Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

What features do you choose to spend more time on or emphasize? Eyes, Lips, Cheekbones, etc?

20 posts, 12 members
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I spend the majority of the time I put on makeup doing my eyes - I need my winged liner for my tiny Asian monolids and geez, we all know that getting your winged eyeliner right with normal eyes is hard enough!  And I spend a fair amount of time contouring my eyes and a bit of time on my eyebrows. But here's where gets funny, I open my eyes and because of my eye shape my eyes don't look overdone for a daytime look, however take the same eye makeup look and put it on someone else with normal eyes and you have sort of smokey eye look.

Now when it comes to my face, I don't actually spend alot of time on it, I apply my primer and foundation or my BB cream and then a bit bronzer, blush and hightlighter or if I'm really short on time I'll skip doing my cheeks and just add some concealor under my eyes and powder my face.

If I'm in a hurry I'll grab a neutral lipstick and apply as quick as I can. But honestly I would prefer to emphasize my lips, over my eyes because of my eye shape and the fact that I wear glasses and I don't want to apply falsies, but doing my eye makeup takes a long time regardless of whether I choose to emphasize them or not. Unfortunately, I suck at applying liquid lipstick or getting a defined lip, so whether or not a wear a liquid lipstick or darker, brighter lippy depends on if I have time to tidy up around my lipline with concealor and a brush after applying lipstick. 

So what features do you choose to spend more time on or emphasize? Eyes, lips, cheekbones, etc? Does one of features take the majority of your time putting on makeup even though it ends up taking a backseat to another area of your face? 
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I am the same as you. I love spending time doing my eyes and I love buying products to emphasise my eyes as well. I do like my skin to look flawless.. but that is a much harder task haha 
tannygirl
3392 posts
I agree trying to look flawless in daylight is night impossible, even on my good skin days I can't! But I'm planning on switching to a foundation that is more matte and has more coverage so that might help me get a bit closer to better looking skin. 
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Hmmm I ensure to do my brows from there is my cc cream setting powder then I contour or bronze at the sametime I do my lids contour or transistion shade which is my bronzer(sun bunny) it has matte light shade and shimmer dark shade then I go in with blush which I double as my lids shade or use my pink leapord bronzer or a highlighter from the Becca afterglow palette then spray walk away to brush teeth then apply my lipstick which is atm lipstick of choice is the Ofra miami fever with a touch of lip topper by jouer. So this is my quick look & I guess what I emphasis & spend time on is my face after my brows I have been getting people lately comment on me having lost weight (which isnr true its all here) they're saying my face looks slimmer but that's the contouring coming into play, which isn't a sharp contour I just do a matte bronzer then go over or above with too faced sun bunny bronzer it gives an ethereal look. So I guess I focus on my face. After all that dialogue long story short I focus on my face & I'm loving my It cosmetics powder brush for applying bronzer it doesn't disturb any of my base & blends like butter if melted on a toast & picks up product just right.
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I've always spent the most time on my eyes. But I'm starting to spend a little more on my cheeks too. And on a rushed make up day, my 4 shades of eyeshadow get cut down to 1 or 2.
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I think eyeshadow palettes and lipstick would be my favorite make up items to buy, and probably 2 of the things I use the most. And I always use eyeliner.
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
For me it'd be my eyes and cheekbone structure. I love a strong contour to make my cheek bone pop!
Koni
444 posts
My eyes because they're hooded and my lips because I just love the look of full plump lips.
Macs
5351 posts
I focus on my eye shadow in a big way. If I'm daring I'll do a wing and false eye lashes. I need a contouring kit to practice contouring. At the moment I just use my Too Faced Soul Mate Carrie and Big when I'm in the mood for it. Oh I'm looking for foundation all my current ones keep oxidising even with setting powder and primer. Looking at saving for Mac or estée lauder double wear.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Definitely eyes for me, especially since I broke out of my eyeshadow rut of wearing the same colours for years. I'm enjoying my new Too Faced Choclolate Bon Bons palette which I wouldn't even have considered buying a year ago lol. Everything else gets done really quickly. No bright lips for me at the moment as they just require too much maintenance throughout the day. 

Macs, both Mac and Estée Lauder are very generous with their foundation samples if you can get to a counter. I've got a sample of Double Wear somewhere which I never got around to trying.  I've stuck with Mac foundation and BB cream for years. 
Macs
5351 posts
I went into Mac Botany Downs I unsuccessful at getting a sample. I might try another mac store .I keep forgetting to ask for a sample when I go into Life Pharmacy for the Estée Lauder. 
I used to be all about the eyes, but now that I have kids I have learnt the beauty of lipstick - it's SO FAST to look like you made an effort with your makeup!  So now I'm BB cream, mascara and whatever lipstick I'm feeling for the day!
trudijoy
8375 posts
unsuccessful Macs, like you asked and they said no? That sucks

I tend to focus on my eyes, unless i'm in a massive rush in which case it's black eyeliner, mascara and bright lippy. Always manage my base though.
Macs
5351 posts
Yeah it was a no. I'll keep trying :D
tannygirl
3392 posts
That's really odd that the Mac Counter said no to giving out samples. Is there another Mac counter you can go to, Macs?
Macs
5351 posts
Im going to try St Luke's . Hopefully I will be successful there.
trudijoy
8375 posts
try the city/newmarket counters as well maybe?

I got one at Botany, I simply said I was in the market for a new foundation but because my skin is super fussy I had to be able to test things out, and they were really accommodating
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
I remember when I was in US I asked for a foundation sample at a Mac store and they said that anything with SPF they can't give samples of. Can't remember the reason but maybe that's the case over here too?
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Charmmy that is so strange?! What would be in spf that you couldn't give samples of it? Ah, America is a funny place. Mac can be funny too. I've had generous foundation samples from the old counter in Kirks. Then I've been to other counters where they haven't even looked/wouldn't look at me. If they had they would've noticed I had a full face of Mac on. Ha!
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
This is a cool thread.  I focus on two things.....my eyes and my lips.  I have expressive eyes anyway so mascara is always a must along with my brows because they frame my eyes.  On the same level would be my lips because that is where I tend to showcase my boldness whether it be a neutral or an in your face lippy it always has to be on point.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!