Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

The Anti-Haul

37 posts, 14 members
kirstyj
1732 posts
I ran into something super cool this weekend. I just found out about the anti-haul. The idea being a video/post online about things you AREN'T going to buy. In between Kimberly Clark does a fantastic series of videos HERE. Personally I'm loving this as a lot of YouTube and online blogs is about buying things, so when I'm trying to downsize I love this.

I thought it could be a cool idea for everyone to post things that they aren't going to buy here, and why.

Too Faced Peach Collection - although super cute I find it a wee bit gimmicky and it just isn't up my alley. I kinda feel like they are more choosing smells they like and releasing new collections that smell just to get more sales. I'm also not that keen on peach shades on my eyes, as I'm so pale I feel like it might look pink-eye like.

Urban Decay Naked Ultimate Basics - this is gorgeous. Part of me still really wants it. Past me would have totally purchased this along with the Naked Smoky palette just because "collection!". BUT I really don't reach for my eyeshadow palettes on a daily basis as it is. I would much rather pick a single shadow on a daily basis and sweep the shade over my whole lid. I don't need it.

Beauty Blender Bubble - Why are beauty blender brining out more shades! I can't imagine it does anything different than any other colour of blender. Do people really want to collect them all?

Anyway, looking forward to hearing what you aren't going to buy!
tannygirl
3392 posts
Sounds cool here's my short list:

- Anything from Kylie Cosmetics - I think the brand is overhyped and overpriced, there have been enough cases of products arriving faulty, smelling dangerously chemical or downright bad and poor customer service for me to ever want to buy from that company.

- Jeffree Star Beauty Killer Palette and Highlighters - I prefer a natural glow and I seriously don't need that much highlighter. The Beauty Killer palette has some pretty shades but I've been loving matte and a lot of neutral eyeshadows so much, I can't justify a palette with so many shades that I know I would have to put effort into reaching for just because there are other palettes I love way more. I do really like his liquid lippies though.

- More candles - I seriously fell in love with Scentsy bars and now that I have experienced ahmmazing scent throw and seriously the scent lasts for a good eight hours and the bars are very affordable, it's hard to justify spending top dollars for something the same quality. I do have candles but they are decorative and some more in the drawers as back up decorations, but I don't know if they're going to get lit anytime soon. 

- The Sweet Peach Eyeshadow Palette or Lip Oils - I haven't made the trip to Mecca Maxima yet to try them but I don't reach for lip glosses much and a lip oil sounds pretty similar. The Sweet Peach Eyeshadow Palette, I have some really nice browns and neutral shadows already and prefer mattes anyways so as nice as it probably smells I can't justify it. I do like the glow palette so I may buy that if I like it. 

- The Urban Decay Nakeds trilogy and the Smokey Naked - Really nice palettes but only like two matte shades or maybe four in the case of the Smokey palette and I can't justify purchasing palettes that I'm only going to reach for a few shades, plus I know I'll hit pan on those shades first and then have a palette full of colors that I'm not going to use hardly. I did spend a long time trying to talk myself out of the Urban Decay Naked Basics 2 because it's small and grabable and full of cool toned neutrals I would wear, not entirely off the table but not on the list in the near future.

- The Real Techniques Prep and Prime set - If you're an avid collector of Real Techniques you might feel the pull. But really the brush looks like a repeat of the foundation brush from a previous Christmas set and I have it and it applies foundation streaky. The eye roller sounds great but my favorite eye serum comes in a roller aready. The little stick for taking out the last bit of product out of bottles and jars, handy but I think I could find something else to use. So that just leaves the miracle complexion sponge and stand, which I can't justify +30 NZD for. 
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
The Kylie Jenner kits, people seem to love or hate them. I suspect I wouldn't be a fan from watching vlog reviews.

Any more Almay products. I brought a few things recently, I need to stop.

Charlotte Tilbury products. I so want to try them, but I'll wait till I've decided if I'm going overseas.
kirstyj
1732 posts
Oh yes, agree on the Kylie Cosmetics tannygirl and itsclearascrystal!I don't like that they are the same formula as Colourpop (apparently) but triple the price due to the Kardashian name. Plus overall I'm not in the market for liquid lipsticks at the moment. Interesting how many things we feel pulled towards because of the collector vibe rather than wanting it individually! Something I need to be more aware of.
tannygirl
3392 posts
  I do want to get one or two of the Charlotte Tilbury blushes at some point but then I don't have a huge blush stash at the moment just three shades and one eyeshadow I could use as a blush. I have been a quality not quantity type so I don't mind splurging on a really nice blush that I will use a lot. I have debated on whether to splurge on the Filmstar Bronze and Glow but want to check out cheaper dupes first. 

I should add rainbow highlighters to the anti-haul list. It looks pretty in the pan but my cheeks don't naturally, sparkle in the seven shades of the rainbow or with a bluish undertone, so I don't see the point of getting it. 

Koni
444 posts
This is great Kirsty, I'm going to check out those types of videos tonight to further inspire me on this downsizing journey. I've bought 3 new highlighters in Jan / Feb and I had to rehome 6 highlighters (rule is 2 of the same product types per new item must go) so here's hoping these anti-haul vids help!

