Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

A couple of questions about reviews

44 posts, 25 members
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Hope it's ok to start this thread but I've got a couple of questions and thought this might be useful exercise.

I've been wondering, is it ok to do reviews on product samples if you've been using them for more than a week or so and have formed a short term opinion on the actual product itself? Or do you wait until you have brought the full product before you place a review?

I was thinking you can't actually talk about the packaging design and that is an important part of the review to me. Although I am au fait with how these Plantae products are dispensed I've only been using their sample size 'envelopes' (of which I have a few) so that's why I have that question.

Also, 

When you ask for products to be listed in the database how long does it generally take for that to happen? 

:)

Macs
5351 posts
Thats a good question Amanda. I've reviewed a sample before, but I've wondered, is it ok?
Mila
1209 posts
I'm not sure if theres any right or wrong answer here in terms of rules of reviews or anything but I think it kind of depends. 

I generally like to really trial a product quite well before I review it so I like to use it for at least a week to see how it works for me in different circumstances or applications etc..

In that instance if it was a sample say a sachet of something I wouldnt review that as you'd probably only get one or two uses out of it. 

But I have reviewed things where I havent bought the full product for instance I bought both The Benefit Benetint and Posie tint which I paid for but they were smaller size than the full product so the packaging is a little different but theres plenty of product to try and review.

Thats just my own thoughts on it :)

chikoboo
3402 posts
I have always emailed BR when it comes to samples as it is a bit of a tricky one I think.  If it is a long tested sample, i.e a week or so applications that you can gauge the product fairly then I have been allowed to post a review on a sample.  However when you get to one time only use samples like those foil sachet samples of shampoo or foundations that you can only gauge once how well it performed then I wouldn't think that would be a fair assumption of that product as some need time for your skin/hair to adjust to them.   If in doubt the babes don't mind an email, if you haven't contacted them before there is a contact us section in the footer of every page =)
Pifithrin
1243 posts
I agree with the others - I have reviewed deluxe samples (as they are known) before and will continue to do so. Some samples have lasted me months of use (eye creams for example). Single use foil sachets I don't review. I usually mention in a review whether the product was a deluxe sample, GWP etc anyway for transparency.
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Thanks ladies. I've been using the Vanilla Bean Day Cream and the Sea Buckthorn Berry Night cream for nearly two weeks now and I use it with two of their products that I do own so I have a kind of overall view of how they work together too.

I was fortunate as I was given a fair few samples when I brought those products and I must say their creams do go a very long way. I'm  nowhere near run out of them yet either.

I dunno, I was just a bit undecided. I really like the products but I won't rave about them here :)

AmandaJane
1147 posts
Transparency is everything, that's kind of why I started this thread :) I want to be certain and as I can't review their normal packaging I suppose it wouldn't be a complete review.
Pifithrin
1243 posts
With packaging, it depends on the sample. A lot of deluxe samples I have at home (mainly Clarins and Clinique from GWP) have identical packaging to the full size product, just smaller versions. I don't consider packaging to be as integral to the review process as how the product performs - more an addition to the experience (good or bad).
trudijoy
8375 posts
Turnaround on a product sent out for review by BR is about a week so I work on a week for a daily use product and a month for weekly use ones. I think that as long as you have used it enough to be able to write a review that is genuine, justified and clear then it's a judgement call
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Yeah mini sizes can come in neat smaller size bottles/tubes etc, like the Antipodes anti-ageing minis and such like. I want to get the other set too, just to try out more of their products. Loving the NZ organic market atm. There's some great deals going around on GWP's.
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Totally agree with what everyone else is saying. Deluxe samples are perfect for reviewing i think because they last long enough for you to form an opinion on them. As for samples that arent deluxe, some are still really generous, but i dont bother about reviewing ones that only last a couple of uses because it just wouldnt provide me with enough to write a good review. Great question aswell by the way :)
AmandaJane
1147 posts
That's a really good call Trudi, ty. I do have a well rounded opinion of these two products. It's the judgement call I wasn't sure about so wanted to check it out first :)

binary beauty - thanks for your thoughts too. I wouldn't review a single use product either and in the few reviews I've written about larger sized samples I've mentioned it too. 

Hmm I'm on my tablet because its storming here atm. Its taking a while to reply :)
Macs
5351 posts
Theres an email, I know when kellie said to email her about something I've forgotten but I didn't know where it was. I was a bit shy to ask lol
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Fair enough Macs, I'm shy too. Even using a profile photo bothers me until I get used to it.

I'll see if I can find the email I've used before too. I was thinking this might be a good idea to post so we all know the answer, as it were. Not that I doubt anyone, it's just a question that popped to mind :)
I've also wondered the same thing as we are trying the samples. and mostly it lets me deciede if I love or dislike the product so therefore i thought we could (even though I haven't yet
Head Pixie
569 posts
I'm popping up! (And yes I wrote that to the Diana Ross tune)

Sorry to not get back to you sooner I've been working on an article that I've veeeeeeery excited about! 

