Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Love the Product, Hate the Packaging!

19 posts, 11 members
tannygirl
3392 posts
     Is it just me or does anyone else find that some the best products come in dud packaging. Or just wonder what was going through the company's creative teams' brains when they took the amazing product and then decided to house those amazing eyeshadows in packaging that just gets dirty so quickly. 

I love my Nars Laguna but I hate how quickly the outside gets dirty and there's no way to get it clean. I was so tempted to buy that Jumbo Nars Languna (even though I did go through my collection and discovered I had collectively over 10g of bronzers that work well as contour powders and it's a limited edition product that came out 2 years ago, look online for the reviews), because the material on the limited edition one isn't the rubberised dust magnet one that houses all of Nars products. 

I also really want to treat myself to the ABH Modern Renaissance at the end of the year if I've been good with my project pan but the material is velvet. Velvet! What was the creative team thinking releasing top quality eyeshadow in a case covered in a material that attracts dirt, dust and stains and would look ratty in short time? They've come out with a new palette the Soft Glam palette and it's supposedly as good as Modern Renaissance and they've also housed it in a velvet case!

So what products do you love but unfortunately the company decided to put in packaging that isn't to your liking? Have you come across a way to keep the said product packaging looking clean and new, other than depotting them to a Z-palette?
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
That's crazy tannygirl because I loved that velvet packaging!! I thought it suited the theme of modern renaissance and also the shades inside really well. I suppose I don't care so much that it gets dirty since I display my palettes on a rack thing so they all look impeccable haha.
Koni
444 posts
I use a lint roller from Countdown to clean the packaging of my NARS blushes / highlighters - works like a charm.

Unfortunately it doesn't work so well on WHITE rubberised packaging so my lipstick cases from the MAC x Toledo collection look like a vintage off-white that even isopropyl alcohol can't fix.
tannygirl
3392 posts
Oooh which one did you use Koni? I tried one with the peel off sheets and it didn't seem to do anything for my Nars products.
MareeB
5241 posts
I bought my bestie some Olive products from Mighty Ape for her birthday recently. It came in a courier bag with bubble wrap but the soft box was really crushed. That's annoying when it's for a gift.
alikat
423 posts
Okay ya'll I have the secret to getting your NARS packaging (Black AND White) looking like new again. Makeup wipes. Makeup wipes take makeup off your face, and it shouldn't come as a surprise that it also takes it off.... makeup packaging. I get my alikat paw prints post-foundation application all over my laura mercier loose powder, nars smudgeproof, nars blush, and makeup wipes fix it all.
Kimrose
1416 posts
Make up wipes are totally amazing! I use them for so many things like coffee slops down my work shirt in the morning, foundation off just about everything!  I even have them in the car.
MareeB
5241 posts
Me too Kim - the more  I use them, the more uses I find for them! And I've been buying them for $2 at the Warehouse, their own brand,  - as good as any others.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Haaaaaaaaate make up wipes!!!! Give me a good old flannel any day. 
MareeB
5241 posts
Hahaha soozie you're a card. You can have a flannel, it's all good :)
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Yeap, just used my good old flannel Maree and my face feels sooooooooo clean lol. Seriously, since I gave up make up wipes and started hot cloth cleansing, my skin's the best it's ever been. 
MareeB
5241 posts
Mmmm I can feel the hot cloth cleansing down here in the cold south! 
Macs
5351 posts
I admit to using micellar water to clean make up stains off my eye shadow pallettes and lip stick . 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I'm super fussy with makeup wipes. Most I've used tend to give me a burning sensation and I feel like my face is on fire. The only ones that have been good are the Simple Makeup Wipes and believe it or not the Proactiv ones which is weird because the actual product burns my face ha ha ha.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I'm with Soozie ... I perfer a hot flannel on my face.  I do have a pack of make-up wipes in the bathroom cupboard and may use them on my face on the very rare occasion, but mainly use them for cleaning make-up smudges off collars of shirts before putting the shirts in the wash (I'm one of those lazy people who doesn't remove make-up before getting undressed.  I do all my make-up removal, oil cleanse and foaming cleanse, in-shower).

MumOf3, have you tried SkinFood's wipes?  I find them much softer than the Simple ones and  they don't dry out as quickly.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Back to the topic of this thread ... I recently purchased a tub of Lush Rub Rub Rub.  I love the scrub but hate the screw top tub.  It's really difficult to use in the shower and grains of the scrub always seem to get in the thread, making it tricky to close again.  I think a squeeze tube or one of those shampoo-style bottles with the push down flip top would be so much easier to use.
EliseMM
120 posts
I am so lazy with skincare that I will practically only buy things that come in a pump bottle. I love body butters, but the screw top lids are super annoying, especially when you're in a hurry to get ready and just want to slap some moisture on your skin and go.
Koni
444 posts
Oh no! I use the peel-off sheets - such a bummer they didn't work out for you :-(
tannygirl
3392 posts
      I have this concealer, the Saem (Asian brand) that was given to me. It's a decent concealer, well one of my only concealers atm. But I can't open or use it without it leaking some always leaks out of the lid with the applicator and I need to wipe the tube twice every time I apply it. I used to have this in my makeup bag but it leaked every where so now it's standing up next my skincare so it's easier to clean. 

I'm thinking of trying the Nars or Toofaced Born This Way Concealer and I really hope this won't be an issue with those tubes.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!