Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Warning re: acrylic nails

9 posts, 4 members
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Admin, please delete if I am not allowed to post this.

I would just like to warn the ladies on BR who have acrylic nail enhancements done, to please check that your nail technician is qualified and has a valid Health Licence displayed (Health Licenses apply to Auckland only, I don't think other councils have rolled this out yet).

Last week, I saw an article in our local paper about a nearby nail salon being fined for using an illegal, highly toxic substance for sculpting acrylic nails.

To briefly give you an idea of what's what, methyl methacrylate (MMA) is a cheap, nasty, toxic substance that causes acrylic powder to bond and set like concrete.  Not only are MMA fumes highly toxic, but MMA can cause eye and skin irritation, drowsiness, dizziness and permanent nail damage, leading to deformed nails.  It is extremely difficult to get off and trying to remove MMA creates a whole different set of problems, including toxic vapours, toxic dust, extreme nail damage and taking between two to four hours to remove it!

MMA is illegal in NZ and most salons don't use it for that reason, but there are still the odd few out there who try to cut costs by importing monomer containing MMA, instead of using the safer but more expensive monomer containing EMA (ethyl methacrylate).  FYI, monomer is the name of the liquid that is used when sculpting acrylic nails.

That is why the cost of acrylic enhancements can vary so widely.  Cheap, toxic, very smelly MMA monomer = cheaper nail enhancements.  Expensive, safe, less smelly EMA monomer = more expensive enhancements.  Cheap prices won't always mean that the salon is using illegal product, it could just be that they're sourcing a cheap brand of nail product and importing in bulk.

If you're worried at all about your nail technician and what he/she is using on your nails, please ask to see their qualifications or health license.  As a customer, you have the right to request to see these.  They should be openly displayed anyway.  Secondly, ask to see the list of ingredients on the monomer bottle.  You have a right to know what is being put on your nails.  If there is no ingredient list on the bottle, this usually means that it has either been decanted from a bigger bottle (and you should be able to look at the large bottle) or it is a shady product and they're trying to hide something.  If they refuse to show you the product list, don't let them touch your nails and get out of there as fast as you can!

I'm not trying to scare anyone with this post.  Knowledge is power.  I just want you ladies to please be safe.  It's your health that's being put at risk with the toxic fumes, risk of contact with your skin and extreme damage to the natural nail from this toxic substance.
MareeB
5239 posts
That sounds horrendous Silvene!
RamblingRose
1280 posts
It is, Maree.  I feel so sorry for the ladies who have had acrylic nails done with MMA in that salon.  
Macs
5351 posts
That's good to know. I'm an acrylic nail virgin. Never had it done before. I might screen shot , so I can remember when I have my first set done.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Macs, if you don't mind me asking, why are you considering getting acrylics? 

If it's for strength, try finding a salon that does IBX Treatment.  It's a treatment that strengthens & repairs natural nails from within the nail plate. Gel polish is then applied on top.

If it's for added length, consider LED Hard Gel. It's sculpted the same way as acrylic but is more flexible than acrylic.  It's also a better option for nail biters, as breaking the nail biting habit is difficult and saliva causes acrylic to lift. 

There are lots of factors that your nail tech should take into account when you ask for acrylic enhancements ... your job could affect them too.  Hairdressers can't wear acrylic nails because there hands are in water often, a job that requires lots of typing could cause acrylic enhancements to loosen, start lifting or pop off, etc. 

Macs
5351 posts
I'll remember that. Yeah just wanted to try it once. There's no way I'd get it done regularly. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Acrylics aren't something you can really just do once. You need to keep getting them filled or get them removed. I regret the couple of times I had them years ago. Strengthening and gel polish sounds a much better option. 
Macs
5351 posts
I've had my eyes on this lady on instagram. She's expensive but her designs are unique and modern. I'd love to try her services. At the moment I'm just diy at home. You have a good point soozie.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
If you want to try find a reputable nail tech or beauty salon in your area that offers a specific product or treatment (IBX to strengthen nails or hard gel instead of acrylic, gel polish, etc), this directory listing lists qualified professionals only and is accessible by the public.  

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!