The ladies were onto it (as usual *sparkly pixie kisses*). The key thing is you've had to have had a proper test of it - which is why we ask that you own the perfumes you review as a whiff at the perfume counter is not the same as repeated use. Obviously some samples aren't going to cut the mustard on that front, but other deluxe samples will. 

There's also an article here on how to make sure your reviews rock, which talks about how long you should be testing things for.

And, sweet peas, don't ever feel to shy to email us, we love hearing from you and being able to help xxxx ([email protected] or [email protected])
AmandaJane
1147 posts
I'm glad it's not just me Kellzbelz :)

Thanks Kellie, that's cleared that up. I was wondering how to find that article, I remember reading it before.

Righto, now I wanna know what the new article is about hehe ;)
First Lady
957 posts
Head Pixie, is it the article? I've been trying to be really patient and not ask about it! xox
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Ohh tease, lol :)
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
The article which finally tells us when the new BRBB will be released?!?! *waits hopefully in the corner*
Head Pixie
569 posts
It's not about the BRBB - but it's about something really amazing, life-changingly so. So yes Head Lady it is that article. ;) xo
shazatron101
5112 posts
Is it another update on how the iGlide zap zap thing is going?? I'd love to see another update :-)
Head Pixie
569 posts
One more thing regarding reviewing samples - if you're reviewing a deluxe sample could you also please mention that it's a deluxe sample and mention where you got it from too?

Thank you :) xx
Kellyleanne
551 posts
That's very intriguing, can't wait to find out more!
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Ooo I'm excited! Is it about a meet up? :) haha, I'm so intrigued!
Danni
324 posts
 That article huh? Why you do this?!
Kellyleanne
551 posts
Haha...do tell us more ;-)
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Great thread.
I personally get annoyed when you can tell someone has used a sample once or twice or even said they tried it at a counter or friends. I find those reviews are written for points and not helpfulness
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Wow do some people seriously review things they have only tried at a counter? That is poor form. How on earth can they review them?
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Sure do or did. Then some of us discovered what the report button was for. The review is looked at, if it doesn't meet the BR standards, the person gets a email asking them to review their review. Hope I've worded that right
accidentprone_x
845 posts
I have reviewed samples like the garnier moisturisers because I had a bad reaction to it and wanted to share that on BR. the garnier blur primer is also another one but I did get like ten sample satchets.
chikoboo
3402 posts
Life changing and not the BRBB *raises an eyebrow* a national day of BR, where all members can take a "get out of jail card" from their work commiments for 24 blissful hours!

Or simply status change information because actually that is freaking life changing *bites nails - hahaha what nails!!*
Macs
5351 posts
Thank you head pixie. What could it be?
bronjenks
253 posts
What a great thread, I've often wondered about samples too but figured as long as I'd used it for a week or so should be ok, and looks like it is so yay!  
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Hmmm, interesting Dr Holmes, very interesting ;)
sam_clarkson
205 posts
oohhhh am waiting rather (im) patiently for this arcticle now, 

glad this sample question was asked aswel as I waas just thinking i wanted to review something but have not purchased it myself as yet
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
Everyone else has already covered it, but I think you should feel comfortable writing a review if you feel that you've formed a fair opinion on it. Even if I own a full sized product, I may not use the full product before forming an opinion on it. Depending on a product, I usually know what I think after a week, although sometimes I will try using something a few different ways if it hasn't worked out well. xx
trudijoy
8375 posts
I think it's also worth noting that (to me anyway)  not being 100% sure about a product *IS* having an opinion on it, as long as you explain your thinking both ways and give the people reading your review all the detail you have.

I think sometimes people think they have to either love or hate to review, and I personally think middle of the road reviews are fine especially if the reviewer has given detail about their own hair/skin etc and you can work out form their results what may or may not happen when it's used on you.

AmandaJane
1147 posts
Sam - I was nervous about starting this thread, seems like it helped a few ppl :)

Chelsea - I agree, a week is generally enough to form an opinion. Two weeks at the most if it's something I've never used before and I want to see the longer term results :)

Trudi - I agree with you too, a middle of the road balanced review has far more import in my decisision making process than a black and white kind of review. The background info is really helpful actually. I must remember to add that more often, or rather in more depth maybe. :)
Kimrose
1416 posts
Kellie, you good thing, always keeping us guessing! Can't wait.
Jesse
745 posts
Yeah I agree about having an opinion on products you review, I've had full-size products I still have no idea what to write about then deluxe samples I can go on and on about. 
ragingfrog
1289 posts
As I write my stuff in word, when I open the product/get it I write a bit then, after first use I write a bit more and then again after several weeks/uses of the product. That way I don't have to think too hard remembering my first thoughts and if scented if I grew used to it or it continued to annoy me.
MrsLissy
301 posts
Ahhh Nat and Kellie you torture us so......... I love the suspense but also hate not knowing things!! I'm super excited to see 'The article' though!
MissAimeeJean
267 posts
I am verrrry excited to find out about this mysterious article!

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!