Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Beauty Empties

41 posts, 19 members
kirstyj
1732 posts
Just wanted to check in how people are going with empties? I'm on a bit of a mission to downsize my product collection this year and I feel like I'm finally hitting my stride. I've finished so many things this month already and my empties pile for the month is getting rather large.

Anybody have any tips that are working particularly well for them at the moment?

For me I am finally using more than I am buying which is making a huge difference. Also in the shower I have been keeping one type of each product in there at a time meaning it actually gets used up rather than using 10 things and nothing getting finished. 

p.s. loving when people pop their empties pics on the photowall.
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Oooo! You know I love these threads! I can't wait to see a pic of your big pile of empties!

Like you I'm definitely using more than I'm buying these days. Pretty sure I still haven't bought anything ths year, if my memory serves me correctly. It's such a good feeling actually using things up!

I've been a bit useless lately as I've been doing the fastest makeup look I can for work, so it's always the same products I use, which is why I'm finally nearly finished a foundation, (woo!) but it's not working so well for getting through things in general. Eek.

k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Like Sarah I can't wait to see your empties post KirstyJ.
Myself I've been putting things in the front to use up & have had my tweens using some of my skincare to help them but it's been dispensing my products. They've also been chosen to shower in my bathroom which means my soap and glory gets a bit more of a thrash. Which I want to finish. I've been limited financially to enable any spending but that's been good cos I use what I have instead of building a collection it's quite ironic bc last year I had nothing as in a way of skincare & had to start sub boxes to have my makeup stash but now a year on I'm like 100% more.
kirstyj
1732 posts
I'm so impressed you haven't bought anything Sarah! I splurged on some new skincare the other day.... but that is the first thing I've bought in a while (other than replacements). I've also nearly finished a foundation... but its replacement (the IT cosmetics CC Cream) is already on its way to me.
Also same on the fastest makeup possible... but I've nearly finished a eyeliner which is kind of cool. Well by finished I mean it is getting close to being too short to use.
Koni
444 posts
Ohhhh I love seeing empties too!  Keep up the great work lovelies!  Sarah I'm stoked that you're almost done with a foundation woohoo so how many more foundations do you have left?  Kirsty is there anything in particular you really want to pan?

I'm on track with using up products and it really feels good.  Finally finished 2 lipsticks - never EVER buying them again (so over them).  I'm almost done with the Ambient Lighting palette and I've hit pan on my Laura Mercier highlighter (yep it's true, miracles do happen)!!  The Hourglass Obscura Modernist palette is going to haunt me for life but atleast I've hit pan on that.

I make sure the stuff I want to pan are in my line of sight and mix it with different products so I don't die from boredom. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Empties aplenty here but not tracking so much :) i'm the same, love finishing things that have been sat around for ages
kirstyj
1732 posts
I've been using the same technique Koni with my makeup of just using a small basket of products each week and changing out things occassionally. I would love to finish some powder products but other than face powder I don't seem to use them up very fast at all.
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
I seem to finish up mascara however to justify that I'm using deluxe sizes & the full sizes I end up disliking them for some reason. I wonder can a deluxe size wand fit into a full size tube? I'm thinking of trying out how a good wand can work..I've given three tubes away bc of wands that just cause clumping.
kirstyj
1732 posts
Keri it could be worth trying! I would just store it standing up on the wand end so the product gets onto the wand. Maybe store it in a lipstick holder.
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Thanks Kirsty maybe this will make the lash sensation work for me. I'm sure it's the wand that sux.
kirstyj
1732 posts
I'm going to try the Too Faced Better Than Sex wand with the Maybelline Lash Sensation... but I want to purchase my next mascara first so I know I have a back up if it doesn't work.
Rezee
1964 posts
I love using things up! I have a plastic storage thing that I keep a small amount of makeup in rather than digging around through everything. I just try my hardest to focus on one thing at a time. And I make sure certain products are the ony thing I use each time but I'm less restrictive on other products so I don't get too bored.
I like to keep two shower gels and two body lotions on the go at one time too. I also get bored of just using the same one each day! When I get to a certain emptiness,  then I'll focus on just using that till it's gone. 
I find makeup the hardest to go through. I'm making good progress on my maybelline concealer but my elf liquid liner is never ending!
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
The lash sensational wand definitely sucks! Pretty sure I mentioned in my review of it that I swapped the wand out too. It's the worst! I love the formula though. I'm terrible with mascaras, I must have like 6 open atm coz I tried slowly going through my stash but they all flake on me lol so I'm left with my trusty Moisture Mist mascara, love that thing.

