Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Eye shadow primer

52 posts, 31 members
Nishu
374 posts
Hi, I wish to know about good eye primers out there. I know Urban Decay primer potion is the best.. but its just so expensive. I have tried both of elf and I am not too happy about them! Has anyone tried NYX or loreal's one? any other recommendations?
ohlovelynicole
191 posts
Oh I tried the studio primer from E.L.F and it works well for me. I've heard really amazing reviews about Urban Decay's eyeshadow primer, but it's too pricey for me to try out out of curiosity haha.
Nishu
374 posts
ELF works for me for a while and then starts creasing. UDPP is seriously expensive but worth it I guess! I might bite the bullet some day!

Nishu
www.lipsnberries.com
xjayloux
900 posts
I love love love love love LOVE love love love.. The smashbox eyeshadow primer. The best one i have ever used.. As you can tell from all the loves! Haha

Its just so dreamy to blend, nice and easy wearing and long lasting. It is a bit pricy, but is definitely a must have (its pretty good as doubling as your eye concealer too!)
Nishu
374 posts
hey hun.. does it come in different shades too? where do you get it from? and how much?
Thanks!
P.S. after so many love's .. i am intrigued!
eszter
2 posts
What I found that worked best isn't actually a primer by name but its the Maybelline Eye tattoo eyeshadows in the little pots..
It is by far the longest lasting eyeshadows I have used, and the white (pearly colour) and silver colours work amazingly as a primer and make any eyeshadow you wear really pop on your eyes.
You can blend them out really well too, so for example with the white, if you dont want the eyeshadow on top to pop as much, it wont.

At $14 per pot, they last for ages and I love them! Highly recommended :)
Xtinastar
165 posts
i love the Shadow Insurance Anti-Crease Eye Shadow Primer by too faced. Its around $20 online, but it will last you forever as you only need a teeny weeny bit. Its amazing and doesnt crease
Nishu
374 posts
yup! maybelline color tattoos are definitely a steal!

Star.. where do you buy the too faced primer? $20 is pretty resaonable. Cheers!
ohlovelynicole
191 posts
I thought the Maybelline colour tattoos cost more than that, I'll have to check them out ASAP. I've heard really good things about NYX's jumbo pencils as a primer, milk seems to be a pretty common shade for a primer, I'm yet to try one but they're on my next online shopping list haha. 
Nishu
374 posts
NYX Milk is on my wishlist as well. It does crease on some people though. Still I'd like to try it!
tanitaandtia
144 posts
I've been wanting to try an eye primer forever! I think i will give the nyx jumbo pencil a go and the Maybelline eye tattoo.
Has anyone tried the Australias eye primer? I've seen it on special alot in a tube with a lipgloss type applicator
LisaE5
447 posts
I haven't tried a eye primer before, does it really work? I find that my eyeshadow tends to stay on the time I need it to so am interested in knowing the benefits of using it 
Nishu
374 posts
Nops! I havn't tried Autralis primer and would like more reviews on that one if anyone has used.

and yup,  I am definitely sure that eye primers help prolong the life of eyeshadow and prevent creasing too! win win

Nishu
www.lipsnberries.com
LisaE5
447 posts
Oh I have never thought about it to prevent creasing, I though it was just to keep the eyeshadow on. Thanks for your help
kemn2412
5 posts
I actually brought my Urban Decay 2nd hand from Trademe! I know it sounds weird, but because mine is in the squueze tube I didn't have to worry about contamination. I've had it for over a year, use it fairly regularly and I would say i've barely made a dent. It is so amazingly fantastic and worth the price!
meimei
81 posts
I have used the Australis eyeshadow primer and still continue to use it its pretty decent and has great lasting power

