Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Allergic reactions to cosmetics.

26 posts, 17 members
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I'm curious, in the past year I have had severe out breaks of hive's in which I am now being sent to a dermatologist for to see what the cause might be.

I've been told it maybe 'contact allergy dermatitis' which is causing the outbreaks. But you can just imagine how difficult it is to figure out what is causing them. I can do patch tests at home for shower gels, cosmetics etc but the dermatologist obviously will cover a wider spectrum.

I'm just wondering, is anyone here allergic to their cosmetics or body washes? And if so what ingredient or what does it to you.

At this point it could be anything for me from what I consume to what I put on my skin, it's even been suggested it might be the carpet. I'd love feed back on cosmetics and shower stuff as that's what I'll test for at home :)
shazatron101
5112 posts
Yup! I broke out in a rash around my eyes using Essano, so I've since stopped but something is still causing it (quite possibly the eye serum I'm using). no idea what the ingredient is that's doing it, and I didn't go to a dermatologist either, but it sucks doesn't it! It didn't happen when I was on the pill, it's only just started doing it, annoyingly. Never mind. I hope it clears up for you soon lovely x
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I don't have sensitive skin, so I very rarely have a reaction to a product, but I did have a reaction to Essano's Night Cream.  I ended up with a rash right across my jaw, from ear to ear.  Thankfully it went away a week after I stopped using the cream.  

I hope you manage to find the cause.  Contact Dermatitis hives are so itchy!  I get them from the agapanthus plants in our garden (I'm allergic to the sap) and the only thing that helps soothe the hives and itch is Aloe. Swisspers Aloe Everything Balm reduces the hives on my arms & legs overnight and Aloe Gel (I have an after sun gel with Aloe in it) has worked on my neck & jaw where I didn't want to put vaseline-like Balm. 
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Interesting that Essano has cause an outbreak for you guys! One product I haven't tried and might avoid lol.

Thanks for the positveness! I'm on steroids, antihestimines and have a cream to try help, I've been to the doctor twice in 2 days now due to my reaction (to what ever it is) covering my face and being in my ears last night!. I stared reacting a year ago and get an outbreak once a month at least! The only new thing I started to use and constantly use is LUSH! Scary thought if that what I'm breading out over hahaha.

I'll do patch tests with the other products I use on the regular basis and see if I react to any thing before I see the dermatologist.
tannygirl
3392 posts
I'm allergic to bismuth oxychloride so I have to be careful when it comes to mineral foundations and stuff. My skin was itchy and burning within 10 minutes of putting on Antipodes mineral foundation which has as one of the first ingredients on the list. I haven't had any reactions to their translucent powder since it's not in there. 

I do try to limit and avoid some SLS in bodywashes and soap and stuff it really dries out my skin, but I do use cleansers and washes with it in it from time to time and get blotchy skin after showering which I need to apply balm or salve on to calm my skin down otherwise I'm all itchy. 
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Not being allergic to anything at present in general. I still get strange reactions to some products like the goodness cream cleanser sometimes feels like it is drilling into my skin but the next use is fine and no worries.
Amy I hope you get it to a more managable level soon and really hope it doesn't include the cream being used on a daily basis forever as I suspect it is probably hydrocortisone cream. Unfortunately it has reeked havoc on her skin but she was constant use 15 plus years with ezcema, no doubt your treatment is very different from hers. You may also notice I said managable level as this could be a case of once you have it, it never leaves but you can lessen effects on your life.
Diary everything at present food, laundry, hand cream, hairdye etc because something may not set off on your hands but it could set off on your face. Start with the SLS and SLAS as sulphates that like to cause problems as do parabens or other preservatives. It could even be your brush cleaner if not rinsed properly.
I would start at http://www.dermnetnz.org/ website of New Zealand Dermatological Society as they break down each part.
Macs
5351 posts
Oh no thats not good. I hope it's not the lush fingers crossed. I wouldn't have a clue how to track allergies. 

Sometimes out of the blue I might be allergic.  I used a face mask from Freemans it gave me a bright red face. I often forget to do skin tests with products.
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
My skin has times when it is quite sensitive to things but then the its fine the next day. Good luck.
trudijoy
8375 posts
a friend of mine ages ago had super sensitive skin so used soothing products with aloe vera and chamomile... turns out she was allergic to both!

I highly recommend also visiting a naturopath, who can test for allergens using a reaction test that involves you holding small vials of things and then being tested. They did this for me when I was 13, turns out I had puberty onset allergies to things I'd been able to have before (in my case, dairy and nightshades - potato and tomato in particular). Detoxed, cleansed things from my system for a few months and began to reintroduce them when I'd been asymptomatic for a while and i was as good as new again.

Mum gets hives from tamarillos, and chlorine, but I don't think i've ever had hives myself. I wonder if chicken pox remedies like baking soda bathing would help?

