Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

The hunt for a new mascara!

24 posts, 9 members
shazatron101
5112 posts
Hey all!
So while I'm in love with the Better than Sex mascara from Too Faced, a little voice inside my head is wondering "but what if there's a better one out there?". So I'm keen to hear, what are your favorite mascara brands?
I'm super interested in trying the ones from Tarte - so if anyone has please let me know your experience as there are no mascaras listed in the BR Directory for Tarte. Thanks :-D Also, bonus points if they come in minis :P
trudijoy
8375 posts
My favest fave is Urban Decay perversion... and it comes in a mini
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I really enjoyed the mini I got of Benefit Roller Lash and would use it again. I hate They're Real though. 

Trudi, I need to grab me a mini of the UD one from "you know where" lol
trudijoy
8375 posts
Soozie RollerLash and BadGal Lash are my other faves but I know Shaz isn't a fan ;)

Def go the perversion mini. I only ever buy minis as I bin them every 3 months

#beautyloop :p
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I definitely think minis are the way to go for mascara. I do find them some of them a bit awkward to use but not so with Rollerlash. 

I just need to use my other opened mascaras first then yeah.....#beautyloop. Lol. 
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
My favourite mascara is probably maybelline's one by one (the waterproof version). It's surprisingly good at holding the curl in my eyelashes and beats every other mascara I've tried. Sadly though I can't find it anywhere in store now.

I love the idea of mini mascara but where on earth does everyone buy them? I've gotten deluxe samples with online orders but never seen them actually for sale.
KiwiLass
174 posts
I have super fine lashes, and wear mascara almost everyday, so for me it's really important that the mascara actually nourishes my lashes and prevents breakage. I very rarely wear waterproof mascara because it's too harsh on my lashes (but when I do, it's usually the latest Za one with fibers). 
So I have found this one  by Physicians Formula gives excellent volume and length, while also being really nourishing. It's not waterproof, but is water resistant and seems to last the day. I use that on my top lashes for the length and volume, then on the bottom lashes I use Eyes of Horus, which is also super nourishing. It just doesn't give me as much length and volume as I'd like on my top lashes, but is perfect for the tricky, fine bottom lashes.
In the past I've also enjoyed using Benefet Roller lash and Lancomb's Hypnose. But like I say, I do find my lashes thin out and break more often with using other mascaras on a daily basis, but not so with EoH and Physicians.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Charmmy kitty- Sephora or Mecca Maxima usually
shazatron101
5112 posts
Lol well I haven't tried Rollerlash so I can't say if I like it or not :P But yeah, I hated the They're Real mascara too.

I've got EoH (it is a bit out of date now though) but I wasn't wowed by it either - it would have been perfect for lower lashes! I do however still use the wand to help brush through other mascaras I have :P

I wouldn't mind UD I don't think, I've not tried anything of theirs... And dang! the bottle for Physicians Formula looks awesome!

Thanks ladies, all things will be researched after dinner :D 

trudijoy
8375 posts
Oh my bad, thought you hated them in general lol. RollerLash is awesome too
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I don't wear mascara that often as I find most irritate me.  Some I have used in the past have left my eyes stinging, red and sore.  I have been trying the fibre lashes at the moment but not sure what I think of them to be honest.  

Hope you find one you really like hun x
Macs
5351 posts
I haven't found my holy Grail. I just finished my Elizabeth Arden Grand Entrance now I'm onto Loreal Manga Eyes Mascara. Would love to try all those mascaras metioned . 
KiwiLass
174 posts
Mum of 3 Munchkins, my eyes are sensitive to mascara too, and the wrong formula makes them itchy and red. EoH is kinder to them, as is the Physicians Formula one (great for the price I reckon!).
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
That is good to know, thanks hun.

My Mum has the same skin sensitivity as me and she bought the Natio one from Farmers but its not been kind to her eyes unfortunately.  She also has been trying the fibre lashes as she has blonde eyelashes and usually has to get them tinted.  I gave her a Nutrimetics mascara for Mother's Day but it started to irritate her so I told her to throw it away. I also can't wear it. 
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
Oh thanks Trudi! I've never noticed it I might have a good look next time I'm in the christchurch mecca.

shazatron101
5112 posts
So because I can't help myself, and I know I'll just keep pining after the Tarte ones, I bought a mini. It comes in a set, which is cheaper to get than the mini by itself (makes soooo much sense!?!?!) so I'll get to try several products of theirs at once!!

But, I'm still interested in any and all minis so it's not the end of my quest yet :P
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
That's perfect logic ;) Always buy sets because you're saving money and a penny saved is a penny earned, right? What other things came in the set?
trudijoy
8375 posts
I had Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes and I found it really dry and crumbly and odd. I had a mini from a kit that also had a lipstick and a blush in it; I wondered if it was a bit old, perhaps.

Hopefully you have better luck; I've heard other people rave about it!
shazatron101
5112 posts
Oh really Trudi? That sucks :/ I hope that's not the case, but then again when it comes to mascaras we are on the opposite spectrums :P

Charmmy, there's a BB cream, blush, the mascara, a mist, cleansing gel and a moisturizer. The packaging for it is sooo funky as well. I am quite excited for it :D
shazatron101
5112 posts
Here is a link for the kit (apparently I can link on my phone! Yay!!!)
trudijoy
8375 posts
yup we are, i haaaaaated Better than Sex haha.

The Rainforest of the Sea stuff smells fabulous btw, feels quite lovely too!
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
Oh that looks like such a good deal! Shame they only have two shades of foundation to choose from though. I think I've tried that tarte mascara before, it was good but didn't blow me away. Hope you have better luck with it!
MissQT
1547 posts
my faves are benefit roller and maybelline falsies. I have the urban decay one to try next too
RamblingRose
1280 posts
My favourite mascara is Essense the False Lashes Dramatic Volume Unlimited.  The wand is slightly tapered, making it easy to do the inner corners and lower lashes and the mascara doesn't clump but coats lashes well to make them look full and thick.  Best of all, it doesn't cost the earth and can easily be replaced every 3 months without breaking the bank.  I get mine from Price Wise Mega, but Farmers stock it too.  

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!