Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Highlighter for super oily skin

8 posts, 5 members
This is one of those items I really want to use but my skin is so oily and somehow flaky(?) I have no idea where to start. Seriously, when I use oil blotting papers, it's not one or two but something like six. 

Does anyone have a suggestion for one that could work for me? I'd prefer one that is more subtle and not as easy to go overboard on! I should also mention I'm quite pale but am super yellow if that helps.
tannygirl
3392 posts
I would recommend Hourglass highlighters or more like their face powders. The thing I love about Hourglass is they are more of a glow then bling, bling like you would see with some other brands like say Becca for example. Also I noticed that their blushes, bronzer, face powders are easy to work with even if you're a bit heavy handed. I hope this was helpful.
tannygirl
3392 posts
Oh and I don't know if your skincare routine includes it already, but perhaps a clay or mud masque or an exfoliator would help with the flakiness and then a lightweight serum  and/or moisturizer to help balance out the oil production. Oasis Fruit Smoothie is amazing and I think their Straight Up is great for oily skin. Living Nature has some amazing lightweight gel moisturizers and Tailor skincare's moisturizer also is amazing. 
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I have only bought my first highlighter just over a month ago, and it is powder, highlite or something, it is either australis or chichi. I would highlight my whole face because I can if I could get away with it. I would look at powder more than cream or liquid for you at present as with the oil they could slide on your face.
You should treat the oil issue as well, is this a constant thing or is it something new? have you changed anything in your routine recently?
I can suggest the palmers cocoa butter enzyme mask or the Freemans Pineapple enzyme mask both have been reviewed on this site, I would link but it doesn't want to work for me. They would both assist with the removal of flakey skin and the Palmers as it has clay in it would help with the oil. Sometimes fighting oil with oil works as well and people use an oil cleanse rather than foaming cleansers, I use a combination of cream cleanser and foaming cleanser.
Koni
444 posts
I have oily skin and I agree with Tannygirl.  If you want a subtle highlight without the typical shimmer than Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders (or palette) is a good option. It works on many skin tones and accomplishes the same results; a lit-from-within radiant glow :-)
Thank you for all the suggestions! The Hourglass ones seem very promising from what I've seen.

I do try to curb my oily skin but it doesn't always work to my great frustration. I used the Mizon All-in-one snail cream from a sample last night and somehow my skin wasn't an oilfield when I woke up so that looks to be my next purchase when I run out of everything I'm using right now!
tannygirl
3392 posts
Actually now that you mention it, I think Korean brands are a good option for oily skin and very affordable. The climate in Asia is fairly hot and humid and so they like their products a bit more lightweight, plus they like layering on a lot of products and if they were heavier or took awhile to absorb it wouldn't be conducive to their typical ten or more steps skincare routine.
Macs
5351 posts
Im oily only in Summer. Normally I use my loose pigment highlighter from Bonbon. I am curious about hourglass. 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!