Good luck hon x
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
My allergies landed me in hospital today, thankfully they didn't keep me in. I had severely broken out this morning and my partner took me to the go where I struggled to stay awake.
I'm anemic and they think because of that my body is struggling to fight off the allergic reaction this time around.....I now seriously can't wait for the dermatologist appt to find out hopefully what I'm allergic too!
MareeB
5239 posts
Oh no! I really feel for you Amy! I hope you get it sorted out soon.
MissQT
1547 posts
oh dear Amy that sounds awful! I have sensitive skin but I don't know what I'm allergic to ingredient wise. I have reacted to a few Lush products in the past. My skin is more sensitive after my shower, and at one stage whatever I put on my face after my shower (cream, lotion, oils of various brands) I reacted to. So I think I'm not really allergic to a specific ingredient it's just the fact that my skin is sensitive.

i also have hayfever and sinuses and get hives when I eat certain new season fruit (due to the pollen on the fruit). Because of my hayfever I'm allergic to dust and animal fur.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Amy you poor thing! I hope you get it under control. I have the same issue. But it seems to be different things everytime. Cherry tomatoes set me off real bad last weekend. Also certain brands of washing powder. I put coconut oil on mine and and helps with the itch. it is a process of elimination...keeping a diary definately helps :-)
trudijoy
8375 posts
AMY oh my gosh. Look after yourself x
MissQT
1547 posts
I forgot to also mention that once I get hives/eczema it helps to keep your skin moisturised and like Trudi suggested chicken pox remedies also work. I use pinetarsel (I think that's how you spell it) in the shower (you can also use it in the bath). It's a yellow solution which has a strong smell, but you spray in on your skin and I let it sit there for as long as I can without putting it in direct contact with water until I rub it in and rinse off. I don't use soap I just use that and then pay my skin dry gently with a towel. Oddly finish dish washing powder also works, it somehow kills some of the hives. I just dissolve it in hot water and then rub over the hives.

but hopefully your dermatologist finds a solution for you.
siouxsannah
261 posts
 Hi Amy,
Sorry to see you have been having such a terrible time.
There is a common preservative found in many body washes, shampoos, and moisturisers that causes an allergic reaction in about 10% of people. The rash often looks like contact dermatitis. It may be what is giving you such grief. It has quite a few chemical names such as MI and 2-Methyl, but is most commonly listed as methylisothiazolinone and methylchloroisothiazolinone. I suggest checking all your products for that and avoiding the ones that contain it and see if your rash clears up.
I hope you get well soon.
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Awww Amy I hope you're feeling alot better today & that you find what it is that causes your reaction x
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Sadly I am allergic to lots of items especially things like foundations, sunscreens, moisturisers. Its really annoying actually especially when you see rave reviews about certain brands, one in particular being Mac but I'm highly allergic to them and break out badly.  I can't wear anything with talcs or perfumes in the products.  Thats way I tend to buy only mineral and natural type products.  Sunscreen is a really bad one too, its hard to find one that doesn't break me out unfortunately.  

I totally sympathise with you on this hun, I really hope you find out what is causing it x
Macs
5351 posts
I was talking to my partner about this . Funny thing my partners allergic to all body oils except Lush Massage Bars. 

I hope you get well soon x

Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I unfortunately am no closer to finding out as to what I'm allergic too! Wahhhh. It hadn't been a very good week. I have to keep taking the steroids and anti hestimates till I see the dermatologist but have to return to the hospital if I break out all over my face again due to the respitory risk. Back to the doctors on Monday about my Iron and maybe some pushing to get into the dermatologist appt asap. Thanks ladies xx
MissQT
1547 posts
And speaking of hives i now have a few. So far it's not too bad and I don't have any on my face thankfully. I have been eating fruit so I now need to narrow it down to which fruit caused the reaction!
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Aghhh MissQT I definitely feel for you, I used to have bad reactions to kiwifruit :(
Imoshen
461 posts
Completely out of the blue but have you been eating strawberries?  I broke out in a rash on my cheeks one year from that and had to take steroids to help clear it up.
MissQT
1547 posts
Yes strawberries was one of the fruits I was eating and it is possibly causing the reaction as I've had reactions to strawberries in the past. However I have also had reactions to other fruit (it can really be any fruit for me as it depends on the pollen still on the fruit). I was eating strawberries two weeks prior and had no reaction, but it could've taken a while to break out.
Kaley
8 posts
I hadn't had any allergic reaction cause by cosmetics until I tried mascara Maybeline LashSensation. The lashes looked great, I liked the result, but in a few hours my eyes started to hurt and became red. I had used Maybeline for several years, but this was the first product I had reaction for. The consultant in a shop told me that the reason could be in different oils which this mascara contained.
Amy, that sounds awful! I hope you get on top of this soon!

I occasionally react to things, but I don't know which ingredients cause the problem. I reacted to one of the Dermalogica eye creams and I can't use the Body Shop chamomile eye makeup remover (which is supposed to be super gentle!). 

My sister gets eczema and hives and she finds that a product will be fine for a while, then suddenly she starts reacting to it. It's strange. 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!