Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Serum vs Oil - Which one do you prefer?

12 posts, 9 members
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Hey lovelies,

With all this talk about serums and oils etc, what do you lovelies prefer to use?

I have dry skin and prefer to use an oil but have been using both a serum and an oil from Trilogy and always wondered what the difference is. One is more a moisturiser base and the other an actual oil.  

So what purpose do both serve as I've always wondered that. I could research and look into it myself but would prefer to hear from you lovelies as to what your prefer or what works for you.
JessB
219 posts
I always thought that serums were more for firming and plumping, whereas oil is hydrating (so I guess plumping also) but also healing. 
JessB
219 posts
Though I may be wrong, as that's just an off-the-top-of-my-head understanding :P 
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I could be wrong but I think serums are more of a targeted treatment meant to penetrate deeper into the dermal layers and are often water based for that reason. Facial oils are more add more surface moisture than a serum because they are more occlusive although they can target skin issues just like serums especially dryness. That being said alot of serums are comprised of oils  to work synergistically to target multiple issues. 

tannygirl
3392 posts
   I like to use both, especially during winter I really need to use a facial oil. And I find I can target more issues in one skincare routine. I apply quite a few layers of different serums since discovering the Ordinary so I go for lighter facial oils these days since everything takes awhile to absorb.
KiwiLass
174 posts
I prefer serum for my face, and oils for neck, decollectage, and the back of my hands (which really are weather beaten, but also really improving with the added love!). I'm just not fond of the feelign of oils sitting on my face. Having said that, there are some great ones out now that absorb more rapidly and end up feeling more like a serum. 
Agree with others that serums are designed to penetrate deeper under the dermal layers to really target aging skin issues, like lines and wrinkles, sun and aging spots, and to help plump thinning skin. 
Though some oils can also do that, from what I understand.....
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I found that this video answered all the questions that I had about serums vs oils, and when to use which.  She's a little nervous in front of the camera, so stutters a bit, but all the info is there.
MareeB
5239 posts
I like them both and use them both, but probably use more oils volume wise. I have dry skin so I'm up for anything hydrating and have found oils that are good and bad and serums that are good and bad. For me, it's been more about type and brand really.
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Thanks everyone, will definitely check out that video though xx
Macs
5351 posts
I just watched that video . That pretty much answered that well. Thank you for sharing. I didn't know that.
MissQT
1547 posts
I prefer serums as I have oily skin and find that oils take too long to absorb into my skin.
Julieal
915 posts
I use a serum at night as I believe it is more for cell building and oil regularly during day as I have a very dry skin.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!