Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Lip Liner Hellllppp!!

15 posts, 12 members
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I have never worn lipstick before, i know the shock the horror haha
I really want to get into wearing lipstick and have been looking into different shades but im really curious, do u need lip liner?? if so how do you know what shades to get?! It's all a little overwhelming to be honest!
chloednz
217 posts
I tend to wear liner only if I am wearing quite a bold lip, so that I get a nice crisp line and also to ensure it doesnt bleed into any fine lines. Also it can help with longevity if you line and fill your lips prior to applying a lippy. Generally when I am wearing a more natural color or am in a rush I just chuck the lipstick on on my way out the door. All depends on your personal preferences really :)
In terms of shades as a starter you could grab a nude, a pink and a red, depending on what shades of lipstick you would wear most often.
chikoboo
3402 posts
If you have nicely shaped lips that don't bleed lipstick into the surrounding skin of your lips then no you probably don't need a lip liner.  Lip liners are designed to shape your lips into a more defined shape and to act as a barrier for lipsticks to not run off of your lips and into the skin.  They can also be used as a lip primer, by filling the whole lips in to have a base for a lipstick so that the colour stays true.  As a base for gloss so it stays on longer, and also to help anchor the lipstick to your lips. 

I would recommend a nude/neutral lip liner that is versatile for many shades of lipsticks if you are new to the lip liner world and then start your collection up from there.  Using a shade close to your own skin tone means that you can wear it with any shade and avoids the need to buy a different colour for every single lipstick that you own (I have NYX wonder pencil in the fair shade, also doubles as a spot concealer too so yay for that).  Alternatively some brands have a clear lip liner that does all of the above but without leaving a colour so you can again use it with any lipstick (of which I believe Art Deco have a good one).   Keep an eye out for pack deals too, like Chi Chi recently with their pack of eye gel liners, some brands do that with lip liners (Chi Chi do but I haven't seen it any place but on their website) to get a good collection of colours.  Once you have played around you'll find what suits you best and what you feel comfortable with.

Hope that helps =)
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I have a very thin lip, so thought a Lip liner might help fill them out a bit :)
Thanks Ladies for the tips!
Chikoboo Im unsure if the lipstick will bleed as i've actually never worn lipstick before so I'll watch out for that. I Picked up the Sax Deep plum in the beauty vault so will be the first colour I experiment with.
I always remember vividly as a child my Mum wearing this very dark brown lip colour but she would start with a brown shisedo lip liner first, so thats where my curiosity stems from.
I guess i wont know if I need lipliner till I try Lipstick, thanks for the advice! :)
Macs
5351 posts
Hi there, I agree with chikoboo for a nude lip liner. For a start for lipsticks usually have one nude, one red, one bold (dark colour), one pink. I started off wearing pink nudes. Go with what your comfortable with. Collecting them over time is fun.
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Thanks Macs, I shall start collecting a nude, a bold, a pink and a red for my collection of Lipsticks I intend to get x
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
If you want to just grab one lipliner and have a Farmers near you that stocks Essence cosmetics I highly suggest this. There is one by Maybelline too that I find on Splashstore. I find it easier just to have a transparent lipliner, unless I want to actually change up the shade of a lipstick. 
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
I personally often skip lip liner as I don't mind topping up my lipstick during the day. Lip liner is used to create a sharp liner, help lipstick to last longer, and stop feathering/bleeding (where the lipstick 'leaks' out of the lipline). Because you are new to lipstick, I would strongly suggest having a look at the Maybelline Colour Drama Velvet Lip Pencils (there are reviews on this site). They can be worn as a lip liner with a lipstick over the top, or worn on their own. They are very affordable, easy and quick to apply. I've been wearing lipstick for years and I use these almost every day. Have fun! 
kirstyj
1732 posts
I sometimes like lip liner just to change the colour of the lipstick I like on top. Also it does make things stay longer. Good to play with, but not essential :)
Pifithrin
1243 posts
I often wear just lipliner on it's own - then again I am pretty low maintenance. You can't go wrong with a good nude one, of which I think Chi Chi and Rimmel both make good affordable ones.
MissQT
1547 posts
chickoboo has provided a good explanation. I often just wear a clear lip liner if I do wear one. I like using a lip liner because it makes my lipstick last longer and prevent bleeding. I love ELFs lip lock and seal. It has a waxy type texture but it makes my lipstick last pretty much all day.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Go for a transparent lip liner or one that matches your lip colour. If you do use a coloured lip liner make sure to colour in your lips completely with it as it looks a little weird when your lipstick comes off and you have a coloured line around the outside of your lips.
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Thanks for all the advice ladies, I'm going to have a read through some reviews this morning of Lip liners and while I'm out and about today i might just happen to stumble across a nude one to add to the start of my collection xx
Julieal
915 posts
Take it slowly and just buy a med shade lipstick to start with .Onceyou are happy with wearing lipstick then get your self a lipliner. Good on you.
AmyPearl777
11 posts
I agree with everyone above about getting a nude lip liner to start with, and as a lipstick I can recommend the Maybelline 14HR Super Stay ones as I can 100% tell you that they will last the distance and not bleed (and won't dry out your lips.) I have one in a plum colour and I need MOAR.
Cool name, by the way. -laughs-

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!