Too Faced Sweet Peach Glow Palette - I've read mixed reviews and the only product that will most likely show up on my skintone is the highlight. If I'm paying for a palette - every single colour better work on me!

trudijoy
8375 posts
- Better than Sex Mascara (Too Faced) - so many people hate it that I can't be bothered trying when there are so many great mascara's out there!

- Kylie Jenner lip kits... suddenly a teenager is a makeup guru? Expensive, way too hyped, not that easy to get here anyway, WHY do i need to bother myself with this?

- things with icky ingredients, like placenta face creams. Just no. not worth it at all.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Oh and SO MANY of the palettes. Things like Huda Rose Gold ,ABH Renaissance, TooFaced (most of them tbh), Urban Decay Naked..... i don't use those shades so the 'holy grail' element of these escapes me.

and JS highlighters... purple and green are not highlighter colours, dude. Unless you're a teenager pretending to highlight notes when really you're just spelling things out and sending messages to your friend in your textbook
Imoshen
461 posts
Funny you mention Kylie Jenner products as I've just read on TMZ that there have been 15 complaints laid against the company for one of her eye shadow pallets stinking enough to give them headaches.  Apparently it's the "glue" *cough*.

My anti haul would have to be any skin care that contains fragrance :(.
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I have to disagree with you Trudi! I own JS skin frost in Mint condition and it's amazing! It makes you gllllloooowwwww! That's what highlight does right hahaha
trudijoy
8375 posts
i don't want to glow green haha

I'm' sure it looks great on you it's just not remotely appealing to me and the threads about what we wouldn't buy....
shazatron101
5112 posts
Yeah nah none of JS highlighters do it for me.. The pan is too big and they look chunky. plus I don't wear highlight anyway :P I wish over doing highlighter wasn't a thing. I really hate the sweaty look it puts out, especially above the lip :S The black one is the stupidest, if you want a black highlight find some drawing pencils, smudge that on your face. His liquid lip formula has taken a tumble off the cliff too so I don't think I'll be purchasing anymore of those. 

I also probably won't buy the Sweet Peach palette... The shades all look similar enough to what I have already.

Kylie/anything with Kardashian on it... I don't care who they are, we all know why they're famous, their stuff might look nice but neh. They don't need more money for their over hyped/priced .. thangs. 

MAC... I don't own anything of theirs, but I don't really plan to? I dunno. I know they're good, but again I think they're maybe a bit hyped. Of course, that's just my opinion. Not a brand for me, I guess!

Beautyblender full stop - I already have one, but I don't understand the hype or the price? It's just a sponge to me, which has already started to tear. I only use it every so often so I'm a bit peeved about that. I wouldn't repurchase, ever. 

Colorpop anything - I had two matte lippies and I didn't/don't like how drying/dry feeling they are. I'm sure their other stuff is nice but neh I'll stick to what I have already. 

False Eyelashes. I can't apply them. They are getting bigger and and thicker and it hides what you've actually put on your eye... plus if you don't choose the right shape (?) your face looks stupid. I also really hate that they're 10 feet long off your face. there's no need for dat!
Macs
5351 posts
For me it would be Urban Decay Eye shadows I probably wouldn't purchase from them but their foundation and concealer looks good. 

The lip topper trend by jouer and lime crime diamond topper I'm probably not gonna buy into that new trend.

Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Haha fair enough Trudi! Each to their own really :D

For me, I have no interest in owning anything Kylie related. I just haven't managed to jump onto that bandwagon.

Lime crime is another one that I won't purchase either.

There's not a lot I won't buy or give a try. But those 2 brands are a nope for me
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Oh yeah I should add false eyelashes. It's too fiddly for me I know it looks gorgeous and the couple of times I did wear them for a Beauty Review trial they made my eyes pop, but the trouble I have to go through to apply them I could only justify if someone else is going to put them on me, like my wedding day!

Eyelid tape - For those who don't know, eyelid tape is this thin tiny little strip that Asian girls stick to their eyelids to sort of glue/tape the monolids back and up to make more of their moveable lids visible and create a crease that is considered attractive. I never used it I don't want to think about how uncomfortable it might be to wear and peel off, plus if it unsticks during the day you're going to look odd with one eyelid crease and one tiny monolid. I much rather just accept that I have monolids and my eyes aren't the most attractive feature on my face. 

