Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Beauty Lovers...feedback on Anti Age products wanted please

12 posts, 12 members
BR-Queenie
261 posts
Hi Ladies,

Can you give me your quick feedback on these questions;

1) When it comes to Anti Age Products  (e.g products claiming wrinkle reduction/younger looking skin) what brands are you seeing or noticing in the market at the moment?
2) What are they doing that is reasonating with you? Claims they are making? Or their advertising? What makes you want to buy them?
3) When it comes to Anti Ageing products, what is it about this topic that you are particularly interested in? What are the hot topics?
4) What new trends in Anti Ageing are you aware of at the moment?  
5) Are thered any claims that Anti Age products make that you are getting tired of hearing or don't believe?

Thanks ladies xoxo BR
misserinlouise
29 posts
I am not really aware of any particular brands doing a big push for anti aging products at the moment, even though I should be (coming up for 30). I guess they are just always being advertised and my brain sort of skips over them because the word 'anti aging' seems like a bit of a myth. I have a very 'yeah right' attitude to all these miracle claims because really, they can't do the things they say they do.  Although thinking about it, there does seem to be some products around who claim to 'fill in' wrinkle spaces, like non-needle collagen to the skin. Again, this seems a little odd and unbelievable.  I guess instead of 'anti aging' I am just wanting to know about products that can help keep my skin looking the best it can be. In terms of meeting head on the issues that someone coming into 30 can expect. I want realistic products that say exactly what they can do, not some airbrushed version on the TV/in magazines. The one thing I want to buy is a serum, and I note Estee Lauder has a specific night time one that has come out. That has a clear, believable use (thicker product for while you sleep).   
hughes_dre
229 posts
1)  Typically seeing more 'supermarket' brands that are marketed to specific demographics.  I.e. Garnier, Olay, Loreal etc.

2)  I think they're starting to compete with each other in how soon you see results.  Seems consumers these days want practically instant gratification so companies are becoming 'smarter' in their marketing.  This is probably the biggest draw card for me - if it actually works.

3)  Let's be honest, today's society has become very superficial so looks are becoming more important.  So we're always trying to retain youthful skin.  If a face cream can do just as good a job as a face lift, at a fraction of the cost, then you're likely to make a fortune if your products actually do what they say they'll do.

4)  Haven't noticed any lately to be honest.

5)  Guaranteed results in 14 days!
janelle
5 posts
1) When it comes to Anti Age Products  (e.g products claiming wrinkle reduction/younger looking skin) what brands are you seeing or noticing in the market at the moment?
Trilogy (from this site) - I don't read women's mags anymore - normally I'd notice more brands from the advertising or recommended products
2) What are they doing that is reasonating with you? Claims they are making? Or their advertising? What makes you want to buy them?
N/A I'm not sure I'm quite ready, at 37, to get into panic purchasing Anti-Age products
3) When it comes to Anti Ageing products, what is it about this topic that you are particularly interested in? What are the hot topics?
I'm interested in reversing pigmentation, sun spots etc... but I don't believe it's possible from an OTC bottle.
4) What new trends in Anti Ageing are you aware of at the moment?  
Not sure if it's very new, but serums that plump up fine lines and rejuvenate skin.
5) Are there any claims that Anti Age products make that you are getting tired of hearing or don't believe?
Anti-age products cannot turn back the clock or give you new skin.
pixie_stylz
228 posts
A brand that has hung around for years is Olay. i find there products do deliever results. What  really sucks me in are the serums, they are usually small and quite expensive but the promise to deliver better under eye results. In a anti aging product i look for nice packaging. if it looks nice i tend to pick it up first and see what it claims to do. I love it when a product says visable results in 30 days ect. Because you think to yourself in just one month from now my skin will look better and people will notice. Im always looking for products which cotain natral ingredents, like green tea, oil's ect. I would say as far as latest trends at the moment. Would defenitly be face masks,  face masks claim to deliever a treatment to your skin and when you put a face mask on you even get that feel that you are pampering yourself regardless of the results it makes you feel good. My all time favourite brand would have to be Triolgy , there products really do what they claim to do , with lots of goodness packed in. Although the price might be a bit off putting to some when buying a skincare range trilogy products last ages. so thats one thing people should take into account when buying it. Work out how long it will last and work out how much that is per week/month and you will see that it isnt that expensive after all. The main thing with anti aging products get products that you can afford, so you can use them regualry not just for special events. If you use cream/ serums / face mask regular you wont have to worry so much about repairing the damage. the main thing is to prevent it. And something that should be part of everyones Anti aging skincare routine is Sunscreen!!!! so find one that feels great on your face and wear it daily . Hope i did babble to much lol.
chikoboo
3402 posts
1) I've noticed the usually suspects on ads such as Nivea, Garnier, Olay.  But more so on internet ads I have noticed Trilogy

