Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Bad unfluences in your life?

35 posts, 30 members
Kelli
73 posts
so today I was talked into making an online purchase from my sister, since she had heard some hype around a highlighting product, but it had not been released... Well today she found out it had been released and totally pressured me into buying one (pressuring is a slight exaggeration lol) 

anyone else have have these bad influences in your life or have I got an enabler for a sister? 
im not sure if it's a blessing or a burden haha
shazatron101
5112 posts
I want to say that the women of BR are enablers... Just because of how they gush over products and I go looking for them, but I don't ever buy them. I think the only thing I've ever been tempted to buy is the Australis contour kit (I still haven't but I'm pining for it). 

I have also been told that I'm an enabler hahaha. If I go shopping with a friend I somehow talk them into buying everything but the kitchen sink (don't ask me how) and I recently did it with Shana_Banana when we went to the amazing candy store after we had lunch together. *evil laughter* but the candy was worth it!
chikoboo
3402 posts
All my girls over on FB, IG and Youtube that I follow, damn they make me lust over things and the next minute I have ordered it.  But I have been told I am as much of an enabler as I am enabled so its balanced karma I guess =)
Macs
5351 posts
I'm not usually one to order offline at all. Lately I have been making purchases influenced by BR,Instagram (Biggest Influence lol), and Facebook. Like Rovie, I'm yet to make a bossy order.
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
Yes I have an enabler she's always banging on buy this buy that oh you need it she always makes me buy things and want things and oh it's a good price and look at that just on and on
i can't get rid off her
ive tried to block her
ive tried to ignore her
she always wins
she lives in my head

EnyaMUA
1109 posts
I'm the bad influence on myself hehe. Women on IG and BR are definitely enablers but I love them anyway <3 Then there's the 2 women that I regularly buy off online... one of them sends me pics of stuff she gets in before putting it up so that I can get dibs... I love it but booooy is it bad for my bank account.
-Bex-
611 posts
BR is definitely an influence. I wouldn't say bad influence (bank account may disagree) but hey it's all good. We all have hobbies and things we like to spend $$ on. None of my friends or family are really into beauty products so never see anyone rave about anything except here and IG
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
BR is a huge influence but is also encouraging me to get out of my comfort zone and also to shop from my stash of make up. 
Marcel
335 posts
By beauty related purchases are influenced quite a lot by what I see here on BR, I wouldn't say it's a bad thing, I've learnt a lot here. Few people I know in 'real life' can relate to the culture shared on BR, I'm always the person whipping beauty products out my handbag trying to convince people that they need it.
Koni
444 posts
Hmmm I wouldn't say bad influence because I'm normally smiling when I press ADD TO CART haha. BR has changed a lot of things for me in a positive light. I'm actually using more of my makeup, trying different looks every week, challenging myself to TRY - BR even gave me the push I needed to start instagram. And then we have the amazing BR beauty enablers - boy they're good they don't miss a new product so I'm guessing that's your sister wooohooo :-)
MareeB
5244 posts
Yep, BR is the enabler for me :) I see lots of thigns and read the reveiws and think "oh yeah, I'd like that..."
trudijoy
8375 posts
woohoo soozie, 200 posts!

BR has enabled me to spend more money but that's because it's widened my horizons for makeup, product, and gotten me really excited about trying to make myself look pretty every day hehe
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
oh yay! So I have! Thanks for pointing out Trudi. Most of my points are coming from the forum. Must get in to doing some reviews!
trudijoy
8375 posts
dual screens, forum and review at the same time ;)
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Haha! I guess I just enjoying chatting at the end of the day. 
AmandaJane
1147 posts
I don't and never have brought any beauty products from a website, mainly because I don't like to use my visa online but also because I like the physical act of shopping for real products.

To me it's a positive because I'm actually looking after myself and caring about my appearance for the first time in over a decade.

In some respects that is because of BR but I can't say I've brought anything because of a review I've read. I did buy some ZA toner and collagen cream recently but that's because I really was sold on the results and the products were trial products from here.

It's all good. I'm being really good actually, limiting myself to what I actually need and there's some products sitting here I've had for at least a month and haven't even opened yet.  

I'm on a bit of a mission as I want to take product photos of the brand spanking new items, not photos of used makeup etc.

I'm going back to uni to finish my design degree (in photography and video) next year, if all goes to plan. Taking the photos is motivated by getting myself some new work for my portfolio. I'm just waiting on getting a new camera and some product lighting equipment.

My old camera is pretty much useless for uni because I've had it so long it's got fungus in the body and the lenses and I'm fed up with trying to edit it out and take shots and having to allow for cropping etc.