I totally agree Koni. I scrutinize every palette I buy and I don't have large collection but I like that I can use just about every eyeshadow shade or powder in my palettes and quads or have a good idea of how I can incorporate it into my look, without too much effort. 
Macs
5351 posts
I probably standing alone on this but I will buy at least one Kylie and Too faced peach products because they have been on my wish list for ages now. 
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Good for you macs! Buy what makes you happy x
trudijoy
8375 posts
I hear you on the Cupid's bow highlight Shaz
MissQT
1547 posts
I'm kinda torn on the Kylie lip kits. I half want one but then again I'm loving the colour pop ones.
tannygirl
3392 posts
- Lancome La Poudre Rose - I can't justify it, I can't! 1.6g of product for 60USD because it's sprinkled over a plastic rose and has Lancome branding! 1.6g of product! The average sized eyeshadow pan has more product than that. And youtubers are going crazy over it because the plastic flower has highlighter on it. As pretty as the rose looks, it's a plastic flower, a cheap plastic flower. No wonder Lancome did it as a limited edition item. I actually would find it slightly problematic when it comes to using the highlighter and that is the flower surface is uneven so you can't control how much your brush picks up. I was curious what everyone was going crazy for so I watched several Youtubers use it and then I watched this video where the guy takes it apart. I've seen products that are over hyped but this one takes the cake. 
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
I like watching Anti haul vlogs & I've been privy to purchasing products just cos of their rave & I ended up selling one palette just cos I wasn't using it to its potential.

Too faced sweet peach not shadows for me but the blush/bronzer/highlighter set looks like I need it.
I found that having the naked basics set has done the trick for me & if I wanted one of the Urban Decay palettes I'd be after naked 3 as those are the shades I feel comfortable to wear daily.
Tannygirl I like some of your items you list. I agree on the candle buzz usually I'd be all over repurchases of candles as you mentioned the scentsy bars & burners.I agree they do so much & end up more affordable in comparison but I haven't quite given up on the candle yet. Even though I agree with you.

Macs the lip toppers I was a sucker & fell for them & I have to say I actually like them, especially for this season it really gives the matte lipstick the look I like.

As for things I won't buy hmmm I will take notes from fellow reviewers & collaborate together with my own opinion then make the decision although if I impulsively purchase that's my alter ego doing the act. :P
kirstyj
1732 posts
Loving reading these ladies.

Hope it you enjoyed the videos and it gave you some inspiration Koni :)
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Keri, I was so crazy about candles last year before I bought Scentsy and because I wanted to have a candle burning every evening. Scentsy I can just leave on all night and day and I don't have to worry about having a candle burning on my nice wooden desk while I'm showering in the bathroom or extinguishing it waiting for it to cool down and then lighting it again after I am back in my room. I get at least 64 hours of  quality fragrance per bar which is around $7 if I buy the six pack bundle. You just can't beat prices like that. Plus I buy from another really lovely lady I got to know through BR and then facebook and I like supporting her, rather than some other brand. 
Macs
5351 posts
I recon you'd suit the toppers Keri. The Alter ego wins me over every time with make up lol 
Koni
444 posts
Reviving this thread because I find that it helps me when I share it with the BR universe :-)

Anastasia Beverly Hills x Nicole Guerriero Glow Kit
I'm only interested in 2 shades - not enough to justify dropping $70.
Macs
5351 posts
Out of all of anastasias highlighting kits that Nicole one has caught my eye. I've got a lay by so I won't be making any purchases until it's finished.
Koni
444 posts
Ohh I'm excited for you Macs! I'm with you on that one - out of all the glow kits I wanted this one the most but after seeing swatches I think I'd only use 2 of the shades so I'll just make do by admiring you and Keri's kit :-)
Macs
5351 posts
I cant wait to finish my lay by off. You have a beautiful collection Koni. Cant wait to see your next haul.

I need new running shoes. Probably will be my next major purchase.
Head Pixie
569 posts
Can we count how many times I have looked at that ABH/NG set since it became available? No. No we can't. The resistance is holding strong. But it's so preeeeeeeetty. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
  I'm not going to buy the Two Faced White Choc Chip Palette. I have the Matte Choc Chip one which I like because it's all matte and despite the size it has 11 fairly easy to wear shades. But the white one is mostly shimmery and frosted shades which I don't need as many and they don't show up well on medium to darker skin.
trudijoy
8375 posts
My anti haul will probably be that when I'm in aussie this month I won't go and buy all the things like I usually do but actually shop for things I need/love/will really use!
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I am so glad I read this thread because I dropped the not so subtle hint to my better half that I really wanted that highlight palette, maybe I should invest in an eyeshadow palette instead!
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
You know to justify the purchase of the abh x nicole palette you can always use the shades as eyeshadow if they don't suit you as a highlighter sorry so against the anti haul that this thread is about.
shazatron101, you cracked me up with you description of False Eyelashes lol!! I agree  :-) x
Macs
5351 posts
Ah I need highlighters . But I need shoes too lol. Almost have me convinced to buy it keri. 
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Totally understand what you're saying shoes first then maybe time for a highlighter lol. Seriously this highlighter though it's quite stunning to look at and to wear. It appears to be glittery however on your skin it sinks in & leaves a glow
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Ba ha ha great thread, one thing I definitely won't be buying is that sillisponge thing - the one that looks like a silicone patch that goes in your shoe to stop getting blisters, what is up with that lol.

I won't fall for the Kardashian/Jenner craze either as its just not me, I don't fall for the celebrity hype on makeup, beauty or perfumes as I don't think they are that great (just my opinion though lol)

As much as I love Ecoya candle scents, I will no longer use candles as I also use Scentsy. I will never go back either, the addiction is so real ha ha ha.

Definitely a no no for false lashes too, I just don't get them lol

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!