However on a night out when I need my eyeshadow to stay, really cannot go past the smashbox eyeshadow primer. Love this stuff and just works amazing under eyeshadows
covetthb
4 posts
I use "Stick It Too' Em" eye shadow primer by Sedona Lace and I love it. I put it on at the same time as my I do the rest of my face primer so by the time I'm uo to doing my eyes it's good to go. Pretty afforable too. 
bkiddier
18 posts
I did a wee experiment with my urban decay eye shadow primer and my MUA eye shadow primer and the MUA primer was just as reliable as the Urban decay one. I dont find that it creases at all and it keeps my makeup in place. Im looking foward to purchasing the colour tattoos. What is the best colour??
KrystleF
158 posts
The Smashbox eye primer is my fave one. Was so amazed at the massive difference it made the first time I used it. I also love using the MAC paint pots- the bare study one is a great primer with a slight shimmer to it. I love the colout tattoo's as well- Bad to the Bronze is my fave.
Iloveperfumes
132 posts
I highly recommend the Jordana eye primer its in a little black screw top pot and is a pale pinky beige shade and it is matte. It is fantastic and you can get it at $2 shops and other cheap variety stores. Alternatively Maybelline color tattoo in 'barely branded' does a really good job of holding shadow in place all day but it is slightly metallic in finish but doesn't really show up under shadow which is fine.
RachE14
82 posts
Can anyone know of a eyeshadow primer for sensitive skin? I have ultra sensitive  eyelids
RachE14
82 posts
Can anyone know of a eyeshadow primer for sensitive skin? I have ultra sensitive  eyelids
Diff74
61 posts
Clarins Eye primer pen is a good one eye find.  Light texture so not to make eyes heavy or irritated, and is great for prolonging eye colour wear.

tanitaandtia
144 posts
RachE14 i use the e.l.f studio eye primer and i get eczema on my eyelids and have sensitive eye(balls)haha and it is fine for me :)
RachE14
82 posts
Cool thanks for that, I cant even wear eyeshadow at the moment, so I thought a eyeshadow primer may be a solution, so thanks for the hint, and I absolutely love elf.
tanitaandtia
144 posts
I can't remember names of them but i got a nude one and a white one and it is quite shimmery with a few glittery bits could def use as an eyesahdow
beckyj7
40 posts
I have quite oily eyelids and found that I would have such nice eyeshadow just to have it sink into all my creases an hour later then I got recommended to try the lime crime shadow helper and seriously it is amazing!! I put a bit of that onto both my eyes then use a mac fluidline as a paint pot base (works better then using as an eyeliner lol) and then apply my eyeshadow on top and it stays perfect until I take it off at the end of the day
lenarose
313 posts
I use UD eyeshadow primer and it's amazing. My eye make up will look good at 9pm after a whole day of work and a jazz dance class. You only use a tiny bit so I think it's worth it.
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
I know it's expensive but I definitely recommend UDs primer potion. You really only need the smallest amount and it lasts a long time, makes your shadow look more intense and stops that gross creasing. 

If you watch trademe you can get it there for a reasonable price. It will last you a long time :)
accidentprone_x
845 posts
I am currently using the australis eye primer and I have found that it is really good stuff but have no idea how you would be able to use all the product but that is okay I bought it on sale a while ago for $10 in a kit
Susilia
484 posts
My first ever eyeshadow primer now works as a concealer, it's the Nyx skin coloured eyeshadow-primer, I didn't think it did anything against creasing or for lasting-power, nothing different than without! I've read an article about what you can use your eyeshadow primers for on the internet and for the skin colored ones it said they're really good as concealers, and were they right?? Yes, they were!!:) (Happily the color melts nicely into my skintone too)
itskaz_xo
199 posts
I'm in need of any eyeshadow primer, but I don't want to pay the earth for one lol. Any suggestions ladies? xx
Xtinastar
165 posts
also the nars one is really good as well! :)
I use the maybelline eye tattoo studio eyeshadows for my primers. Just use the closest shade to the eyeshadow you are using. I think it makes the eyeshadow stand out even more this way as well as giving it a longer lasting effect
Sophia
203 posts
Hey, thought I'd revive this helpful thread and see if there are any new ideas out there.
I've been trying out different primers and find almost all of then make my eyes water or the lids get hot. When my lids heat up all product over the vein on my lid disappears, no matter what I used on it, and a bare patch of eyelid shows.  I tried UDD, Lime Crime, Art Deco, Elf.  It's really frustrating because before I realised that my eyes were sensitive I bought 5 Chichi eyeshadow pallets. Also I think my eyes don't like many of the glittery shadows so am experimenting with that at the same time. 
The best luck I've had so far is in using cream eyeshadows or color tattoos, then adding some shadow, but it's really not the same as a pretty blended eyeshadow look. 

