Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

The blusher/bronzer problem

9 posts, 8 members
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
As I've been updating my make up collection, I've noticed it's hard to find a blusher or bronzer that lasts all day. So anyone got a go to blusher or bronzer to recommend?
chikoboo
3402 posts
I find it all comes down to the base you lay it upon.  Do you start primer, foundation and powder for me that works 100% of the time with the types of blush I wear.  In general cream and liquid blushes wear down quicker than powder types as they break down in the natural oil of your skin, having a barrier like a makeup base helps this process to slow down, unless you are wiping your face alot then that will add grease, dirt and oils from your hands (sorry sounds gross but even the cleanest amongst us would still have these on their hands) which will rub/wipe away the colour.

Blushes seem to last until I wash them off personally, I only have MAC, Rovie, it Cosmetics, tarte, NARS and Charlotte Tilbury though and they are all powders.  I found that the it cosmetics and Rovie ones seem to last the longest though, the others stay the long haul but the pigments fade gradually over time.   Maybelline and Rimmel blushes on me just nope! they lasted about 2 hours and the colour was gone, so it is horrible to say but the quality you buy shows on your face (really didn't mean to sound snobbish, I ain't posh at all!!!)

However, even drugstore blushes can be extended with the introduction of a finishing spray over the finished look to help lock it in place for a longer period of time.  

Hope that helps somehow.
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
I totally agree with Chikoboo. Does your face get oily during the day? Could you do something to reduce this? Do you touch your face during the day? I find that NARS Orgasm and Laguna both last really, really well. 
idomakeupnz
150 posts
It all depends on your skin type really. I have oily skin and I used to find that blush/bronzer faded fairly quickly but since I have changed my skincare routine and use face products more suited to my skin I don't really have that issue.
Here's what I suggest if you're oily - use an oil control/mattifying primer. Use an foundation suited to your skin type and then powder. Spritz face with a setting spray and let dry. Then apply your blush and bronzer, going a tiny more heavy handed than you usually might, spritz again with setting spray (: that should help the longevity a bit! Using bluses that claim to last 12/24hrs would be your best bet too.
If you're dry I recommend proper face prep and then layering your blush/bronzer! To do this apply a cream blush/bronzer directly after foundation, let it set a bit and then apply your face powder. Spritz with setting spray and then apply your powder blush/bronzer, set with spray again and voila! 
Macs
5351 posts
I have the same problem. I've got some new ones to try out. I'll definately try some of these awesome tips out. 
Lutece
1849 posts
Chikoboo has explained this very well, normally blush doesnt last more than 6 hours on me x
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I have oily skin, so a powder blush or cheek tint works best for me.  I've tried a cream blush and it only lasts two to three hours before disappearing completely.  

My favourite powder blush at the moment is So Susan Universal Blush.  Before that, I was using Rimmel Lasting Finish Soft Colour Mono Blush. 

ModelCo Cheek & Lips Tint has worked well for me in the past, but you do need to remember to apply it after foundation but before you powder (same as you would a cream blush.  Creams and tints/stains don't apply well on top of powder).
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I haven't tried a setting spray so I'll have to try that. And maybe ditch the maybelline.
Jesse
745 posts
I also agree on making sure you prime and finish, as it makes all the difference.

I've had both oily and dry skin and have never had a problem with any of these lasting...
- MAC Bronzer
- Benefit Coralista
- Benefit Hoola
- Nars Orgasm

I also like NYX blushes. Maybelline I always found never lasted at all on me.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!