1964 posts
Ew to all of those! 
I always thought the crayon lipstick thing was so weird and dodgy sounding beauty advice. 
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I've seen a couple of YouTube clips where they've used face paint as eye shadow. And I think it was putting cinnamon or another spice into lip balm to give you plumper lips on another YouTube video I saw.
MareeB
5242 posts
Guilty to popping pimples with a safety pin in my youth! Then smother the area in perfume to kill the germs heeheehee
Macs
5351 posts
Oh Maree Im having a flashback of doing that. And screaming at the top of my lungs from the perfume rofl
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I never used a poppy pin but my Mum had this pimple popper tool and I definitely used that when I was going through high school lol never put perfume on them though ouch!
MareeB
5242 posts
Funny Macs hahaha brief but deadly! It does hurt Amy but only for a sec and it dries out the skin and cleans the wound. I'll bet not everyone would agree with that, but it does work :)
-Bex-
611 posts
Really? peanut butter as shaving cream and coffee grounds as tanner? Haha. I do admit to using safety pins or Bobby pins for pimples and blackheads naughty I know
tannygirl
3392 posts
Okay this is another bit of advice I got. When I was maybe 10-11 or around that age someone who I respected dearly was commenting on my toenails and how they looked yellowish and needed a good scrub and suggested I take an old toothbrush and some laundry powder and scrub them. I did that every week for over a year until he told me he was actually joking. 

The toenails on my smallest toes now permanently grow in cracked and I have pretty dry thick toenails as a result.
Ringy
825 posts
I was told by my cousin that if you trim your eyelashes they will grow longer. So not true!
chikoboo
3402 posts
Oh my goodness! Maree, Macs I have image of Macualy Culkin in Home Alone now when he pops aftershave on tehehe.  And Ringy cutting your lashes to make them grow..oh no! guess she thought it worked for actual hair, a cut helps it to grow stronger.
Koni
444 posts
Sandpaper!? I hope they didn't use any toner afterwards, I reckon that would hurt a bucket load.

Maree haha oh my giddy aunt I don't even think I'd have the guts to spritz the perfume hahaha.
MareeB
5242 posts
I still do it to this day - spray perfume on a squeezed pimple! I think people did it to cold sores once upon a time too? - ouch!
mallomiss
569 posts
Coffee ground as a tanner actually works. 
The coffee scrubs leave you a bit tanned, it's the same thing really.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Yeap, coffee scrubs stain my legs and towels the same as fake tan does. 

Mareebros my mum used to use perfume for cold sores too. Try tea tree oil instead. More effective (also for pimples) and doesn't sting. 
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Surely noone would actually use peanut butter to shave with. It sounds impossible.
Lutece
1849 posts
Theres some bizzare ones in there, the peanut butter one sounds like such a waste, id rather put that on my toast :)

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!