So anyway, has anyone with sensitive eyes tried anything other than above? What news is out there on eye primers & bases now?  
Someone commented on Clarins above - do they let you trial products before purchase?
Ringy
825 posts
I have an Elizabeth Arden eye primer that is quite good and lasting, come in a tiny white tube and is skin coloured sort of. I have tough as nail skin I think so can't comment on sensitivity. My daughter has sensitive skin, I could Guinea pig her and do a test patch(She's at school at the moment) which is not as bad mum as it sounds-I'm issuing her as a model for something in a couple of weeks so I'll have to test a few of my items to make sure - right before family photos I used a moisturiser on her that I use everyday and she went red like a Beetroot! So I do need to test stuff and I comment if no reaction tomorrow. 
Sophia
203 posts
Haha! That would be great if she doesn't mind.
Today I tried 2 new ones at Makeup Direct (both unpleasant, and with names I don't remember) and then went to Farmers for a tester of Clarins, which was possibly ok, though it had a strong fragrance. Silly me went out into cold wind afterwards so can't tell if eye watering was due to product or wind. Will do that experiment again in a mall. 
Macs
5351 posts
That's one thing I haven't used yet. I want to try essence after reading Kims review and Nyx as well. Urban Decays out of my price range. 
Sophia
203 posts
UD is expensive but I got a tiny tube on trademe from a US seller so didn't have to shell out more than $20 on that experiment :)
Macs
5351 posts
Funny you say that because I was looking at trade me . I wondered about authenticity. Good to see someone try them.
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
You can use concealer and set it from when you highlight ir colour correct your undereyes and then set with a skintone shadow or your undereye settingpowder but I do agree the UD primer is nice. In it's place I just do the concealer trick.
Sophia
203 posts
I haven't tried using my BB cream in place of the base, could I use the first layer of eyeshadow to set it?
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Concealer is what I use and I never put foundation on my lids or undereye just not my preference but yeah setting with a similar skin tone shade shadow will set it or your transition shade either either
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I have an e.l.f. Eyelid primer but I tend to use a light brown cream eyeshadow as a primer instead.  I can't wear this cream eyeshadow on its on as it creases badly, but I find if I use it under powder eyeshadow it lasts all day and so does the powder eyeshadow (even if it's a really cheap brand). 

Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I use a Sax eye primer and for myself it works great. Befroe usuing a primer designed for the eye I just used my everyday face primer which in reality works just as good. I have sensitive skin but the Sax primer doesn't irritate me at all.
Sophia
203 posts
Went to Farmers yesterday and re-tried Clarins, that gave a slight irritation. Tried Elizabeth Arden on the other eye, and that was OK. It dried nice & soft, couldn't tell it was there. At $53 a tube though, I need to try elf & chichi before purchasing. Such serious bizniz!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I have sensitive eyelids and use the Elizabeth Arden primer without any problems. For years the only eyeshadow I could use without flare ups was Mac. Even Clinique used to set them off. 
Sophia
203 posts
I wish they would sell smaller tubes to allow for a longer testing period. I find that I tolerate some of them once but 2 or 3 days in a row and my eyes start watering again. 
Decided to get Chichi primer after testing next to a NYX one today. Found a 98% new one on TM for $10 so that's a cheap experiment
Sophia
203 posts
Thought I would update this  thread as it is a useful resource....
the Chichi primer made my eyes water immediately so had to stop that trial.
After that I gave up for a while. Last week as a last ditch attempt I bought some ELF mineral primer from iheal on Trademe,  and it's OK. Like the other ELF primer I tried, it didn't make my eyes water but I had doubts about it sticking.
The first time I tried it, I used quite light shadow and it seemed to have creased. today I went with bolder shades and allowed the primer some time to dry before applying shadow, and lo and behold , it has stayed on my eyes all day! It seems too light to survive a sweaty gym session but it will make a nice change for the weekend. 
So, I definitely recommend trying this primer, but you'll likely only find it at a couple of sellers on TM, as Kmart only have the other variety which I have already condemned for my purposes.
good luck, and hope my findings were helpful :-)
Rezee
1964 posts
Sophia, do you have quite oily eyelids? I do, most shadow will crease on me! I really like Macs, paintpots. I also always set it with a skin coloured eyeshadow all over before putting more shadow on. I also find that spending more on a better quality shadow makes a difference too.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!