How exciting that you get to try the IT Cosmetics BB cream, Kirsty! Which foundation are you nearly finished now?

Koni! I knew you would hit pan on a highlighter soon enough, how exciting. Although if you're nearly done with the Ambient palette, that has a highlighter in it too! Double sucess! Lol I've given up trying to achieve half the pan that you do...I have 7 foundations left BUT only 4 different kinds as I have a different shades of 2 of the brands so I can mix my right shade...it's definitely better than 30 :P
kirstyj
1732 posts
Nearly finished my Bobbi Brown serum foundation. Reckon I have a week left in it. Packaging really sucks. It is black so the sun doesn't "harm" the skincare ingredients but what it really means is you use the pipette one day and nothing comes out so you end up tipping some out each day... kinda annoyed.
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
I'm about finished my EL ANR & have been substituting it with the Skin foods serum & I gotta say it's quite nice I have another but am gifting it & I'm tempted to keep it. I'm also sad but glad that this week I should have emptied my huge Lancome toner well it's a toner but that's not it's specific name & I recently found out is actually not available in NZ dutyfree only. I want to dog into my Mario Beduschea skincare I've almost finished the mask but haven't started on the regimen set..
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I'm still trying to use up products in my stash and after having a good 3 months with a fair amount of empties to photograph, I don't have a single empty yet for the month of Feb! It's actually a little disappointing, as I really look forward to doing my empties photos and posts at the end of every month. 

I look forward ward to seeing everyone else's empties pics.
shazatron101
5112 posts
I've nearly finished the Moisture Mist emulsion stuff we got in one of the first BRBB's... it's so lovely and just keeps going, and I've been using it daily since I opened it! Do like, and I am considering repurchasing! 

k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Also have been enjoying the Trilogy make up be gone which is near it's end too. The only down for me is the mess left on my flannels but it can be removed with in light soap or makeup brush cleanser by Bossy but who's has time for that lol. I hope to finish a lipstick thsi months empties too. Sorry I should've had mentioned these products first post but they've come to me as I read more posts.
tannygirl
3392 posts
I threw out several empties yesterday. A body cream, body lotion, empty flash lash (that was expensive, sniff), hand lotion, facial moisturizer, almost used up an eye serum, facial serum. Yeah slowly but surely my stash is depleting but not to worry the February beauty box should arrive in about a week. :-)
Macs
5351 posts
Lush Snowfairy, Rose Jam, The Body Shop Plum Soap, Lush Dream Cream is almost done. I need a bag to store my empties in, Moisture Mist Impressive mascaras almost done too. A few more nail polishes. One thing I find hard to pan is lip balm. I have so many of them. Im panning and rehomming make up to make way for staple items I will love. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Oooooh Tannygirl I momentarily forgot about the beauty box in my excitement of seeing new products in Lush today lol. 
Lutece
1849 posts
I never realized how using up empties would be so much fun lol, it sounds like youve got it under control and I like the idea of you using an item up at a time, I am using 5 mud masks and rotating them, I will try and use one up and move on to the next, such a good tip :)
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Mud masks don't get me started lol I'm on 3 now since using some up last month but I use each one twice a week. I'm certain it's got my skin in the restorative condition that it's in. I'm so wanting to get the glam glow silver mask (that's not the actual name) & the origins charcoal mask & intrigued by the bubble mask.
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
For me I use more skincare and shampoo, conditioner and moisturiser products more than I do makeup. However over the past few months I have finished a mascara and hit pan on a foundation. :) I've never really kept track of my empties but I might start just too see what I use most of.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I have a bubble mask I bought in Korea and used it last night. Because it bubbles and smells kinda soapy, I expected it to be drying on my skin like soap. It is more like an enzyme mask though and leaves my skin soft and smooth. And it's fun to use. 
Macs
5351 posts
lilmonmon I had 8 last year then I got two lipbalms for xmas not including whats in my car lol Each one is half started bar one.If I could get through one it would be amazing lol I tried turning one into a lip scrub but I couldn't get the consistency right.
Macs
5351 posts
I have just realised that I havr the same amount of mascaras on the go as you sarah. Why can't I commit to one at a time I dont know. Im hoping to try this mask of Magnimity by Lush this week.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I just finished a escada body wash and moisturiser, kmart face mask and nearly finished 3 shampoos and condtioners I just really need to use the last bits in each.
It doesn't help that those kmart face masks I seem to be able to get 3 goes out of sachet. I could push it to 4 if broke at some point, my tube face masks are never ending or so it seems
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Kirsty, that's the worst! It's so annoying when you can't see how much product you have left. That's like the brow wiz, just one day - nada! You go through foundations so quickly! I'm so envious.