2)The claims that they can reduce fine lines in shorter time periods sounds attractive, as well as the claim that they can tighten and lift facial skin too.  I personally haven't brought any anti-aging cream (except eye cream) but I would be attracted to products that have done their research and been reviewed by trusted source, such as BR

3) Not sure on the hot topics but i would be looking for natural products

4) fillers seem to be making their way into the market that state that they can produce facelift results in a cream (can't think of their specific names) but Q10 and collegan seem to be constant on the anti-aging campaigns

5) I get tired of the over use of "instant results" nothing can ever bring instant results, unless your really lucky I've never had these results but gradual over time it does get results so I never believe these claims

BarbaraMay
131 posts
When it comes to anti aging product campaigns, the one that has resonated with me (and I'm sure it was years ago) was the Dove Pro-Aging campaign - to me that was a real campaign aimed at real women.  I bored rather quickly of all the 'scientific' / futuristic campaigns that seem to be the go to for this area.

Anyhoo on to your questions!

1.  Always Olay, Estee Lauder seem to advertise a lot in magazines, and Trilogy.  L'Oreal is another one I related to anti-aging but I actually can't think of a product!

2. My answer for this is probably answered above haha, I just really don't buy in to anti aging products.  I think the best thing to do is to be proactive in your skin care, and even then lets be honest, we're fighting a losing battle. 

3.  Well I guess being a skeptic I'd love to see actual documented results from sources I trust.  Say someone I actually knew took noticable before and after pictures then I'd probably be down the shops the next day!  I'm 28, and I've heard using anti aging products too early being counterproductive...so lets say you can anti the aging, when can you start?

4.  I remember when anti aging was night creams and eye creams - now there's hand creams, serums, hannibal lector masks...I'd probably be more inclined for 1 product designed for face, eyes, neck, decolletage. 

5.  Hehe we've established I'm a negative nelly when it comes to anti aging...I would love to be proved wrong though, I'm getting some serious forehead furrows.
deville
42 posts
1. I have noticed Trilogy, L'Oreal and Garnier predominately advertising anti-anging products.
2. Saying that they help fine lines and dark spots/aging spots lighten is what will make me consider buying them.
3. I am particularly interested in products which help with fine lines, lightening age spots, and brighten the skin - I think these are hot topics also as well as needle based treatments vs alternative/natural treatments.
4. I think the biggest trend is towards natural products in the anti aging war.
5. Plumping the skin up - hmm for how long cause I don't believe that it can be done for an extended period of time - but I haven't investigated it any further.
Abi
29 posts
Hello All,

1. Amongst the usually suspects, the one that has really stuck out for me has been Avon (apart from Estee Lauder - which is another older established brand currently doing its thing!)!

Yes I know - good ol' Avon calling, always been a brand that I've never really taken seriously, I don't really know why this is, maybe it's never had the right marketing but I recently came across one of those catalogues in my mailbox and noticed on the back the Miracle serum: Anew Clinical Pro Line Corrector Treatment with A-F33.  Now I would've just assumed this was another so called 'Miracle' if it hadn't have been for the marketing that claims 'it sold out in 6hrs in the UK'.  A hook that got me interested!

