Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Which Items in Your Makeup Collection Cost an Arm and Leg But Gets Alot of Love?

12 posts, 9 members
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I don't have a very large makeup collection, well in comparison to other people but I do happen to have some rather pricey items which I love and reach for a lot. 

- Hourglass Ambient Edit Palette (2015 Christmas Palette) - It was the first Hourglass Palette I owned and my introduction to the face powders, bronzer, blush and highlight. Cost me 128NZD. A lot of people complained it was too small. I actually like that it has 2 powders, a highlight, bronzer and 2 blushes. Especially considering I don't have many blushes or bronzers or highlighters in my collection. I love the natural glow and when I'm in a rush it's one of to-go options because it has everything in one place and Hourglass is one of those brands that's easy to blend and you can't really over apply it. 

- Hourglass Ambient Wardrobe - I bought this second hand and I had wanted this for awhile. This another one that's a to-go option. It looks gorgeous and gives my skin some glow and Hourglass products are difficult to over apply and blend seamlessly.

- Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette - You can read my review. I paid 80NZD for it before we had Sephora.nz but it's my to-go eyeshadow palette. Excellent pigment, easy to blend, minimal creasing at the end of a long, sweaty day. Provides an excellent neutral base for any pop of color I want to add, I can do any matte neutral eye makeup look. All I need to add is a touch of shimmer to complete my look and then I grab any shimmery or mettalic eyeshadow.

- Mac Twigg - Didn't cost me an arm and leg but it's the first Mac lipstick I bought brand new. (Yes, a lot of my lipsticks were bought second hand and sanitized, not the liquid lippies though). It's my to-go lipstick. It's a beautiful browny pink nude and it goes with any eye makeup look. If I apply blot, reapply, blot, reapply and powder it stays on a really long time and it doesn't feel extremely drying either.

I have recently added more high end products to my collection but I haven't used them enough to say whether they're to-gos yet. The four I've had here have been in my collection for over a year. So what are your high-end make items that were worthy splurges?
trudijoy
8375 posts
KVD Metal Matte palette...$95 and I adore it. My HG foundation is Stila and that's not cheap. My fave mascaras are by Urban Decay  and Benefit; also not cheap. My current thing is spending however much it costs to get things I LOVE (and something being high end or amazing doesn't mean I'll love it!) rather than having a huge collection of things I never use. I'm gradually panning things off to whittle my stash down to treasures
tannygirl
3392 posts
I agree! Makeup takes a long time to pan so it's better to spend more and get something you love than try to save some money and go for something you don't like and you're only going to reach for a few times. I definitely splurge on foundation I have a Bobbi Brown one that was over $100. Though I plan to switch to something more full coverage and matte or less dewy this year. 
kirstyj
1732 posts
Now that I have streamlined my makeup collection it is actually surprising how much is still my high end stuff.

The main one that comes to mind though is the Urban Decay, Naked 3 palette - Once upon a time I owned all three of these and this will soon be the only one I have. The shades are nice and light so great for me for everyday. I find being so pale a lot of the shades in the Naked 1 palette look way too overdone and dramatic on me.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Kirsty it's nice to buy special makeup, you're totally onto something there!  I'm gradually getting the collection down and LOVING panning
Macs
5351 posts
My four major eye shadow pallettes Too Faced Chocolate Bar, Tarte Swamp Queen, Smashbox Double Exposure and Make Up Geek Shadow vault over about $400-$500 just on those four. I use them all well. Got rid of all the other pallettes.

Just need a good foundation which seems to be a never ending journey to find my perfect match. 

My Tom Ford lippy most I've ever spent on a lipstick .It's beautiful and I would love to collect more . My La Splash is nearly finished my favourite nude. I probably won't replace but try and find a dupe for it. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I impulse/panic bought the Two Faced Chocolate Bon Bons palette when I was on a time limit in Sephora in the States recently. I've used to nearly every day since though. I still thinking Mac BB cream is ridiculously priced (in this country anyway) but it's still the one I always go back to. I actually traded in some ancient Mac I don't use for  'Twig' today. I then picked up an Essence lipstick for $5.40 as it looks identical to another Mac lipstick I'd just finished. 

I definitely agree with just buying the stuff you know you love regardless of the price, instead of collecting a load of things you don't. I'm trying to pan off all the things I don't love as well. 
Koni
444 posts
I agree with Trudi, buy what you love without making price a factor.  For me the two products that come to mind and that I've panned and repurchased:

Chanel - Soleil Tan de Chanel Bronzing Makeup Base
Natasha Denona - All Over Glow Shimmer Powder
SandyGedge
394 posts
I would have to say my Lorac Unzipped Pallette. I absolutely love all the nudes/bronzes and use it daily ;-)
swamphen
73 posts
My smashbox matte highlight, and my MAC foundation and powder are my precious use two hands super careful items in the bathroom items!!!

SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Oh Swamphen, I still haven't gotten over dropping an almost full Mac foundation on my friend's tiled bathroom floor several years ago. Waaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!
sam_clarkson
205 posts
My estee lauder Double Wear- Worth its weight in GOLD! 
 I will revisit this thread when I have finished unpacking all the makeups after having recently moved house

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!