At the end of the day I'm not forcing anyone's arm to buy anything when I ramble on the forums about the sales, I'm just trying to save some dosh and pass on the info so other people can too.

Phew / gets off soapbox / lol :)
SandieNZ
424 posts
Hehe, love your comment Koni about smiling when you  press that beautiful 'add to cart' button ;)  I have been 'motivated' to purchase a lot of things based on reviews etc on here, but I love it - afterall, that's what it's about right?!  Luckily for me I don't have a sister fuelling my fire with musthave products though, that really could be disatrous for my paycheck :)
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I figure that there are worse addictions to have and my beauty addiction is not really out of control yet. Give it another few months it might be different. While I'm no stranger to online shopping it was for clothes not beauty products. That being said the card has just had a small work out.
Beauty youtubers mostly. I just can't help myself after seeing some vids...
Danni
324 posts
Definitely youtubers. Particularly British ones :(

Mila
1209 posts
I'm going to have to say BR is the biggest enabler for me and the lovely ladies on here.  There so only so much you can hear about all the wonderful goodies without having to have them yourself !!...

Following the girls on FB and instagram doesnt help either because you see photos of their looks and want to try them yourself :) - you tube is bad for it to. 
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Youtubers would definitely be my biggest influencers, followed closely by Instagram, this includes the BR babes that I follow! I want all the things!
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
Shazatron is totally an enabler or I wouldn't have set foot in that candy store for fear of my waistline expanding even further hehe.  I don't have an enabler apart from her in my life but I find alot of the girls I know off BR tempt me quite a bit with their gorgeous purchases.  I lust over soooo many of their pretties that I end up being in the dog house with my bank account.  But this is my theory.  I have never smoked, I hardly drink so this is my luxery in life.....makeup.  I deserve to have a passion and for me it's beauty.  That is my case closed :P
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Hahahahaha Magpiefi you made me laugh. I think my biggest enablers are youtubers - I am a sucker for seeing a product in action.
Kellyleanne
551 posts
BR is definitely an influencer, when I read great reviews about products i think that the product sounds perfect and I need it in my life.

Also when I watch youtube videos and see a certain lipstick colour they use or a foundation that looks flawless I am tempted! 
The br ladies lol tempting me to buy more when i've never been girly before
Lutece
1849 posts
Ohh it sounds like me and your sisters would be good friends haha!!

BR has been a HUGE enabler in my life but in saying that since BR my decisions on choosing products have been alot more successful comparing to before BR, and normally if I LOVE something I post about it on IG :)
Lutece
1849 posts
And P.S did you end up buying the highlighter? Haha
Kelli
73 posts
Hahaha I love all these enablers! YouTube is a biggy for me so when I'm trying not to spend I tend not to go on there.... It's just to dangerous!! 

I the last few months I have been spending up large I don't know why but I'm blaming my 25th coming up so I'm having a little panic attack (lame I know lol) 

i definately did buy the highlighter haha and a highlighting pen which I never knew existed from that brand but I stopped myself there... Luckily lol.. I've been a rebel lately and self influencing purchasing a few more high end brands into my life and still quite a few more in my sights hopefully it's just a faze and it'll stop soon my bank account is not impressed and won't be able to cope much longer! 
BR has brought many enablers into my life.  And I love it!  From BR members the,selves, BR reviews, FB, IG, blogs, articles....  Isn't it great  :-) x
100_percent_ash
488 posts
So many bloody enablers I've met (is that the right word when you haven't actually met in the flesh just online?) through BR. I'd actually weaned myself off my makeup addiction and had got down to a respectable level. Eyeliners have always been my downfall. Pre-BR I was solidly on the wagon. These days I'm back to owning 13 at last count. Damn you EOH!
astylecollector
204 posts
It used to be just Youtubers and bloggers but now I have you BR ladies too. Since joining BR, I've realised I have sooo many products left to try and I want to buy them all.
kirstysays
762 posts
Yip...BR is my biggest influence because I trust others experiences with a product so much more than advertising hype and the like.  It is a little damaging to my bank balance at times, but, I have found some amazing holy grail products through you lovely ladies....thank god I don't have a siste enabling me...that would be very dangerous haha.
MissQT
1547 posts
BR has been both a good and bad influence. I'm so grateful to be part of this lovely BR community as I have learnt heaps, and I've been exposed to a lot more brands and products. However this has encouraged me to spend more!
tannygirl
3392 posts
BR is very convincing if you feel you need the product. If it's natural skincare the ingredients list does a good job of convincing me. BR is where my research on the product begins, I also find that the more I stare at the product online and fill carts the more I figure I need it. Geez, I guess I am my own enabler!

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!