(I think we need to trial it!)

2. The marketing and realistic proof of it working - I found this article http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2219230/Avon-Anew-Clinical-Pro-Line-Corrector-Treatment-Proof-20-miracle-cream-really-CAN-banish-wrinkles.html interesting as it sounds plausible and it does take time for skin to rejuvenate - you can't see instant results - without surgery of some sort.  It’s reasonable, in fact very affordable price is also something in its favour and in other words, I’d take the risk of it not working at that price!

3. I'm interesting in keeping elasticity, smoothness and an even healthy, ideally glowing complexion and aging as gracefully as possible.  You can't stop time and undo a life of 'fun or hard' living!  It does catch up with you but you can keep on top of your health which intern gives a healthy glow to you complexion better than a 'mask' that just looks wrong on an old person!

4. This A-F33 thing!  And the Products such as Estée Lauder’s Advanced Night Repair and Zo Skin Health’s DNA Repair Program have different technologies that speed up repair to environmental damage.  Estée Lauder uses Chronolux Technology (essentially encouraging cell renewal) whilst Zo contains retinol, which is a DNA repair agent.  I’m less convinced by all this but I would imagine if you keep indulging your skin in lots of good stuff that it must help more than if you didn’t – is anyone brave enough to try that though - maybe a trial of using nothing but a healthly diet in comparision to a miracle claim cream? Not sure many people would go for that one though!

5. I don't believe that any cream or serum for that matter can really do the stuff they claim - it's all clever marketing mixed with a little bit of truth or a new complex (most of the time made up) word that sucks us in, in the constant search of everlasting youth.

You know what, we all need to stop worrying about that chase of the next elixir, stop wasting our hard earnt money on these miracle claims and realise that a bit of healthy living, positive thinking, a smile and a love of life will ultimately bring that inner glow we all hope to achieve with these miracle products.

(Mind you that pamper time with that gorgeous new elixir, can also perhaps help to bring that peace of mind!) x

DutchWens
4 posts
1. The first brand that springs to mind is Estee Lauder's Night Repair Serum. It's all over the net, Facebook and magazines.
2. They have a well oiled publicity machine that targets women's fear of ageing and lures buyers in with test samples and great offers. I have actually tried this product from the sample size given to me and while it makes the skin feel soft and dewy these was not a whole lot of wrinkle busting going on (not that I have that many to start off with despite my age of 57). Plus Estee Lauder  don't tell you the price of the product (which is $129) before trying to hook you in with the samples. While I generally like Estee Lauder products I don't like them that much when there is no obvious benefit. I have no intention of spending that much on any product ever. .
3. As you can probably gather I am not really that interested in any quick fix anti-ageing product - I'm a true sceptic and don't believe you can beat a good skin care regime and hydration as the keys to good skin. And of course genetics play a huge part.
4. As I seem to just skim over these ads the trends of the moment are completely over my head.
5. Most of the claims made by these products give false hope for instant results (over a few weeks) without making any additional adjustment to skin care regimes or diet. Any product that mildly inflames the skin and plumps up surface layers will ultimately smooth out wrinkles for a few hours. Swelling can do that for anyone. Women that believe this is beneficial to their skin long term is kidding themselves.
Trace
38 posts
Lancome's Visionnaire is quite good. Nothing miraculous, but has made a visible difference to my ageing skin. Genifique is good too. Both are pretty expensive though.
Diff74
61 posts
Loreal Lazer X3 has had abit of tv time latley, and Estee Lauder.   Not sure about this antiaging angle.  Yet to see results on actually women rather than air brushed pictures, and product testing results usually only accounts for a very small percentage of a group that test. Im a great beleiver that you cant repair any skin damage done in early years but you you can help prevent or help to minimise more from happening.  Always wear a sunscreen that protects from UVA (aginging) and UVB (burning) to prevent damage/aging. Work with what you have and take care of it.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!