Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Make up Brushes

17 posts, 13 members
Shazzaali
45 posts
Just wondering how you all clean your make up brushes? I'm pretty lazy at cleaning mine (terrible I know) and have noticed that everytime I do clean them they start shedding. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
kayxcake
422 posts
I clean my makeup brushes with normal shampoo, in a circular motion on the inside of my palm then I fill a cup with water and dip my brushes in the cup of water and rinse out the dirt. I repeat this until the water in the cup turns clear. Some of my brushes start shedding everytime I clean as well but these brushes are mainly cheap ones I buy off eBay. Some of the pricey ones I've used and cleaned are still in shape etc...  I am sure you are cleaning it the right way ^^ maybe just the quality of your brushes? I am so bad at cleaning my brushes too *sigh*  How do you clean your brushes? 
1139 posts
Oh that is so frustrating! I think the shedding can have something to do with the quality of the brushes, but if it's not that then it's probably the way you're washing them.

I'm no expert but I wash mine with baby shampoo and slightly warm water. I put a tiny bit of shampoo on the brush, wet it a little and swirl it around on the palm of my hand. Then I add more water and swirl again, and I keep doing this until there's no shampoo left on the brush. You have to be careful to not put too much of the brush in the water otherwise the water and shampoo can loosen the glue that holds the bristles in. Hope this helps you in some way!
Cat
474 posts
I also wash mine with baby shampoo and keep the water below the top of the metal part on the brush as, like mentioned, the water will get into the handle and destroy the glue holding the bristles. I also swirl the brush around my palm into the shampoo then rince the same way till water runs clear. I've had no problems with shedding, I only own Real Techniques, Sigma and a few Sedona brushes.

The Sedona brushes are the only ones I've had a problem with, so I'm thinking it's to do with quality and not my care. 

Also drying your brushes having them facing in a downward style will prevent water getting into the glue too.

raniwelsh
104 posts
Im another baby shampoo user! I also use the circular motions on the palm of my hand, then run under the tap . I lay them down flat to dry and they seem to keep their shape pretty well. I actually have to clean mine today lol! thanks for the reminder :)
mkltsullivan
85 posts
a little olive oil(I love olive oil,use it to remove all my make up,perfect for eye make up removal!) and some dishwashing liquid in a dish. In a pinch if I am out of olive oil I use baby oil with dishwashing liquid and dip,swirl,rinse and leave them laying flat to dry
belindaledwards
111 posts
I just use my normal hair shampoo, cleans the brushes well, and haven't had any problems with shedding.
Imoshen
461 posts
LOL I must be the only one that cleans them with my foaming face wash :). 

It makes sense to me, you use brushes on your face so any residue left over from washing them is on the brush and since you don't wash your face with shampoo ...
JamieLynneKirk
157 posts
I wash mine with facial cleanser :)
chikoboo
3402 posts
I just ruined my only set of brushes by using my normal shampoo :( so I think when I get my new set I'll buy proper cleaner especially if I get the more expensive ones I have fallen in love with (sigma mrs bunny set) fumbling on with all the bristles falling out until pay day for now lol, so I feel your pain.   

However before I ruined my revlon set I was washing them in gentle baby shampoo, which is a double duty product in my house as I wash the dogs with it too, had been doing that for the past 2 years with no problem whatsoever, just don't use a normal shampoo!
belindaledwards
111 posts
Oooh maybe I won't use normal shampoo anymore :-) I've used it on my real techniques brushes but don't want to risk them getting wrecked. I might have to investigate some proper brush cleaning solution.
tannygirl
3392 posts
I clean mine with baby shampoo. I fill up a bowl of water and put some baby shampoo in it and then swirl the brushes around. I haven't particularly been careful about not getting the ferule wet but my brushes have held their shape for several years. I only have a few brushes. My eye brushes are Elianto and I have the kabuki brush from Antipodes and my current blush brush is Valkyries A-8. I ordered some RT brushes from Amazon. I'm waiting for them to arrive. :-)
Rhiannon135
74 posts
Thanks for the tips - I might try baby shampoo or a foaming face cleanser now too!
Imoshen
461 posts
Vodka is pretty good (one for me, one for the brush, one for me, one for the brush)   ;).
chikoboo
3402 posts
Haha love it!! Imoshen, but after the 4th shot you'll probably wouldn't care how clean your brushes were lol :)
annaliesew832
44 posts
Baby shampoo and olive oil!! :) 
Shazzaali
45 posts
Thanks guys! I used to use normal shampoo but I will be keeping my brushes away from it now. Might try face wash - brilliant idea me thinks :)

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!