Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Eye makeup moving?

13 posts, 10 members
Sophia
203 posts
I have a recurring issue with eye makeup and am wondering how common it is. To explain the background, I think my eyelids are a little oily, and they are somewhat hooded - but not completely.  I tried a range of primers and they either didn't keep the shadow on, or they made my eyes water.
For the last year or so I've used Color Tattoo & the occasional Paint Pot, and I find that a few of them stay on all or most of the day, with only occasional creasing - it's good enough that I made it my routine. I'll often use a little shadow on top also.
So anyway (get to the point!) ...What happens is, where the main vein is on my eyelid, the shadow often rubs off in the shape of a droplet. If I close my eyes there's a blank spot of skin in the middle of the lid.  
It really bugs me! To the point where me, Mrs Low Maintenance/only take lipstick out for touch ups is now thinking of taking cotton buds to work so I can smudge it around to look less noticeable. 
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
Wow, I've never had my eyemakeup shift that badly. The maybelline colour tattoo eyeshadows are semi creamy formula aren't they? Having you tried applying a powder form eyeshadow over that? Almost like how you'd set your makeup with powder after applying foundation.
Sophia
203 posts
Yes, that's pretty much what I do most days. Sometimes what happens is the crease gets lighter only, and I end up with an accidental cut crease look, which is fine by me haha!

I'll try get a photo next time it does it.

Maybe I have fat eye veins !!
trudijoy
8375 posts
I only ever put colour on my lashline these days and avoid my kids lol. I swear by the Urban Decay Eden primer potion; the mattifying one, though
KiwiLass
174 posts
I have found this eyeshadow primer good, by Etude House. I used to have the same problem with eyeshadow, and had tried other primers that didn't work, but this one has been great.
JessB
219 posts
I've been having similar problems given my lids are sort of half hooded. It's such a pain after spending so long blending eyeshadow to get the right look!
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
You have probably tried this before but, what I do is use a concelar as a primer for my eyelid then I coat them with a setting powder before applying any shadow to my lid and I find that it helps my shadow last for a very long time.
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I have the same problems with eyeshadow rubbing off in the crease mainly. Since I have monolids I have to apply my eyeshadow higher to create a crease so when it creases in my natural crease it's disappointing considering how long I spend on my eye make up. But I have found that matte shades stay put alot better than shimmery and mettallic shades and if you were neutral shades it doesn't stand out as much when things rub off.
   I like using Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette because it's very pigmented, easy to blend and it's probably one of the most long wearing eyeshadow palettes you can find. It performs pretty well even with a not so good eye primer. 
   Another thing you can do is pick eyeshadows that are pretty pigmented, because the more layers of eyeshadow you have to apply the thicker the layer of powder on your lids the more powder that's not anchored down with a primer and that makes things more likely to crease or move and it's going stand out more.
Sophia
203 posts
Lots of good ideas and tips here, thanks my chickadees :-)
Julieal
915 posts
I think there are some really good ideas here as I have lots of problems with staying power and creasing too -Thank You.
Sophia
203 posts
A couple of weeks ago I bought the ELF under eye setting powder, supposed to be for concealer. but because it seems to be translucent, I've started dabbing it on Color Tattoo/Paint Pot before I put my shadow layer on.  So far so good, not perfect, but an improvement.

Those of you who can use actual primer instead of cream eyeshadow are lucky.  I tried 5or 6 primers, including some holy grails, and they either didn't work on my oily lids, or made my eyes hot.  
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Sophia, I have really oily skin and I use my face primer on my eyelids, and find it works well for me. 
Macs
5351 posts
I have three primers I use my benefit boing concealer, essence eye shadow primer and my normal face primer. All three work well for me. I always set my eye shadow with setting powder or banana powder afterwards.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!