Silvene, those months are frustrating! But I bet you'll have twice as many next month :)
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Slowly but surely. I've decided to keep all mine for the year to gather data on how quickly I use things. I have an almost finished moisturiser, serum, oil cleanser and shampoo. Makeup wise no empties yet so far this year.
kirstyj
1732 posts
I've been loving taking a pic of my empties each month on the photo wall as it allows me to keep track of my empties without having to keep the rubbish pifithrin.

Sarah I'm good with foundation as I only ever use one at a time. By the time I wear it everyday i get through it pretty quick :)
Pifithrin
1243 posts
I would do it monthly but I don't have that many each month. The advantage of keeping them for the year for me is that I will be able to see how many of each product I use over the course of a year and get more meaningful results as such, as some things are finished less than monthly.

Basically I'm a data nerd and don't mind hoarding a bit of rubbish to learn something at the end of it!
Rezee
1964 posts
I write everything in a notebook plus how much it cost a well. I've been doing it since April last year. I never meant to keep going this long but I enjoy doing it and I think it's a good way to show me how long it takes to go through products. 
I used to just chuck as I go but last month I decided to keep them to take a photo for the wall. I definitely wouldn't want to keep a whole years worth though, it would take up a lot of room.
Rajvee2588
221 posts
Beauty empties for me going allright.....i am try to get finish it but still have planty of stock of eyeliner and moisturizer..some of my eyeliner i already throw it.

i don't take a picture of beauty empties beceause really busy with my 6 months daughter.
but after couple of months i 'll be. but i can see empty place in my bathroom and  on dressing table which make me feel happy

whatever i get expense or cheap but i am going to use it and finishe it that's what i decided this year....lets see how's this going in future.
kirstyj
1732 posts
Oh what a cool idea Rezee! I love that but at the same time I am quite happy in my ignorance of how much I am spending on the stuff that I put on my face and body.
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I go through eyeliner quickly so thats several empties. I'm also nearly finished my Rimmel pressed powder with the foundation probably not far behind. My skincare looks like it will last forever though.
Kimrose
1416 posts
I have an old makeup bag to put my empties in. It is so exciting seeing it get full. I get so much make up from work, it almost seems impossible to run out of things. I am trying so hard to use just a selection of things so my empties will increase.

Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
So I finally made my first makeup purchases of the year. I went to an outlet sale thing yesterday coz I need a new mascara and more dry shampoo, but of course they didn't have any dry shampoo or any worthwhile mascaras.

BUT I saw a huge range of City Color cosmetics, which I'd normally never look twice at because it's cheap and a bit of a mystery brand, but I saw a review not long ago on Jessica Braun's (Jambeauty) channel and she loved most of the products. So I got a blush (a purpley shade that I have nothing like - justification!), bronzer and brow pencil. Oops.

But wow the powders are so soft without being powdery, and the brow pencil stays put really well! So if you guys ever see the brand give it a go, they've got contour palettes, blush palettes, liquid highlighters, allsorts! I'm tempted to go back again today haha but I know I've already bought more than I need.

Rezee
1964 posts
Is that one of those be matte blushers? I have one and really like it. Absolutely getting a new colour is perfectly ok! And you need to justify the sale by thinking it won't be there forever and think of all the money you've saved by not shopping at other times!
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Yes that's the one! That's so cool that you've got one and love it too! How awesome are they? I'm a bit worried about how big they are lol but I've wanted a shade like this for the longest time. Yes, I like that justification, plus they're all products I'll definitely be using as the matte bronzer is a suuuper similar shade to my Hoola, and I always needs brows :P
pintsize
1072 posts
I've been a bit absent lately but I am on catch up mode now :D
I just finished my Lush Buche de Noel (won't buy it again),
Comforter shower cream (I need more now!!),
Oxygen eye cream (on the fence on this one)
as well as way too many Bath bombs and bubble bars (Lush and Bossy... and a couple of home made ones too)
Bossy Coffee scrub (already have my backup ready).

I am loving seeing empties on here... I never realised how satisfying it is to list finished products :)

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!