Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Matching foundation to face or neck?

8 posts, 7 members
ChristineHoll
152 posts
I've been told so many times now that I have a really pale neck (which is true, but still weird to say...) which is now really confusing me for choosing a foundation shade. If I match it to my face/jaw it's going to be darker than my neck so I run the risk of mask-face but if I match it to my neck I'm going to be super pale which might look weird/ashy with my darker skin. 

So what should I be matching my foundation to? I don't tan (fake or otherwise) so I kind of have to work with what I've got!
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I was taught to test foundation on my own (and clients) skin by doing a stripe from the lower cheek, over the jawline and onto the neck and to select the foundation colour that best matches  the skin (disappears into the natural skin colour).  

Skin on the neck can be a lot lighter than the face, especially on someone who tans, so don't match the colour to the neck alone.  If your neck is lighter than your face and chest, match the colour to your cheek/jawline and to your collarbone and then make sure to blend your foundation from your face, down your neck and into your collarbone to even out the lighter skin on the neck and avoid any "tidelines" where foundation ends.  I hope this helps.
Designer-mic
249 posts
Great answer ....for me anyway Silvene. Thank you.
ChristineHoll
152 posts
Thanks Silvene! I think my jawline is lighter than the rest of my face so it could be a happy medium.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
You could also ask someone at a beauty counter to colour match you as well if you're feeling like you need a second opinion.
Macs
5351 posts
Thats a good question to ask.I haven't ever considered matching my neck to face I normally just blend the same colour down my neck.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I match to my face, blend into my neck and tone it together with powder/bronzer/whatever is needed... my neck is more pale than my face naturally (gets less sun i guess!) but i put my face fake tanner on it :)
Lutece
1849 posts
Oh I hear you! This is one of the most annoying things to go through :( I have the same problem, brown face and a pale neck and chest, for me I meet inbetween, I go a shade lighter on my face which is normally a shade darker on my chest, if there is a noticeable difference I add some matte bronzer to my neck and chest.

The maybelliene fit me powder and the Rimmel natural bronzer are both amazing recommendations to get a natural looking tan for your chest and neck

Good luck :)

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!